Junk Food and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

If the focus is on weight loss no it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you are in a reasonable deficet.

I eat what is considered by some "junk" food and I look great, feel great, I am progressing in my lifts really well as do all of us here who feel food is food and it is niether good nor bad and I have drop 8% bf in 7 months...along with 43lbs.

what you eat has no influence on where the fat goes that is genetics.

As to the car analogy if you are driving a car it doesn't matter if you put regular gas or premium on if that car gets you to point A and back...gas is gas. If however you are driving in a race you want to do more than just put gas in the car you want the oil changed, alignment checked etc...it's the same with the body if you want to lose fat and maintain muscle you get enough protien and fat watch your marcros...

but...this was about losing weight...that's it.

Great that you've lost all that weight.

But still, it's common sence; good food is better for your body than junk food. Period.

If you compare two persons with identically body types, both are eating with the same calorie deficit - one with quality food and one with junk food - and are doing exactly the same exercise; you will see a different in body composition.

Yes - both will loose weight.

No - they won't loose the same amount of weight. Probably will the person that is eating the quality food not loose as many pounds as the one with junk food. How come? Because the one with quality food will get more and better nutritents for the muscles, which will be in a more anabolic state, so that person will save more muscles, or in the best of worlds, add some. And muscles eat fat.

NO - the person loosing weight on a diet based on junk food will NOT have the same lean body composition as the one with quality food.

No - the person loosing weight on a diet based on junk food will probably not loose as much body fat as the person with the quality food diet.

Loosing weight are not the same as loosing fat. That's important to understand. That's why waist measure and Body Fat percentage are way better measurement than looking at the scale.

I've seen a lot of examples of people who has lost weight on a poor diet with junk food. They have been skinny with fat, and lost a lot of muscles.

However, adding junk food as cheat meals now and then, to reward yourself, is good.

Basing a diet on junk food to loose weight, is not that good, even if you loose weight.

That's a hughe difference.

Regarding the Porsche. If you have Porsche with a gasoline engine, you won't fuel it with diesel. You would like to fuel the expensive car with the best gasoline. You would treat your car like your precious. Exactly as you should treat your body.

You don't get "extra credit" for extra nutrients.

But I suspect you are probably a troll anyway.
    Looked at your profile: Just joined up to "help people 'loose' weight" by promoting yourself.
    No listed credentials, no diary entries (or they're private, anyway)

I smell shenanigans.

Yeah, I noticed that too :tongue:

That's because we both eat junk food regularly. It makes you wiser. :laugh:

:laugh:

Eta: Yeah, not worth arguing with a troll :yawn: 95% of people who lose weight will fail at long term success. I'm doing this whole thing in a way that's sustainable for the rest of my life, and will make me part of the 5% that actually succeeds. I may not look like a VS model, but I do look pretty good for a 35 yr old mom of three kids :smile: And most importantly-I'm in the best health of my life and my doctor is very happy with my transformation. Good enough for me!
  • CarlHelgesson
    Options

Looked at your profile: Just joined up to "help people 'loose' weight" by promoting yourself.

I smell shenanigans.

I guess it's up to you do find out if I'm a troll or not. You're welcomed to see the other posts I've made here, it's not trolling, it's helping.

And why did I promote myself? Because I love to help. This is my passion!

I love to read about nutritional science, weight loss, fat burning, fitness etc. I love to educate my self. And I love to help others and to share the knowledge I've got.

I don't know if you got offended because I don't believe in eating junk food too much? If so, I'm sorry, that was not my intention.

But I hope you can have different opinions, experiences and knowledge here at Myfitnesspal. That's what's make a forum like this to develop, which will benefit all members.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

So, yeah.. you CAN lose weight eating nothing but junk food. However, you are probably going to feel like crap, have greasy skin and lifeless hair, beat the hell out of your system in the process, and not feel like continuing after a relatively short while.

Can we make an MFP rule to formerly ban this strawman argument?

