What are they putting in our food?!

Options

Replies

• ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    While I agree some of these documentaries feed on hyperbole and hysteria, there is a nugget of truth to all of it. While I don't think its even possible to eat 100% clean everyday of your life, it can't hurt to try. The lack of transparency in our food system is quite horrifying whether you buy into the documentary hysteria or not. If you want some decent information try Omnivore's Dilemma a book by Michael Pollen, and the documentary Food Inc. While there may be some extremism still, they are certainly more even headed and well researched pieces than many things out there.

Its just as naive to think that all of these food additives are no big deal, as it is to think a box of cereal will give you cancer or whatever. I think reality the risk is some where in the middle. Sure most scientific literature will say these additives are GRAS (generally recognized as safe) also haven't seen what eating them for 40 years will do to you. So much is unknown, and I think its better to be on the safe side - while still being realistic and enjoying the food you eat.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just watched a few documentaries on Netflix, one of them called "Hungry for Change". What are they putting in our food?! I thought I was avoiding unhealthy/nutrient-less food. Now they're hiding MSG in other terms? Anything “hydrolyzed”, yeast food, soy and whey protein, and more. Or labeling food to read nutritious, but far from the truth? Like blueberry pomegranate Total cereal; seems like something healthy, however, it has no blueberries or pomegranates just chemicals. I'm traumatized. Clean eating means something completely different to me now.

What does this mean about my protein powder, BCAA powder, glutamine supplements, and pre workout powder? Are these harmful? Looking for some food therapy.

The truth is since 1951 our life expectancy has skyrocketed search polio and Jonas Salk...next caller....

The truth is our food has deteriorated in nutritional value since 1950. Do the research. It matters.

What the hell does Polio have to do with the quality of our food? Talk about a straw man..

as factory farming has increased, the quality of food has decreased. It's nearly impossible to eat an actual "balanced diet" from a supermarket at this point.

You _might_ be able to do it eating only organically grown meats, fruits, and vegetables, but I doubt it.

This is not to say if you can't get a properly nutritional diet, you should say screw it and live on gummy bears.

But being an informed consumer makes a lot of difference.

It's your health, and your body.. do what you feel is right, but don't crap on others for doing what they feel is right.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I just watched a few documentaries on Netflix, one of them called "Hungry for Change". What are they putting in our food?! I thought I was avoiding unhealthy/nutrient-less food. Now they're hiding MSG in other terms? Anything “hydrolyzed”, yeast food, soy and whey protein, and more. Or labeling food to read nutritious, but far from the truth? Like blueberry pomegranate Total cereal; seems like something healthy, however, it has no blueberries or pomegranates just chemicals. I'm traumatized. Clean eating means something completely different to me now.

What does this mean about my protein powder, BCAA powder, glutamine supplements, and pre workout powder? Are these harmful? Looking for some food therapy.

The truth is our food has deteriorated in nutritional value since 1950. Do the research. It matters.

The truth is that you shouldn't get your "information" off of silly documentaries or internet "research."

Nope.. much better to base it off a book sold by a guy with a Dr. of Philosophy, who is selling you a diet and exercise plan.

or better yet, from a mutant gym rat who looks deformed, because "This is what he eats/does/avoids".

LOL.

Or you could peruse pubmed and a follow a few of the fitness experts with advanced degrees and reputations for distributing reliable information.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

the truth is you're gullible if you actually believe that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

The truth is since 1951 our life expectancy has skyrocketed search polio and Jonas Salk...next caller....

What the hell does Polio have to do with the quality of our food? Talk about a straw man..

as factory farming has increased, the quality of food has decreased. It's nearly impossible to eat an actual "balanced diet" from a supermarket at this point.

You _might_ be able to do it eating only organically grown meats, fruits, and vegetables, but I doubt it.

This is not to say if you can't get a properly nutritional diet, you should say screw it and live on gummy bears.

It's your health, and your body.. do what you feel is right, but don't crap on others for doing what they feel is right.
    Sources please. I have yet to find any reliable source that says anything like this. You keep saying "strawman."
    tumblr_mf5s0vlkqO1rbn1qw.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Stop watching bad documentaries?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Utter nonsense. :noway:

I knew this thread would deliver. :laugh:
  • Ctrum69
    Options

Sources please. I have yet to find any reliable source that says anything like this. You keep saying "strawman."

Here's a clipfile with pros, cons, and cited research.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/06clipfile/nutritional quality of organically-grown food.html
  • Ctrum69
    Options

Feel better?

Ohmigosh.. I think your snark and clever emoticon has completely changed my belief system!

Or.. not.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Someone who is "eating clean" and that concerned with what's in her food probably isn't going to choose that food, first of all. And second, I'm pretty sure one can find a website somewhere that will say what is likely in "caramel color."
    If someone is eating Total they aint eatin' clean, at least my my estimation.

Caramel Color varies wildly. I really shouldn't have to spend 4 hours on the internet to determine if a company is using a potential carcinogen.

Not very good at google.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Feel better?

Ohmigosh.. I think your snark and clever emoticon has completely changed my belief system!

Or.. not.

Your belief system is based on the fact that you can't get a balanced diet by shopping at a supermarket? Okay then.

