Anyone else...not a runner, hate gym?

Options
I know this sounds crazy, but I think of myself as a pretty fit/active person, but I HATE step classes, machines and running. Now I can run if I have to...child going in front of a car, ax murderer behind me...but i just don't get into "jogging" for exercise/the fun of it. I will take the dog out and walk briskly in nice weather or chase my kids around/kick a soccer ball/play basketball with them... But that's about it.

Anyone else the type of person who likes to "live life" and not spend much time in a gym, running on a treadmill, etc?

Would love to hear from you!

Replies

• tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    *puts hand up* I don't like excersise, i've had a stroke, so a lot of excersise is out, i've just bought a hula hoop (that hasn't arrived yet) so i'm hoping, I will enjoy having a go at that xx
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    I don't mind cardio, but I can't run worth a crap. It makes no sense; I'm 6'2" and have long legs even for my height, plus I've always been fairly light. By all rights I should be able to run like a deer. Even at my absolute best though, I've never been able to do better than like an 8 minute mile, and even that left me hurting pretty bad.

I actually enjoy going to the gym, and regularly ride my bike around town, but I absolutely hate running around the block. If nothing else, I get bored senseless.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't really like typical gym cardio or classes. I do like yoga that is more traditional with meditation, CrossFit because it's totally different all the time, pole dance because it makes me feel like a kid, and swimming laps. However, I find that I do really connect with nature so I love, love, love hiking and I'm recently starting to cross-country ski. I consider being outdoors and being active "living life"--for me. I don't even have TV. I don't do inertia.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    errr....no, I'm the polar opposite actually, love running, body doesn't love it quite as much though, so rotate between swimming / running / cycling.

I do have a colleague who hates cardio though, is quite capable but doesn't see the point unless there's an objective, ie playing football, moving from point A to point B etc.

He started getting a bit on the weighty side, ended up switching out his 15km commute for a bike ride and lost like 8kg in 2 months. So...it is worth perservering at.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    So find an exercise you do like. I also dislike running (but do it anyway for reasons, and I suck at it). Lots of people dislike it. Running isn't the only exercise out there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If the only thing I did in the gym was use a treadmill or take step classes I'd hate it too. Try lifting something.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a generic title. Movement is exercise and is what you are able to make it. If it's walking to see what you can, views, wild life, or getting from A to B, or what ever. Even standing when you usually sit makes you use your muscles, even sitting upright rather than slouch. House work is movement, which makes it exercise, regular or not depending all depends on ones physical abilities. Gardening for those who have space all be it a tiny yard. Singing could be counted too because as you use your lungs to project your sound you are exercising them too.

Who ever you are, no matter what the limit of your actual movement many of us can manage to tense muscles or flex joints. Remembering exercise patterns is how some kidnap victims have managed to maintain their personal focus in dire situations.

Life is for living and living is all we have. For me, life is too short to thump a treadmill, there is so much more to do. A swim though would be another issues. If only perfumes were not my issue. At the edge of science I have been told by an eminent British Immunologist..........................
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy, but I think of myself as a pretty fit/active person, but I HATE step classes, machines and running. Now I can run if I have to...child going in front of a car, ax murderer behind me...but i just don't get into "jogging" for exercise/the fun of it. I will take the dog out and walk briskly in nice weather or chase my kids around/kick a soccer ball/play basketball with them... But that's about it.

Anyone else the type of person who likes to "live life" and not spend much time in a gym, running on a treadmill, etc?

Would love to hear from you!

I dislike training indoors, the whole hamster wheel thing does nothing to inspire me. I prefer to go outside and run, or cycle. Have to say that my dog doesn't keep up with me, he's faster but doesn't have the endurance to do more than about 3 miles without wanting to lie down for a break.

I do have a rowing machine at home that I use as it's complementary to the running and useful for days that I can't get out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Try lifting something.

Then stick needles in your eyes to lighten the mood...
  • DavPul
    Options
    Kidnap victims??? What the what?
  • DavPul
    Options
    Try lifting something.

*yawns*
  • NeilSnedd
    Options
    Hi mate! I'm not really keen on Treadmills either and only go on em if the weather outside isn't great. I prefer to go running outside. I'm joining the gym this month to use the weight's and go swimming. We've got a cross trainer which is boring as hell to be on but once you've got going and got the earphones on with a good tune playing your away...

I usually go for a run outside when I'm at work and really don't mind it cause it's so beautiful there!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Not a runner, hate exerice for the sake of exercise, it just seems like such a waste of time. However, marital arts and dance classes are right up my alley because I'm learning a skill, the exercise is merely a sideline!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Try lifting something.

*yawns*

That's how I feel inside the gym as well ;)
  • SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner. 6 minute miles, marathons, no problem. A regular Forest Gump.

Somewhere along the way I lost the passion and the ability. Now I can't even run to the corner. I keep waiting for the day I wake up and the love is back, but it's not looking too promising.

As for the gym, kind of the same story. I used to love weights, aqua aerobics, a variety of classes and the sauna. Now, I pay the monthly, but I don't go.

I'm more into roller blading, golf and kayaking.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ... marital arts ...

???
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Why run when I can quickly walk?
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    ... marital arts ...

???

Don't you use the fine art of getting married to get your heart rate up?

I thought everyone did that
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ... marital arts ...

???

Bwahahahahahaha damn you autocorrect!!!!! Though it IS a great way to burn calories :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :blushing:
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    That was me last year this time. I tried lifting and love the gym now. Find something you enjoy, if it's not lifting try fencing, dancing, trampolining or swimming or whatever else. Either you are the most miserable person in the world or you will find something you like eventually...