Fasting Diet / 5:2 diet Buddies Wanted ????

Options
Hello I'm
Starting the fast diet / 5:2 diet Monday
Anyone else doing this or thinking if and would like a buddie ?
Please add me
Thanx x

Replies

• sadiecara
    sadiecara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Starting this week. Today is my first 'fast' day.
  • LisaRN1983
    LisaRN1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am doing a similar diet... started today! Called the 8 hour diet, works similar to the 5:2, same action on the body (intermittent fasting) I am in!
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I eat a perfect auto immune paleo diet (very restrictive) and yet I have a difficult time losing. I have added in Intermittent Fasting (same idea as 5:2). I can't swear by it since this is new to me. There is a large group here too if you haven't joined that yet?
    I will send a friend request.

I have decided because of the bounce up and down in calorie intakes to set my nutrition goal at maintenance level and then I just seek to have a varying deficit depending on whether it is a fast or non-fast day.

Good luck.
  • sheilaq14
    sheilaq14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am one week into the Every other day diet and I have lost 5 lbs. Would be happy to add friends who suffer through fasting days too.

Charleigh78- how do I find the large group you speak of? Fairly new to MFP.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Exactly how does this work? I was going along and losing consistently until 2 weeks ago and since then, nothing. I clearly need to try something new.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day IF (JUDDD) for weight loss and used 5:2IF as a transition from that plan, into maintenance :) Worked great for me!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day IF (JUDDD) for weight loss and used 5:2IF as a transition from that plan, into maintenance :) Worked great for me!

IF is new to me, so sorry if these are dumb questions:

What is JUDDD?

How did you calculate the calories on your fast days? For instance, if someone is eating 1500 calories a day, how many do they omit one day and then add to the next day(s)?

At the end of the week, do your calories still average out to 1500 so you just vary each day as to the number eaten?

I assume 5:2 is fast 2 days and eat more on 5. Does what you eat matter or is it just cycling your calories? I'm not one to stick to some predetermined list of foods, but can easily stay within a calorie range. If 5:2 is some sort of thou shall not eat these foods diet, it won't be for me!

Thanks in advance.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

IF is new to me, so sorry if these are dumb questions:

What is JUDDD?

How did you calculate the calories on your fast days? For instance, if someone is eating 1500 calories a day, how many do they omit one day and then add to the next day(s)?

At the end of the week, do your calories still average out to 1500 so you just vary each day as to the number eaten?

I assume 5:2 is fast 2 days and eat more on 5. Does what you eat matter or is it just cycling your calories? I'm not one to stick to some predetermined list of foods, but can easily stay within a calorie range. If 5:2 is some sort of thou shall not eat these foods diet, it won't be for me!

Thanks in advance.

JUDDD is the nickname for alternate day IF (given to the Dr. who kind of first started the whole thing, with his book The Alternate Day Diet, a few years ago-Dr. Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet :smile: ). I got my down day calories from the calculator on his site and on my up days I ate as I wanted and didn't really track, but spot checking put my calories in the 1,700-2,100 range on average. Weekly-it changed a bit, but a rough average would be 1,300-1,800 calories a day. It was always changing though.

There are no food lists/rules-it's all about the calories :) Feel free to send me a message if you'd like more info/help getting started!
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 4:3 , modified 5:2, to start and this is my 2nd week. I'm down about 3-4 pounds and I have to admit I feel really good. I read Mosley's book, and another book about ADF.

I have had little to no problems sticking to it on the Fast Days, I find it easier to eat nothing ( except drink tea, black coffee, water) until my evening meal , which is between 400-500 calories. And like others have said, on the non-Fast days, I am not feeling that urge to go wild and eat everything in sight.

I was attracted to this plan because I tend to be excellent one day, then bad the next. I wanted to do this and be organized and structured.

So far, I believe it's working for me, and better, I feel it's maintainable. When I get to my goal weight, I'll do 5:2 to maintain, or maybe even 6:1.

