Calling all hummus recipes

Options
sheepysaccount
sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
I am looking for some easy to make hummus recipes. Does anyone have one they tried and recommend?

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    No recipe, I usually just wing it but once I put some chipotle in there and it was so good. Just an idea :) I'm also making some today!
  • sararay509
    sararay509 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So, so, sooooooo good!!! Only 157 calories for 1/4 of the recipe and it is so so sooooo good. Seriously.

Low Fat Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Ingredients
    1 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas
    2 tablespoons tahini
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 -3 cloves garlic ( pressed or crushed)
    1/2 cup roasted red pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    fresh ground pepper

Directions
    Drain& rinse chick peas/garbanzos, reserving liquid.
    In small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, cayenne (use less if you don't want it very spicy, but we like it with 1/2 tsp),& salt, mixing throughly.
    Put garbanzo beans/chick peas in bowl of food processor with chopping blade,& sprinkle the spice mixture over the top evenly.
    Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic,& roasted red peppers, and blend until well mixed.
    Add the fresh ground pepper.
    Once the hummus gets smooth, add some of the reserved liquid from the chick peas/garbanzos while it is being processed, until it reaches the desired consistency.
    Serve with toasted pita bread or as a dip or spread with almost anything.
    Have fun with this basic recipe- you can change the amounts or even the actual spices used to change the flavor of this healthy dip.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some easy to make hummus recipes. Does anyone have one they tried and recommend?

I take a quarter pound (113 g) of dried chickpeas soak them, cook them or use one pound canned chickpeas and peel them and puree them with a quarter pound of tahini (113 g) and add garlic and lemon juice to taste. Depending on your blender/food processor the amount of water you need will vary. I also suspect if you have a really nice machine (or a food mill) you wouldn't need to waste your time peeling the chickpeas.

One day when I'm ambitious I'm going to roast a red sweet pepper and throw that in the mix but I haven't been that ambitious yet.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    All tried:

Traditional Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans (drained, reserving liquid)
    3 Tbsp tahini
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp salt

Add can of garbanzo beans, 1/3 cup of the liquid from the can, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt to the food processor. Blend until smooth. Add more liquid depending on how thick you like it.

To serve: I spread 2 Tbsp on a plate. Make a moat in the hummus with the back of a spoon. Drizzle moat with olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika and chili powder. In the very center place a black olive and finely chopped pickled jalapeno. It looks like something from my favorite Greek restaurant. Serve with pita or veggies for dipping.

Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Makes 2-1/2 cups; Serves 10

3 Tbsp of tahini
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can garbanzo beans (drained, reserve liquid)
    1 can artichoke hearts (drained, and squeezed to remove liquid)
    Handful of baby spinach leaves
    Juice of one small lemon (3 Tbsp)
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    1 tsp. salt

Drain can of garbanzo beans, reserving 1/3 cup of the juice from the can. Add the beans, tahini, artichokes, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and red pepper to food processor. Blend until smooth adding reserved liquid. You can adjust the amount of liquid depending on how thick you like it. Add spinach and process until you see little flecks of green. Serve with pita or veggies for dipping.

To serve: I spread hummus on a plate or platter. Make a moat in the hummus with the back of a spoon. Drizzle moat with olive oil. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. In the very center place a half of a artichoke, two garbanzo beans and one baby spinach leaf.

Wasabi Hummus
    Source: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/01/wasabi-hummus.html
    Makes 2 cups, Serves 16 (2 Tbsp. serving)

Ingredients

15 oz. can garbanzo beans (drained, reserving liquid)
    3 Tbsp. tahini
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
    3 tsp. wasabi, or to taste
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 inch fresh ginger, minced

Directions

Add can of garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, soy sauce, wasabi, garlic and ginger to the food processor. Blend until smooth, adding reserved liquid a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency (about 4 Tbsp.) Serve with veggies, oven baked wontons, or on sandwiches and wraps.

Garnish with wasabi peas, black sesame seeds, pickled ginger or toasted nori snacks.