I have never ever seen anyone suggest you should eat nothing but junk food. Even the homie Johnnythan doesn't say that. I don't get why people always go right to that argument when discussing clean eating.
  • kballard66
    Options
    Yes, I eat junk food, drink the occasional beer and lose weight. I log it and keep it within my calorie range. I can't deprive myself, that only makes me want it more. It's all about moderation.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

So, yeah.. you CAN lose weight eating nothing but junk food. However, you are probably going to feel like crap, have greasy skin and lifeless hair, beat the hell out of your system in the process, and not feel like continuing after a relatively short while.

I have never ever seen anyone suggest you should eat nothing but junk food. Even the homie Johnnythan doesn't say that. I don't get why people always go right to that argument when discussing clean eating.

Amen. Slow clap gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Just wondering who eats a bit of junk food and still losing weight? What do you class as 'junk' food? x x x

I don't classify any food as junk, except cauliflower.
  • fjcone
    fjcone Posts: 19
    Options
    I love junk food. I am a lifelong fan of Snicker bars. I have replaced them with Fiber One and Atkins bars. They have chocolate and are between 140-170c. For chips I usually try and stick to the baked types, cuts the calories by ~100. I had to say goodbye to Oreos and Chocolate Chip cookies though. No tasty alternative for those!
  • jongskinner
    Options
    It's true that if you maintain your net deficit you will lose weight.

However, more junk food and less healthy food may mean:

- you lose more muscle and retain more fat than the same calories with a higher proportion of protein and lower proportion of carb / fat.

- you find it harder to eat 3 satisfying meals a day if one takes up more than half your daily calories (and so feel hungrier through the day as a result).

My guess would be that a junk food meal once or twice a week is ok and small junky snacks maybe ok once a day but more than that the above effects may be a problem.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I smell shenanigans.

I guess it's up to you do find out if I'm a troll or not. You're welcomed to see the other posts I've made here, it's not trolling, it's helping.

And why did I promote myself? Because I love to help. This is my passion!

I love to read about nutritional science, weight loss, fat burning, fitness etc. I love to educate my self. And I love to help others and to share the knowledge I've got.

I don't know if you got offended because I don't believe in eating junk food too much? If so, I'm sorry, that was not my intention.

But I hope you can have different opinions, experiences and knowledge here at Myfitnesspal. That's what's make a forum like this to develop, which will benefit all members.

Okay, looked at your posts:
    Regarding detox it can be a good weapon to use now and then, if you do it right (basing the diet on ecological vegetables, wild caught fish, alcalized water, ecologica green tea etc). The one´s with just shakes, skip it.

A straight detox for 5-7 days can clear your body from waste products and getting your protein synthesis and insulin sensitivity on the right track. This will make your body answer even better on your following diet.

Are you acquainted with how the body functions?
    If so, you'd realize that "detox" isn't necessary.

You aren't helping.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Amen. Slow clap gif

Amen and yes I googled "Carl" some sort of Swedish "growth analyst"...troll...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Newbies and their broscience....gotta love MFP!

nutrient timing
    GI index
    clean diet
    slow metabolism
    sugar and fat = bad

Oh wow! Happy Monday, MFP! :heart:
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

It's not a strawman. It's an example of one extreme. The other would be eating nothing but organic vegetables washed in fresh dew. (which would have it's own set of long term health issues).

If you keep reading, you'll find what I'm saying is FIND YOUR OWN BALANCE.

Too many people push one extreme or the other, without seeing any middle ground.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

nutrient timing
    GI index
    clean diet
    slow metabolism
    sugar and fat = bad

Are you saying Glycemic Index does't exist?

Or that slow metabolisms don't exist?

I'm honestly curious.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

If the focus is on weight loss no it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you are in a reasonable deficet.

I eat what is considered by some "junk" food and I look great, feel great, I am progressing in my lifts really well as do all of us here who feel food is food and it is niether good nor bad and I have drop 8% bf in 7 months...along with 43lbs.

what you eat has no influence on where the fat goes that is genetics.