We shall see.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm
    Starting the fast diet / 5:2 diet Monday
    Anyone else doing this or thinking if and would like a buddie ?
    Please add me
    Thanx x

I started the ADF mid January, so far I am down 3-4 pounds. I started cold turkey and have no problems to date. As long as it is not cold I am fine. I eat one meal a day in the evening, exercise for 30 minutes on fast day and at least 45 minutes on non fast days.

I do feel a lot better and will continue until I reach 140, then move to either 5:2 or 4:3.
  • CatB134
    CatB134 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started a couple of weeks ago, and i'm finding it easier than expected!
    Happy to add anyone that wants an extra friend along the way :smile:
  • pixieandpirate
    Options
    I started the 5:2 eating plan in september to mid december & lost 1and 1/2 stone. Should have kept it up but have restarted this week
    Had no problems, best thing was something just clicked and found myself not over eating on non fast days
  • Marinaclare
    Options
    started today. sofar so good! thank goodness for coffee!
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Such an interesting read, you have all given me an added element of inspiration. I am not on IF or any fasting programme currently myself however, I have always liked the idea of it. I am on The Dukan diet which can be restrictive at times but not as much now as it as become second nature to me....my body doesn't seem to like grains.

I wanted to add my comments in because last year when I successfully lost weight by low carbing, I was unknowingly following a Leangains 16:8 approach and lost weight a lot faster. This is because I would wake up and exercise around 10am and perhaps not eat my first meal until midday and then throughout the day I would eat until about 8pm thus, giving me a 16 hour fasting period. I was working from home for that period and since then my lifestyle has changed somewhat as well as now living with my boyfriend who always has to eat first thing in the morning and eat heavy.

So to summarise, I do believe the body somewhat responds to fasting periods positively no matter what you eat. So much can be said for controlling intake and allowing your body that 'rest' it deserves. Oh and here's a final example for thought.....my boyfriend (now of 2 years) is probably one of the fittest guys I personally know (previous European Fitness champion) but currently suffers from high blood pressure (doesnt take any supplements btw). He eats a tremendous amount of food everyday and I this I feel could be reversed by trying the 5:2 approach. I am going to try getting us both on IF .........watch this space :)
  • MrsBlessedOne
    MrsBlessedOne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Restarting IF/5:2 today. I had great success with it in the past, going from 135 to 118. It's been the only thing I have been successful with and actually find it pretty easy to do and turned into more of a lifestyle then a diet for me. Not sure what got me out of it. So anyways...starting today and very excited! I need friends on MFP to help hold me accountable, please friend me!

2/6: 120.6
    2/13:
    2/20:
    2/27:

BTW...I'm 5'0" and 26 goal of 110 UGW 105ish. Will check in weekly or more often. Sending well wishes to everyone!!!
  • I started yesterday, managed 530 cals and wasn't as hungry as I thought I'd be! Would be happy to accept friend requests from anyone else on the 5:2 diet x
  • michellesoria
    michellesoria Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Started the 5:2 plan on sunday today is my first fasting day...Please add me and thanks!
  • czv1913
    Options
    I started two weeks ago. Lost 2 the first week, then gained them back this week..ugh. But I have been really sick this last week, so maybe that had something to do with it. Looking forward to losing these last 12 pounds.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Further to my post above, I have decided to incorporate the 5:2 alongside my low carb for this weekend . The reason for this test is that :

- I will be travelling (internationally) for exactly 2 weeks where I find it harder to eat the foods i need/want, experience jet lag, drink and therefore prone to weight gain.
    - I am probably due to plateau due to my natural ladies cycle coming up shorty so this will be a good time to try and eradicate this.

The caveats I will attach to my test are:
    1. I probably will not be able to determine my fast days well in advance because of the nature of my job/schedule however, I will aim to achieve 4 days in 14 as required.

2. As I will not be travelling with my scales (ironic as my bags are always overweight), I will be guesstimating weights/calories from available foods and will therefore allow myself a 100 calorie buffer in case I should slip over.

Wish me luck, I travel on Wednesday 12th and I think my first FAST day will be Thursday.
  • hollybk1
    hollybk1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just started the Fast Diet last Thursday and I'm already down 3 lbs!