Nutritional Information per serving*: Calories 54, Total Fat 2 g, Total Carbohydrate 7 g, Dietary Fiber 1 g, Protein 2 g, Calcium 1 g.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Ranch Hummus
    Servings: 8

Ingredients

1 - 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup fat free cottage cheese
    1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1 - 1 oz package Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix
    1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp chopped garlic

Preparation

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Puree until mixture is smooth and slightly fluffy, scraping sides. Transfer to storage container. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Serve with veggies, pita bread or pita chips.

Smoky Three Pepper Hummus
    Source: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/06/smoky-three-pepper-hummus.html
    Makes 2 cups

Ingredients

1/2 grilled or roasted bell pepper
    1/2 grilled or roasted poblano pepper
    1 Tbsp. pickled jalapeno
    1 can garbanzo beans (drained, reserving liquid)
    3 Tbsp tahini
    juice of 1 lime (3 Tbsp)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 tsp salt, to taste
    Minced cilantro (to garnish)

Directions

Add bell pepper, poblano pepper, jalapeno, garbanzo beans, tahini, lime juice, garlic and salt to the food processor. Blend until smooth drizzling in about 1/3 cup of the liquid from the can. Add more or less liquid depending on how thick you like it.

To serve: I spread 2 or 3 spoonfuls on a plate. Make a moat in the hummus with the back of a spoon. Drizzle moat with olive oil. Sprinkle with minced cilantro. In the very center place a slice of pickled jalapeno. Serve with pita, tortilla chips or veggies for dipping.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Red Pepper Hummus
    Posted by: DKLIBERT

1/3 cup of tahini
    2 cloves garlic
    1 can garbanzo beans (drained, reserve 1/3 cup of liquid)
    2 roasted red peppers
    Juice of one small lemon
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    1 tsp. salt

Drain can of chick peas, reserving 1/3 cup of the juice from the can. Add it to the food processor: with the can of chick peas, tahini, red peppers, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and cumin. Blend until smooth. You can adjust the amount of liquid depending on how thick you like it.

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus
    Source: WW Momentum Cookbook
    Serves 4

6 dry packed moist sun dried tomatoes
    1 (15-1/2 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    2 Tbsp tahini
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    1/4 tsp salt
    Pinch cayenne

Put the tomatoes in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes; drain and reserve the liquid.

Combine the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth, adding some of the reserved liquid if the hummus seems stiff.

Per serving (generous 1/3 cup): 56 Cal, 5 g Fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 14 mg Chol, 176 mg Sod, 2 g Carb, 0 g Fib, 2 g Prot, 19 mg Calc.
  • AprilJG79
    AprilJG79 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • fortally
    Options
    I LOVE lemony, silky smooth hummus. When I make mine I used canned chickpeas, but the trick is to simmer them on the stove for at least an hour. They will whip up fluffy and light in the food processor.

Here's my go-to recipe:

I can chickpeas (rinse well, then put in pot & cover with cold water. Simmer 1-2 hr. on med. low. Drain)
    3 T tahini
    2 T lemon juice (to taste - I often put more)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 T olive oil
    1/4 cup water (approx.)
    1 garlic clove (OPTIONAL)

Throw all that in a mini food processor and whip until smooth. It will come out light, fluffy, and lemony. Really simple but so freaking good!

8 servings (117 cal, 11 carbs, 7 fat, 4 protein, 314 sodium). It's a small portion, so often I double up for 234 calories.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Thank you fortallyI I am so going to try your method soon.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wow, is it so crazy that we like so much tahini over here? Two and 3 tablespoons doesn't sound like nearly enough. Granted, I don't know the weight of 1/3 cup, I know we started out by just accidentally ending up with 1/4 of a 1 Lb jar and it stuck.