As to the car analogy if you are driving a car it doesn't matter if you put regular gas or premium on if that car gets you to point A and back...gas is gas. If however you are driving in a race you want to do more than just put gas in the car you want the oil changed, alignment checked etc...it's the same with the body if you want to lose fat and maintain muscle you get enough protien and fat watch your marcros...

but...this was about losing weight...that's it.

Great that you've lost all that weight.

But still, it's common sence; good food is better for your body than junk food. Period.

If you compare two persons with identically body types, both are eating with the same calorie deficit - one with quality food and one with junk food - and are doing exactly the same exercise; you will see a different in body composition.

Yes - both will loose weight.

No - they won't loose the same amount of weight. Probably will the person that is eating the quality food not loose as many pounds as the one with junk food. How come? Because the one with quality food will get more and better nutritents for the muscles, which will be in a more anabolic state, so that person will save more muscles, or in the best of worlds, add some. And muscles eat fat.

NO - the person loosing weight on a diet based on junk food will NOT have the same lean body composition as the one with quality food.

No - the person loosing weight on a diet based on junk food will probably not loose as much body fat as the person with the quality food diet.

Loosing weight are not the same as loosing fat. That's important to understand. That's why waist measure and Body Fat percentage are way better measurement than looking at the scale.

I've seen a lot of examples of people who has lost weight on a poor diet with junk food. They have been skinny with fat, and lost a lot of muscles.

However, adding junk food as cheat meals now and then, to reward yourself, is good.

Basing a diet on junk food to loose weight, is not that good, even if you loose weight.

That's a hughe difference.

Regarding the Porsche. If you have Porsche with a gasoline engine, you won't fuel it with diesel. You would like to fuel the expensive car with the best gasoline. You would treat your car like your precious. Exactly as you should treat your body.

You don't get "extra credit" for extra nutrients.

I smell shenanigans.

Yeah, I noticed that too :tongue:

That's because we both eat junk food regularly. It makes you wiser. :laugh:

:laugh:

Eta: Yeah, not worth arguing with a troll :yawn: 95% of people who lose weight will fail at long term success. I'm doing this whole thing in a way that's sustainable for the rest of my life, and will make me part of the 5% that actually succeeds. I may not look like a VS model, but I do look pretty good for a 35 yr old mom of three kids :smile: And most importantly-I'm in the best health of my life and my doctor is very happy with my transformation. Good enough for me!

True, it's not worth arguing, except that he's giving bad advice, AND the fact that he hinted at body shaming you (and others) just p!ssed me off.
    You look FANTASTIC!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Stretch it out:

hqdefault.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    Options

nutrient timing
    GI index
    clean diet
    slow metabolism
    sugar and fat = bad

Don't forget the veiled body shaming! Oh MFP... Don't ever change! Lol
  • SezxyStef
    Options

nutrient timing
    GI index
    clean diet
    slow metabolism
    sugar and fat = bad

Are you saying Glycemic Index does't exist?

Or that slow metabolisms don't exist?

I'm honestly curious.

GI doesn't matter for weight loss..it is calories in vs calories out...
    Slow metabolisms exist but are not common and normally it's about eating more than you think
  • SezxyStef
    Options

nutrient timing
    GI index
    clean diet
    slow metabolism
    sugar and fat = bad

Don't forget the veiled body shaming! Oh MFP... Don't ever change! Lol

Yes the "veiled" body shaming was the best...
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I don't think of food in the context of good or bad. I focus primarily on nutrient density to meet my macronutrients, then I eat whatever I want within my calorie limits. That way, you have freedom and there's no cutting out foods. I could cut things but why? I'm perfectly healthy. That's the important thing ;)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

It's not a strawman. It's an example of one extreme. The other would be eating nothing but organic vegetables washed in fresh dew. (which would have it's own set of long term health issues).

Yes an extreme that no one here has ever promoted or tried to support. So, if it isn't a strawman it is an appeal to an extreme. Fallacy still exists.

As to your other point about the GI - it is flawed by it's very nature. http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index