Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

No Wheat No Sugar No Dairy No Alcohol

I was reading Darya Rose's book Foodist (great book, highly recommend) and she suggests going 2 weeks with no wheat, sugar, dairy and alcohol as a sort of cleanse of the system. Has anyone done this, and if so what are some tips to get through those first few days? Thanks!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Does your liver not work?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Not sure but sounds similar to Dr Hyman's detoxification of the body by avoiding oatmeal, milk, fish(tuna), meats, pasta, potatoes, and so on. Honestly sounds hokey to me. Hokey meaning: cannot I eat these things as part of my IIFYM and meet my goals?
  • I haven't done any "cleanse" because I personally believe they are a waste of time.
    Proper nutrition, water, and exercise will cleanse your system. I don't think there is any need for a "don't eat this or that for x amount of time" type of approach because it's not at all necessary. Or realistic.
    Just my opinion.
  • aevonvett
    aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
    My liver is fine. I am trying to eat less processed foods, so I thought this might be a good way to jump start the process.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    No wheat, sugar, dairy or alcohol. hmmmm... don't think I could do it. :(
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Sounds fun. :ohwell:

I'll be honest, I don't see the point of restricting any of those things unless you have a genuine medical reason to do so, or in the case of alcohol, if you are an alcoholic or have issues controlling intake. Those things are all part of my diet, and I've not only managed to lose weight, but am very healthy too.

I've not read the book, but what does she suggest is being cleansed exactly? Words like "cleanse" and "detox" get thrown around frequently, but it's often unclear what exactly is being cleansed, and why your body isn't naturally doing its own cleansing.

And, at the risk of further nay-saying, what is the point of only ding it for 2 weeks? Any benefits will surely disappear once you go back to your usual diet.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    I understand cutting back on some of that, but really that sets most normal folks up for one heck of a binge at the end.

A good approach to this new diet thing is don't cut out anything you aren't willing to give up forever. Because at some point you will reach goal weight and have to live in the world surrounded by all those things.

Unless you are sensitivities to all of those things, I see no need to do that.

One factor is just the headaches you will get from just giving up the sugar alone if you are not used to it. A diet that goes that radical can play havoc on regularity issues.

But if you really want to go ahead, but it seems a bit drastic.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    No. Just, no.
  • My liver is fine. I am trying to eat less processed foods, so I thought this might be a good way to jump start the process.

Then eat less processed foods. However, there's no need to deprive your self of food you like or cut out any specific food groups to do it. Just stay within your goals and introduce whole foods into your diet. There's no reason you can't have wheat/sugar/dairy/alcohol as long as you stay within your macro and calorie goals.
  • Sounds fun. :ohwell:

I'll be honest, I don't see the point of restricting any of those things unless you have a genuine medical reason to do so, or in the case of alcohol, if you are an alcoholic or have issues controlling intake. Those things are all part of my diet, and I've not only managed to lose weight, but am very healthy too.

I've not read the book, but what does she suggest is being cleansed exactly? Words like "cleanse" and "detox" get thrown around frequently, but it's often unclear what exactly is being cleansed, and why your body isn't naturally doing its own cleansing.

And, at the risk of further nay-saying, what is the point of only ding it for 2 weeks? Any benefits will surely disappear once you go back to your usual diet.

This also. If you only do it for two weeks, and then start eating the same foods again, wouldn't you in essence be putting the same "bad foods" back into your diet that you just did a cleanse to get rid of? It's just not realistic or necessary.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    My liver is fine. I am trying to eat less processed foods, so I thought this might be a good way to jump start the process.

Changing your diet will do what you are thinking this cleanse will do...drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods and your body will love you - you don't need to eliminate food groups.
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    I've done this this month, not on purpose but just trying to get back to basics (except I have been having Greek Yogurt about 1/2 cup day).

I was surprised that I did not have any issues, headaches, etc. It was really easy. I definitely was eating more fats (nuts, natural PB, avocados, etc.) Maybe thats what made it easier.

I did it for a month. The only thing I noticed is I needed some carb drink on my bike when I rode over an hour or so. Today I took a drink (Endura - crystalline fructose which is sugar in my book) and the second hour of the ride was so much better. So I am going to continue on doing this..except making the exception for endurance bicycling. I will be adding in occasional wine after mid Feb. That was the hardest thing for me to give up. I love my glass or two of wine at night, but it had become too frequent and too much of a habit.

Also, sugar, wheat and alcohol are not food groups. They can easily be omitted from your diet with no negative consequences and a lot of positive ones I don't think it sets you up for a "binge" if you eliminate them. In fact I have more trouble with sugar cravings if I eat sugar then if I don't. Dairy is a food group, but there is a lot of controversy about whether we need it or not. You'll have to judge for yourself. I like Greek yogurt, see no problem with it for me, so I will continue to eat it.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    No Wheat No Sugar No Dairy No Alcohol?

No Way.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    Your body doesn't need a "cleanse". It does that naturally.

If you have a medical condition or food aversion to those items mentioned, that's a different thing.

I got to my goal weight and size and have maintained it by not villianizing any food or food group. And honestly, eating any food I wanted in moderation had a lot to do with my success.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Your body doesn't need a "cleanse". It does that naturally.

If you have a medical condition or food aversion to those items mentioned, that's a different thing.

I got to my goal weight and size and have maintained it by not villianizing any food or food group. And honestly, eating any food I wanted in moderation had a lot to do with my success.

+1
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    No way!! I need my wine and cheese!
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    I enjoy starting each year with a fast. This year I omitted flour, meat, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, sugar, TV and Facebook. I will continue this for a full 40 days. As I don't eat a lot of any of these food groups through out the year, I did not have any withdrawal issues. You can consider doing an enema or a colonic, if you feel you need to too. Either will typically offset headaches or withdrawal symptoms.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    I think eating less processed doesn't mean not eating. I would definitely not eliminate everything at once if you choose to do this. I would just eliminate or even slowly cut back one at a time. There is sugar in foods naturally so I am assuming they mean added sugars?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,988 Member
    I was reading Darya Rose's book Foodist (great book, highly recommend) and she suggests going 2 weeks with no wheat, sugar, dairy and alcohol as a sort of cleanse of the system.

What happens after the 2 weeks?
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    No bread, no starbucks with baileys? I'm weak......can't do it!!

I'll also lend another vote for the whole "no cleanse needed" thing.