Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Utter nonsense. :noway:

I knew this thread would deliver. :laugh:

Feel better?

Ohmigosh.. I think your snark and clever emoticon has completely changed my belief system!

Or.. not.

Your belief system is based on the fact that you can't get a balanced diet by shopping at a supermarket? Okay then.

Oh look here comes an emoticon :laugh:

At a micronutritional level? No, I don't think you can.

If you don't think there's a difference between a hothouse tomato grown with fertilizer in potting soil, picked green, gassed for color, and shipped cross country, and an organically grown vine ripened tomato, well.. then you aren't paying attention.

Can you eat the "Food pyramid"? Sure. Course, it makes no distinction betwen ritz crackers and a sweet potato, as far as "carbs" go.. so YMMV.

So what are the micro nutritional deficiencies you are guaranteed to be suffering from by eating supermarket food?
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Can some one help me with pronouncing "seitan"? If that ain't a product of Hades Consolidated Foods, Inc., well I don't know what is.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    OP... just stop eating. Clearly there is a global conspiracy to kill everyone with food. Eat some grass instead.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Feel better?

Ohmigosh.. I think your snark and clever emoticon has completely changed my belief system!

Or.. not.

No one is trying to change your belief system. What people are trying to do is keep fear mongering and nonsense from being spread even further.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Feel better?

Or.. not.

Your belief system is based on the fact that you can't get a balanced diet by shopping at a supermarket? Okay then.

If you don't think there's a difference between a hothouse tomato grown with fertilizer in potting soil, picked green, gassed for color, and shipped cross country, and an organically grown vine ripened tomato, well.. then you aren't paying attention.

Can you eat the "Food pyramid"? Sure. Course, it makes no distinction betwen ritz crackers and a sweet potato, as far as "carbs" go.. so YMMV.

So what are the micro nutritional deficiencies you are guaranteed to be suffering from by eating supermarket food?

ooh! oooooh! oooooh! i know. pick me! pick me!!

Horshack.jpg

mr kottaaah... the micro nutritional deficiencies you are guaranteed to be suffering from by eating supermarket food are... imaginary!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Feel better?

Or.. not.

So buying fresh meat, fruit and veg at the supermarket and eating a balance diet is impossible if you buy it all at the supermarket?

Again sorry but I believe that to be utter nonsense.

And yes there is a difference taste wise between freshly picked veg/fruit and some of the supermarket fruit/veg. But to say that supermarket foods are so lacking that we are all deficient in macronutrients is rubbish.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just watched a few documentaries on Netflix, one of them called "Hungry for Change". What are they putting in our food?! I thought I was avoiding unhealthy/nutrient-less food. Now they're hiding MSG in other terms? Anything “hydrolyzed”, yeast food, soy and whey protein, and more. Or labeling food to read nutritious, but far from the truth? Like blueberry pomegranate Total cereal; seems like something healthy, however, it has no blueberries or pomegranates just chemicals. I'm traumatized. Clean eating means something completely different to me now.

What does this mean about my protein powder, BCAA powder, glutamine supplements, and pre workout powder? Are these harmful? Looking for some food therapy.

You are correct... We just must be educated about the ingredients. We are fighting "Big Food".... they have deep pockets. But the good news is that the word is getting out and more and more people are staying away from "fake food". As for protein powder, there are a few with no artificial ingredients, if you really need protein powder. There is a formula to determine how much you really need.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Living by this rule you should avoid [(2''R'',3''S'',4''R'',5''R'')-5-(6-aminopurin-9-yl)-3,4-dihydroxyoxolan-2-yl]methyl(hydroxyphosphonooxyphosphoryl)hydrogen phosphate.

Of course, if you did, you'd be dead in about 10 days.
    Everything you eat has it. ATP.

<Sigh> Science nerds. Oh, how you enlighten (sarcasm) every conversation with your massive repository of slightly not applicable but still intelligent sounding factoids. Yup, we get it. ATP. Funny. And the mitochondria on the bus go up and down, up and down...

I'm glad we can argue this point - to death - on a board where the vast majority of people here have a documented history of making questionable food choices - not in molecular composition, but in quantity. How else would we all have arrived at a free website called "My Fitness Pal"? Just sayin. ('m also guilty as charged.)

Well, some of us are actually pretty good at eating reasonably, just that it wasn't aligned with a commensurate level of activity. I gained about a lb per year extra over 25 years, not exceptional for many here that are trying to balance out exercise and health with a little tracking.

