i know you hate hearing "I can't hit my calories" but..

Options
13»

Replies

• AngeliaDR
    Options
    It's because your stomach is shrinking and you can't hold as much, and I have noticed on the boards not so nice answers too lately. I ate a brownie tonight just to get to my calorie intake. I ate so much today, It's crazy how this thing works...

Don't give people advice when you yourself don't know how to eat correctly.

There lies the problem though. A lot of people that decide they want to start losing weight just jump in without educating themselves. They think, ok I have to eat X amount of calories. They don't consider what are the RIGHT calories to eat. It's not an excuse and we should educate ourselves instead of blindly (and incorrectly) dieting, but it is a reality. That's why these boards are here. For people like yourself that know better to teach people like us what we should be doing.

You are right, and I was harsh on that person because I looked at their diary and saw Dr Pepper and brownies as most of their calories with a tiny protein macro count. I went back a few days and saw consistant Dr Peppers and quick added calories. Don't follow what that user has to say lol. So to better know how to help you out could you give some vital stats, age, weight, height, activity level

Happy to. 29, 5'5", 192 lbs, gone from tree moss activity level to doing 30 min cardio plus 30 day shred everyday. All my weight is in boob, butt, and low stomach. I'm not as concerned with losing weight as I am with losing fat and building tone.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I hit reply and more responses posted, but DEFINITELY more protein.

I just couldn't help myself. This is TOTALLY off-topic, so pardon the intrusion, but the above poster, Natabost, looks just like Pam Grier. I thought she was SO COOL when I was a kid! She was my hero.

PamGrier2069970252_zpsa354796d.jpg

P.S. OP, when I can't make my calories I always go for nuts. Lots of calories in a serving, some protein, and full of healthy fats. :drinker:
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    I would go with the TDEE - 20% strategy myself. Using this site http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ it came up with ~2600 TDEE and 20% off that is 2080 calories a day. The TDEE-20% means that you will not be eating workout calories back as it is worked into the TDEE calculation.

For me personally I use a 35% carbs 30% protein 35% fat split. Fat will not instantly turn to fat in the body as some people here will try and tell you. MFP will set the macros automatically to something different so you can switch that manually here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

Anything else just ask. Those calories might seem high compared to what you are eating right now, but it is the right way to lose weight safely and keep it off.
    [/quote]

It will be harder hitting 2080 calories a day but this seems like sound advice. What's a good way to add in good calories to say, a big bowl of raw spinach? That's my fav go to food. And as far as carbs go, they get such a bad rap I've been scared to eat carbs like pastas and breads. Are those still a wise option?
    Thanks for taking the time to help.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    When I first started really committed to tracking n MFP In June of last year I too had a hard time eating enough but after going though these DB and a leaning curves have found items like peanut butter, any type of nuts, avocados, cheese, tuna and a serving of crackers, I just looked though a few days of ur diary I know it's hard but try and add 2-3 snacks in between ur meals, cook with a little olive oil. I also bought a scale so I made sure my portions were accurate. What has helped me is on my day off or the night before to pre-pack snacks for the following day or week.
    As others have said more protein good luck to you and if you want you are welcome to add me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I would go with the TDEE - 20% strategy myself. Using this site http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ it came up with ~2600 TDEE and 20% off that is 2080 calories a day. The TDEE-20% means that you will not be eating workout calories back as it is worked into the TDEE calculation.

For me personally I use a 35% carbs 30% protein 35% fat split. Fat will not instantly turn to fat in the body as some people here will try and tell you. MFP will set the macros automatically to something different so you can switch that manually here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

Anything else just ask. Those calories might seem high compared to what you are eating right now, but it is the right way to lose weight safely and keep it off.

It will be harder hitting 2080 calories a day but this seems like sound advice. What's a good way to add in good calories to say, a big bowl of raw spinach? That's my fav go to food. And as far as carbs go, they get such a bad rap I've been scared to eat carbs like pastas and breads. Are those still a wise option?

Do you eat the spinach plain? Maybe add salad dressing and chicken. Ohh and apples. Maybe some nuts. Quality salad right there, with some fat, some protein, and some veg/fruit.

I personally eat bread near daily and pasta often. In fact I'm eating pasta right now. Hasn't hurt me any. Carbs are delicious and a great source of fuel.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    When I first started really committed to tracking n MFP In June of last year I too had a hard time eating enough but after going though these DB and a leaning curves have found items like peanut butter, any type of nuts, avocados, cheese, tuna and a serving of crackers, I just looked though a few days of ur diary I know it's hard but try and add 2-3 snacks in between ur meals, cook with a little olive oil. I also bought a scale so I made sure my portions were accurate. What has helped me is on my day off or the night before to pre-pack snacks for the following day or week.
    As others have said more protein good luck to you and if you want you are welcome to add me.

Edit to add I now love Greek yogurt and it has a good amount of protein.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Do you eat the spinach plain? Maybe add salad dressing and chicken. Ohh and apples. Maybe some nuts. Quality salad right there, with some fat, some protein, and some veg/fruit.

I personally eat bread near daily and pasta often. In fact I'm eating pasta right now. Hasn't hurt me any. Carbs are delicious and a great source of fuel.

You forgot the cheese there Chelle
  • Achrya
    Options

You forgot the cheese there Chelle

Oops, you right.

Throw some mozzarella on that. Aww yeah.

Or some feta! Or blue cheese crumbles! Or goat cheese! Ugh. I live for cheese. I gotta stop.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    See I've been avoiding cheese like crazy because I assumed it was bad. The uneducated dieter.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    See I've been avoiding cheese like crazy because I assumed it was bad. The uneducated dieter.
    cheese is a great way to hit your fat and protein macro if you are low:smile:
  • Achrya
    Options

Cheese? Bad?

I feel faint.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It's because your stomach is shrinking and you can't hold as much, and I have noticed on the boards not so nice answers too lately. I ate a brownie tonight just to get to my calorie intake. I ate so much today, It's crazy how this thing works...

Don't give people advice when you yourself don't know how to eat correctly.

There lies the problem though. A lot of people that decide they want to start losing weight just jump in without educating themselves. They think, ok I have to eat X amount of calories. They don't consider what are the RIGHT calories to eat. It's not an excuse and we should educate ourselves instead of blindly (and incorrectly) dieting, but it is a reality. That's why these boards are here. For people like yourself that know better to teach people like us what we should be doing.

You are right, and I was harsh on that person because I looked at their diary and saw Dr Pepper and brownies as most of their calories with a tiny protein macro count. I went back a few days and saw consistant Dr Peppers and quick added calories. Don't follow what that user has to say lol. So to better know how to help you out could you give some vital stats, age, weight, height, activity level

Happy to. 29, 5'5", 192 lbs, gone from tree moss activity level to doing 30 min cardio plus 30 day shred everyday. All my weight is in boob, butt, and low stomach. I'm not as concerned with losing weight as I am with losing fat and building tone.

i like this...i do 40c/30p/30f
  • AngeliaDR
    Options

Cheese? Bad?

I feel faint.

Haha. I love cheese too. I have a secret dirty love affair with provolone. Does this mean I can smother myself in pizza occasionally? Thin crust of course. ;)
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I can't. Not this early in the game where my old bad eating habits are still trying to be unlearned and I'm in the middle of getting ready to move 1400 miles away. I'm too distracted and busy to completely overhaul and re educate myself on how to eat. However, I am trying, so give me some credit before you all jump on me and call me a moron for not figuring out how to eat.
    My protein tends to be low, as does my potassium and vitamins. Should I look to protein powders or supplements to help with this? If so, can that stuff be made with coffee as I hate any drinks that are 'milk' tasting and or sugary in the first place.
    And if it matters, I'm doing the 30 day shred plus extra cardio. Current weight 192 at 5'5". In case that affects your advice.
    Thanks. Be kind. I know you hate these posts.

@AngeliaDR - First, a high quality protein shake is not a compromise, it is the healthiest choice you can make. Choose a shake with a complete protein - undenatured whey (cold filtered process) is the best due to its complete amino acid profile. It also has a higher biological value (BV) than an egg. A whole raw egg has a BV of 100 and whey protein concentrate is at 159. Not whey protein isolate as that process breaks down the structure of the protein. Also make sure its a complete meal replacement with healthy fat and carbohydrates. Your body needs all those things to function. You also want one high in fiber so you stay full longer. So go for 5+ grams of fiber. No artificial anything. Stay away from soy (BV of 74) as it contains phytoestrogens which are not good for your endocrine system.
    There is a whole world of nutrition out there. Get excited about learning and find the fuel your body needs.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should put this off until you are in a less stressful situation than go at if half-cocked.

Half cocked is better than giving up

Not really. It could lead to an even bigger failure than just putting it off until you can focus all of your strength on it. Sometimes it's not good to do to many things at once. You could end up not just failing the diet but also things in your persona life as well due to the added stress. Not eating enough calories is just as harmful as eating too many. Besides, I didn't say you should give up, just postpone.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should put this off until you are in a less stressful situation than go at if half-cocked.

Half cocked is better than giving up

Not really. It could lead to an even bigger failure than just putting it off until you can focus all of your strength on it. Sometimes it's not good to do to many things at once. You could end up not just failing the diet but also things in your persona life as well due to the added stress. Not eating enough calories is just as harmful as eating too many. Besides, I didn't say you should give up, just postpone.

Actually she sounds like she is really committed to doing this in a proper and healthy manner which is why she posted the question. You got lots of good advice OP - good luck!