I'm going to try that one where you simmer the canned chickpeas, I don't have the patience to peel the damn things and if I just do it without it's never "silky smooth". Also, anyone tried the chickpeas in a slow-cooker, good idea? Bad? I recently made the best bean soup ever in a slow-cooker and it got me thinking about the trouble chickpeas (from dry) always give me. I'm just such a penny-pincher I hate spending 99¢ on one can of beans when a 1 Lb bag (approx. four cans) is $1.69.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Love the thread. I've already copied many of the recipes. We tend to make roasted red pepper more then anything.

We love hummus so much that we gifted ourselves a food processor for Christmas.
  • fortally
    Options
    Also, anyone tried the chickpeas in a slow-cooker, good idea? Bad?

You know, it's funny - I make most beans & lentils in the crock pot. Black beans and Great Northerns come out so creamy when I let them go all day in the crock pot. But I tried dried chick peas on the stove and the crock pot and spit them out both times. Don't know why that is (or what I did wrong), but they tasted awful. But chickpeas straight out of the can are always crunchy. I tried hummus over and over using chickpeas straight from the can and always ended up with a gritty texture. Drove me nuts. Finally I just decided they needed to cook more, so on the stove they went. And I really do leave them on the stove for a LONG time, simmering away. Sometimes I'll let them go all afternoon, then stick the pot in the fridge and make it the next day (so they soak even longer). The first time I tried it with the 'cooked' chickpeas it turned out so good I spent 20 minutes licking the food processor. The hummus does come out more 'airy' than the stuff you buy in the store, but it doesn't bother me.

Weird side note - hummus freezes beautifully. I portion it all out & freeze servings so that I'm not tempted to eat the whole recipe at once. Zap it in the microwave for a minute and it comes out less airy and more creamy. Still yummy and smooth, just thicker.

Oh and I LOVE tahini too! But tahini + olive oil packs a punch with calories & fat. I started using smaller amounts than traditional recipes and found I didn't really miss it.

Love the other recipes too!! Artichokes? I would never have thought of that. I'm drooling already - can't wait to try it!
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the recipes and helpful hints:flowerforyou:
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Cool cool. Awesome recipes. Just what the heck is tahini? I never heard of that. *goes to google*
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Cool cool. Awesome recipes. Just what the heck is tahini? I never heard of that. *goes to google*
    tahini is like peanut butter but made with sesame seeds instead =P
    at least that's how i think about it
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I bought some Tahini last week for an avocado wrap recipe that I made.I This looks yummy--I am going to try it!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This is the Homous one I use. It's an amalgamation of a couple of recipes

Ingredients

200g Chickpeas (cooked)
    2 tbsp Lemon Juice
    1 Garlic Clove
    1 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp Paprika
    2 tbsp Olive Oil
    4 tbsp Water

Method

1.) Put all the ingredients in a blender and whizz until smooth. If it’s too thick or if your blender is struggling add a bit more water or olive oil.

2.) Taste and if required add a pitch of salt..
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Buffalo hummus!!!!
    I make it so much I don't even measure anymore, but if you google it, there are some good ones.
  • AbstractSilver
    Options
    Just to put my 2-cents in here, one of my favorite recipes of all time is a sweet-potato hummus! (I can't remember where I found it, but it isn't mine.) It is really low cal too, only about 80 per 1/4 cup.

1 can garbanzo beans
    2 TBS tahini
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1 large sweet potato (cooked and peeled)
    1tbs lemon juice
    cajun seasoning to taste
    1tbs maple syrup

Just combine it all in a food processor til it is nice and creamy.

It is sweet, creamy and delicious. It makes quite a lot-at least 12 servings (about 3 cups). I put it on pretty much everything-sandwiches, wraps, veggie dip... It is so great.

Another one of my favorite hummus recipes, this one a bit more traditional:

1 can garbanzo beans
    1 can white navy beans
    3TBS hummus
    2TBS olive oil
    3-4 cloves of garlic
    2TBS lemon juice
    Salt and Pepper to taste (I use garlic powder too)

Once again, just combine in a food processor or blender til it is creamy. You HAVE To use the two different kinds of beans with this one, it really adds a ton to the recipe. You could just use garbanzo beans but I've done that and it isn't nearly as good.