Oh look here comes an emoticon :laugh:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Oy! How about we pull out a new battle axe like... When you are faced with a choice, pick the lesser of the two evils. Repeat this however many times until you are comfortable (i.e., can live with) the choice(s) you have made. Anyone ever hear about risk mitigation? It works for food, too. There comes a point where you accept the level of risk (i.e., suspect "chemicals" in your food) based on overall nutritional value, cost, convenience, and availability. Virtually everything in life is a balancing act - including the food we choose to eat or not eat.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Oy! How about we pull out a new battle axe like... When you are faced with a choice, pick the lesser of the two evils. Repeat this however many times until you are comfortable (i.e., can live with) the choice(s) you have made. Anyone ever hear about risk mitigation? It works for food, too. There comes a point where you accept the level of risk (i.e., suspect "chemicals" in your food) based on overall nutritional value, cost, convenience, and availability. Virtually everything in life is a balancing act - including the food we choose to eat or don't eat.

Careful, common sense and logic aren't allowed here, only hyperbole and nonsense statements. :laugh:

Oh and emoticons
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    And that will inform me which dyes are in Caramel Color or what is in "natural" or "Artificial" flavors? I'm not claiming a person doesn't have agency. I am claiming that companies are actively and creatively hiding things people watch for which new terminology.

Well here's a thought - if it's a term or name you don't recognize - DON'T EAT IT.

Problem solved.

Next.

Living by this rule you should avoid [(2''R'',3''S'',4''R'',5''R'')-5-(6-aminopurin-9-yl)-3,4-dihydroxyoxolan-2-yl]methyl(hydroxyphosphonooxyphosphoryl)hydrogen phosphate.

Of course, if you did, you'd be dead in about 10 days.
    Everything you eat has it. ATP.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

http://www.soilandhealth.org/06clipfile/nutritional quality of organically-grown food.html
    Direct quote from your link.
    A justification for the purchase of organically grown food cannot be made on the basis of any superiority in nutrition, taste, or freedom from pesticides. Advantages have been identified, however, with the practice of organic farming. Advantages cited include agronomic and environmental benefits. The future of the organically grown foods market more appropriately depends on the viability of the organic farming system as an alternative agricultural practice which offers effective solutions to the detrimental effects on the environment and nonsustaining aspects of conventional farming practices (2).

And then there was a table, pulled from a book, that they so nicely give you all the information to buy said book, that shows some minerals are lower now. Of course, it's not an actual science book, nor is it a peer reviewed study, just a random book.

Then again, the link you listed is a conspiracy nut kind of site, so I wouldn't expect anything from it.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

Feel better?

Or.. not.

Your belief system is based on the fact that you can't get a balanced diet by shopping at a supermarket? Okay then.

Oh look here comes an emoticon :laugh:

At a micronutritional level? No, I don't think you can.

If you don't think there's a difference between a hothouse tomato grown with fertilizer in potting soil, picked green, gassed for color, and shipped cross country, and an organically grown vine ripened tomato, well.. then you aren't paying attention.

Can you eat the "Food pyramid"? Sure. Course, it makes no distinction betwen ritz crackers and a sweet potato, as far as "carbs" go.. so YMMV.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

Direct quote from your link.
    A justification for the purchase of organically grown food cannot be made on the basis of any superiority in nutrition, taste, or freedom from pesticides. Advantages have been identified, however, with the practice of organic farming. Advantages cited include agronomic and environmental benefits. The future of the organically grown foods market more appropriately depends on the viability of the organic farming system as an alternative agricultural practice which offers effective solutions to the detrimental effects on the environment and nonsustaining aspects of conventional farming practices (2).

And then there was a table, pulled from a book, that they so nicely give you all the information to buy said book, that shows some minerals are lower now. Of course, it's not an actual science book, nor is it a peer reviewed study, just a random book.

Then again, the link you listed is a conspiracy nut kind of site, so I wouldn't expect anything from it.

Yes, because reading the actual studies they cite, well, that's just not how things are done.

Whatever, like I said. you do what you want, and good luck with it.Just don't crap on others for doing what they want.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Living by this rule you should avoid [(2''R'',3''S'',4''R'',5''R'')-5-(6-aminopurin-9-yl)-3,4-dihydroxyoxolan-2-yl]methyl(hydroxyphosphonooxyphosphoryl)hydrogen phosphate.

Of course, if you did, you'd be dead in about 10 days.
    Everything you eat has it. ATP.

<Sigh> Science nerds. Oh, how you enlighten (sarcasm) every conversation with your massive repository of slightly not applicable but still intelligent sounding factoids. Yup, we get it. ATP. Funny. And the mitochondria on the bus go up and down, up and down...

I'm glad we can argue this point - to death - on a board where the vast majority of people here have a documented history of making questionable food choices - not in molecular composition, but in quantity. How else would we all have arrived at a free website called "My Fitness Pal"? Just sayin. ('m also guilty as charged.)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I recommend the website/app Fooducate, which provides some information on processed foods and common ingredients.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I think one of my most favorite arguments ever is the "if I can't pronounce it, it will surely kill me" argument.

:noway:

which is reason enough to avoid quinoa.

I hate quinoa and have never considered this argument to support not eating it before. Thanks BB. Every day I find a new reason to :heart: you :drinker: