Worried about what to wear at the gym!

Options

Replies

• beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I see people of all shapes and sizes at the gym, so I really think you are overthinking this. But if you feel self conscious, just wear something loose. I wear stretchy capri workout pants and a loose, comfortable t-shirt over a sports bra. Most of the people I see at the gym wear loose, comfortable clothes. It's not a fashion show.
  • 195to135
    195to135 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wear anything you want most people are there to work out and chances are won't even notice you unless you talk to them,
    If you're really worried about people watching you pick a time the gym isn't as busy to work out until you're more comfortable working out in public.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym a few weeks after having a baby and just wore loose gym trousers and a baggy vest top (tank top to Americans). No-one ever looked at me, as far as I can tell. I never notice what anyone's wearing. The only person who's ever stood out to me is the woman with a boob job who prances round in a crop top and tight trousers! Oh, and the woman who does my Zumba class and wears really short shorts! I don't need to see that while I work out!

I'm 29 weeks pregnant now and go to the gym with my huge belly and no-one gives me a second glance!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    “You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”

― Eleanor Roosevelt
  • justifit
    Options
    Your funny. You sound like my sisters who refuse to go to the gym or pool because they feel someone is looking at them. LOL! Nobody is looking at you, Most people are focused on their work out. I am always glad to see someone in the gym at least working out. Relax, wear what you want. I look like a homeless old lady in the gym, then I transform on Saturday nights. :wink:
  • nicmax88
    nicmax88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So relieved other people feel the same! All my gym tops are too tight as I have gained weight (because I stopped going to the gym?). I wear stretchy bottoms and one of my boyfriend's t-shirts, as I refuse to buy more gear if I'm going to lose weight again! Look crap in the gym so you can look great outside it!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I have a thing about not wearing tops that will show massive sweat spots when I work out...I just feel totally disgusting with sweat spots. I can imagine some people feel the exact opposite and are motivated by seeing this product of their hardwork. I stick mostly with black tops for this reason. Plus, black is slimming, so I feel like I look kinda hot as I see myself in the wall to wall mirrors. :-) I stay away from grey completely and any other color that will visably show my sweat. It's probably weird, I know but it's easier to workout when you feel good about how you look and this is part of that for me.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do agree you should be comfortable, but I always work out better whan I have cute clothes to wear. Yes, my body is less than perfect, but a cute outfit can do wonders for your opinion on how you look. Plus if you get high waisted workout pants it really smashes that muffintop! :)

I agree. Wear something comfortable but also something you feel good about yourself in.. My high waisted workout pants are awesome at hiding that Fluff! I also bought some long sleeved work out shirts from Walmart that have cinched sides and adore those for hiding as well, plus they are cute!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I don't have any clothing options, but I suggest finding the fattest person at the gym and just exercising besides them. You won't be the focus. I'm typically the biggest gal at the gym all the time (325+ pounds here) so I'll let you run on the treadmill next to mine while I trot along at a 2.0 pace, sweating my rolls off.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you wear to the gym.... you're there to work out... it's not a fashion show. People are not worried about what you're wearing or what you're doing because they're too busy worrying about what they are doing/wearing. Wear whatever is comfortable for you that you don't need to fuss with so you can focus on getting your workout done.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever is comfortable for training in.

I train in a vest (or wicking T-shirt) and a pair of combats; I play tennis in the same - because I do rock climbing in the same and I'll be pushing when climbing and require far more flexibility than I do in the gym or on the court. :-D
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I think most people at the gym spend more time looking at themselves than other people. Sure, you notice other people but for me they only really stand out unless they're doing something wacky or they're dressed really wacky (all neon and fuzzy leg warmers anyone?). Even then they mostly just get a passing glance.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    It's just a complexity you have which most other people probably won't think twice to notice.. But if you want to feel confident then try the suggestions for clothes that people have mentioned :)
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So to add to this topic, what the heck do you wear to a Water Fitness class? Ugg do I really need to put on a swimsuit? NOOO!

Can I wear a one piece with a tshirt over it?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    So to add to this topic, what the heck do you wear to a Water Fitness class? Ugg do I really need to put on a swimsuit? NOOO!

If I wanted to cover more of me (and I were female), I'd wear a one-piece.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My theory is, who the heck cares? At least I'm there and getting *kitten* done. I used to hate working out in front of people. I still do if I'm doing something new and have no idea what I'm doing. But once I get into a routine, I totally don't care anymore. For me it was sweating so much in front of so many people. Everybody sweats. Even skinny people.

I wear yoga capris 99% of the time when I work out. And tanks that are somewhat loose. And as you can see from my profile picture, I definitely have a muffin top.

Welcome, feel free to add me and good luck!
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Check with your pool and ask if you can wear a tshirt over your bathing suit. Some pools may not allow this.
    Definitely go with a one piece bathing suit to exercise. In the pool, no one cares what you look like but a more modest approach is generally appreciated!
  • rubyred138
    rubyred138 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually throw on a baggy tank top over my sports bra/ workout top or a zip up hooded sweatshirt. I prefer the sweatshirt because it has pockets so its hiding my parts of my body I dont like and then I have a place for my keys and phone. Most likely nobody notices you but I know how you feel about not wanting to show the parts youre uncomfortable with.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Wear what you find comfortable, seriously no one is judging your outfit and if anyone is judging you in a negative way who cares what they think?
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

I wear a one piece with slightly longer legs (like hotpant length) for full bum coverage. Of course, they roll up over my thigh chub but at least no bum flesh is on show.