Listen, if the argument is the typical anti-intellectual fear mongering of "can't pronounce it, don't eat it" coming from the keyboards of new age pseudo-Luddites, then yes, please place my in the hand basket of the science nerds. Each week here I address and answer more than a few real questions about nutrition, biology or physiology. That argument doesn't deserve more than derision, because I can pronounce most chemical formulas and understand that chemical are ubiquitous and aren't toxic in of themselves, than certain natural products are extremely toxic, that certain "bio" practices are a joke, neither sustainable nor responsible. I just refuse to lowball my expectations of intelligence of the MFP reader. I expect people to go and get good nutritional information and not from TV.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

That is not a straw man.

A straw man, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of the topic of argument. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having denied a proposition by replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then deny it ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition.
    ----
    As I see it, the OP was stating that companies were being shady in their labeling/advertising tactics. As an example she pointed out that the fruit flavored cereal in fact had no fruit in it. She used the word chemicals in the statement. The conversation further devolved to a "omg someone paranoid about chemicals" argument rather than one based on the original idea. I would consider that a straw man.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    And this is why I use foodfacts.com

But if I had to live a "clean" life I would be stuck eating nothing but egg whites and soylent green.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Vitamins, minerals, and trace elements, primarily.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Man....I blame NETFLIX!!!!......
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Oh noes were fighting "BIg Food" LOLZ
  • Ctrum69
    Options

That is not a straw man.

A straw man, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of the topic of argument. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having denied a proposition by replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then deny it ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition.
    ----
    As I see it, the OP was stating that companies were being shady in their labeling/advertising tactics. As an example she pointed out that the fruit flavored cereal in fact had no fruit in it. She used the word chemicals in the statement. The conversation further devolved to a "omg someone paranoid about chemicals" argument rather than one based on the original idea. I would consider that a straw man.

Since I threw the "straw man" flag, I'll explain.

"our food has been getting worse since the 50s due to poor farming"

"Your life expectancy is greater, cause NO POLIO!" Next caller?"

That's a straw man.

no polio has nothing, whatsoever, to do with food, or the discussion at hand. It's just an obnoxious and snarky response, which appears to be some people's stock in trade here.

"I want to eat clean!"

"OMG! You fool! I'll now tear down your goals, because I'm insecure about my own eating habits!"

lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Way to narrow it down. :noway: :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

That is not a straw man.

----

That's a straw man.

no polio has nothing, whatsoever, to do with food, or the discussion at hand. It's just an obnoxious and snarky response, which appears to be some people's stock in trade here.

"I want to eat clean!"

"OMG! You fool! I'll now tear down your goals, because I'm insecure about my own eating habits!"

lather, rinse, repeat.

And you're arguing logic?
  • Ctrum69
    Options

So buying fresh meat, fruit and veg at the supermarket and eating a balance diet is impossible if you buy it all at the supermarket?

And yes there is a difference taste wise between freshly picked veg/fruit and some of the supermarket fruit/veg. But to say that supermarket foods are so lacking that we are all deficient in macronutrients is rubbish.

Well, studies seem to believe otherwise. But I'm sure those studies, since they go against your beliefs, are just hogwash, and nonsense, and probably cost money, so you have to pay for a book or a publication to read about em, so are therefore bunk.

Right?

Iodine, D, B12, iron, suflur, and more.

Research deficiency in any of those.

Is Scientific American a good enough source for you?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Well, studies seem to believe otherwise. But I'm sure those studies, since they go against your beliefs, are just hogwash, and nonsense, and probably cost money, so you have to pay for a book or a publication to read about em, so are therefore bunk.

Right?

Iodine, D, B12, iron, suflur, and more.

Research deficiency in any of those.

Please post these studies I would actually be interested in reading them. Also I don't have a belief system based around food, or any insecurities surrounding my diet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That is not a straw man.

----

That's a straw man.

"I want to eat clean!"

lather, rinse, repeat.
    Actually, it's usually the "clean eating" people who seem very insecure about their eating habits. Hence "gems" like "If I can't pronounce it, I won't eat it," or "I won't eat anything with chemicals." Actually, it seems to feed into the anti-science and pro-ignorance point of view more than anything.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

So everything, primarily.

Hmm. Rather non-specific answer.

Let's see. Does the average American get enough selenium? Why, yes. Actually. About 95+% (from memory, I think the number are much higher) get the needed amount. Why? Because a steak or half a dozen Brazil nuts deliver enough.

So yeah, no. What diseases are we massively experiencing across America from these non-specific deficiencies? I've see the results of long term nutritional deficiency up close, I don't see it in most of America or Europe.