Anybody with shin splints? Advice/anything that helps?

Options
2»

Replies

• _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The RICE method is ok, I second the stretching of the shin but I have a couple other options

First, if you have had them for a while (me for a couple years) my massage therapist said massage may help alleviate some of the pain because there may be adhesions and when you release them the pain becomes less BUT this isn't a solution

Also, my chiropractor took measurements of my feet and found my arches fall when I put weight on my feet and suggested custom inserts. The inserts I got from the chiropractor actually hurt my feet (only a thin layer of material between the plastic and my foot) so I didn't exercise as hard as I could have. Just the other day I went to one of those dr scholls foot mapping machines and paid $50 for the inserts recommended and my shins don't hurt during my exercises (my warm ups contain jump rope and jumping jacks and those hurt my shins before I even work out)
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    hello

try this...it burns like hell at first but gets easier each day...and it works!!!

http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise

martyxx
  • Cyriacos
    Options
    when I got splints I did the following.

1) took a 48 hour break from jogging
    2) at the beginning of the 3rd day I bought a new pair of running shoes
    3) Started stretching before doing cardio.
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am currently sat with bags of frozen peas on my shins as they are in absolute agony after doing my JM30DS today following my class last night and run on Saturday, I was fine this morning until I had to do the jumping jacks!

Am gonna take all the advice and put it to good use.....and hopefully I'll be able to walk again!

Thanks ladies and gentlemen :flowerforyou:
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am currently sat with bags of frozen peas on my shins as they are in absolute agony after doing my JM30DS today following my class last night and run on Saturday, I was fine this morning until I had to do the jumping jacks!

Am gonna take all the advice and put it to good use.....and hopefully I'll be able to walk again!

Thanks ladies and gentlemen :flowerforyou:

When I started 30DS, I had to add an extra calf stretch during the cooldown at the advice of a 30DS group member, because the vid doesn't give a good enough calf stretch. I didn't get shin splints from jumping jacks (that I remember), but at some point I remember having problems with "running man" (can't remember if it was 30DS or RI30) and had to sub jumping jacks instead of the running man. I guess it all depends on the individual.

Hope you're feeling better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wear pretty good quality shoes, but if there are any that are known to help with this problem, i'd be willing to check them out.

Properly fitted shoes make a huge difference, so me as a heavy overpronator it took investing in the right shoes to put myself in a place to avoid the problem. The other issue is the life of the shoes, generally about 400-500 Km until they need replaced.

If you have them, rest and icing is the way ahead, until it's gone.

In terms of prevention, reducing your pace and working up using run/ walk intervals will reduce the risk significantly.

The posts upthread about form are really important, if you focus on landing over the top of your leading foot you put a lot less load on the tissue, it also helps the glute development as you're making progress by pushing yourself forward rather than dragging yourself along.

I had a little bit of threatening shinsplints last year so eased my pace a bit until it wasn't an issue any more. That said I now rotate three pairsof shoes to avoid the shock of transitioning from old to new.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it help to work on strengthening your legs? Isn't it a muscle problem?

Cycling with toe straps helps, as the muscle on the front of the shin is then activated on the upstroke, part of the reason is an imbalance between the front and back of the lower leg. the muscle at the front is generally weaker.

It's also worth including a stretch in the post run routine, levering off the toe.
  • ElaineCrume
    Options
    What worked for me was putting my toes on a step and letting my heels dangle to stretch the calf muscle before and after exercise (plus any time it started to hurt). I know you've heard it before but, drink more water as it really does help.