Worried about what to wear at the gym!

Options

Replies

• JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I don't have any clothing options, but I suggest finding the fattest person at the gym and just exercising besides them. You won't be the focus. I'm typically the biggest gal at the gym all the time (325+ pounds here) so I'll let you run on the treadmill next to mine while I trot along at a 2.0 pace, sweating my rolls off.

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I can honestly tell you that no one gives a damn what you look like/are wearing at the gym!
    My only bit of advice is to please don't wear perfume/body scents when you work out, your exercising neighbors will thank you!

Really? Why?

Not that I spray on perfume before my workout - I've seen girls do this but to me it's a waste of expensive perfume - but I don't understand why it would annoy others?
  • Amermaid98
    Amermaid98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wear something loose, long & comfy and airy. don't worry about what others think. wear what is practical .
  • anotherwarriorgirl
    Options
    The more you start going to the gym, the less uncomfortable you'll feel! Keep on keeping on and in a few weeks, you'll be so used to seeing the same people that you'll forget about your insecurities. It may take some time, but you can do it!

Sending a friend request, too :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    People don't look as much as others think. People there are like you, they are more worried about how they look and not how others look.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I like food.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Screw everyone else! You wear what you wanna wear, and if they're grossed out, well then they shouldn't be looking!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're already in a t-shirt, I can't see it getting much more modest. Wear whatever you find comfortable to work out in. I wear a loose, quick-dry shirt and running shorts.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't have any clothing options, but I suggest finding the fattest person at the gym and just exercising besides them. You won't be the focus. I'm typically the biggest gal at the gym all the time (325+ pounds here) so I'll let you run on the treadmill next to mine while I trot along at a 2.0 pace, sweating my rolls off.

I do this, but in terms of sweatiness. I'm always disgusting and totally soaked, so I like working out next to "Sweaty Guy" (as I call him), so I look dry by comparison.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever makes you comfortable. Im pretty sure people are focused on their workout.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I can honestly tell you that no one gives a damn what you look like/are wearing at the gym!
    My only bit of advice is to please don't wear perfume/body scents when you work out, your exercising neighbors will thank you!

Really? Why?

Not that I spray on perfume before my workout - I've seen girls do this but to me it's a waste of expensive perfume - but I don't understand why it would annoy others?
    For those of us with Asthma or other breathing difficulties, it makes it more difficult for us to breathe. For others, it causes sneezing etc. It's just generally a pain for people around you, breathing heavily, in close proximity.

@OP - If you're concerned, put on a loose vest or t-shirt over your sports bra or w/e. Most people don't care, though.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't care at all, in the slightest about how anyone looks at the gym. I care only that they:

1. Wipe off equipment and machines when they're done with them.
    2. Really put for an effort (else why tie up resources that someone who's serious about their workout could be using)
    3. Take cell calls in the lobby, or at least keep them brief and quietly subdued. Thankfully, my gym ejects "meatheads, pad-holes, and cell abusers".

Seriously, no one will care. As long as clothes are clean (well, not rank and smelly) they aren't an issue.
  • BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't care at all, in the slightest about how anyone looks at the gym. I care only that they:

1. Wipe off equipment and machines when they're done with them.
    2. Really put for an effort (else why tie up resources that someone who's serious about their workout could be using)
    3. Take cell calls in the lobby, or at least keep them brief and quietly subdued. Thankfully, my gym ejects "meatheads, pad-holes, and cell abusers".

Seriously, no one will care. As long as clothes are clean (well, not rank and smelly) they aren't an issue.

^^ yup!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I like pants that have a higher or wide waistband. So items like basketball shorts or leggings don't work for me.

I used to love bootcut pants but now I wear tights since they don't fall down my legs if I'm doing leg raises or something similar. Capri length tights are also great! WalMart has some Danskin brand that have the nice waist bands.

Also, if i'm feeling "muffiny" but want to look cute I LOVE tank tops that have a blouson waist. They have a bottom band that makes them "fluff" over the waist area and you still have the shape of your natural body showing. They are great for showing off your arms and back. I have purchased these from Victoria's Secret (only one and it was on clearance) and at Old Navy.

For yoga I hate wearing regular tees because when you do a downward dog they gather into your face.

One thing I will say is that I don't like the Under Armor dry tees. For some reason they always roll up and my back is hanging out. It becomes annoying during a workout. Also now that I work out in the office building I work in i don't want all the CEO's to see my tatts. Not because I'M bothered, but because THEY might be.

And i always like to look cute for myself since i am staring in the mirror (to watch my form) and not at a treadmill.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Wearing clothes in the gym is definitely a good idea. Optional in home gyms, IF the windows are blocked sufficiently and the bar knurling isn't too abrasive. Or if you just roll that way, I guess.
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel embarrassed by how you look. Everyone at the gym is focused on the same goal as you (or should be). But if it is an excuse you know you will use to not go to the gym, get something you are comformtable in, like jogging pants. Don't buy some yoga pants and then say you are embarrassed to go and then don't go... :)
  • janelleross
    janelleross Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am very self conscious about my arms. I never wear tank tops or sleeveless tops. So, I used to always wear a baggy cotton t-shirt to the gym. Until my wise daughter said, "Mom, if you would just wear a work-out tank to the gym, you'll be so much more comfortable." You know what?! She was right! The work-out tank is so much cooler than a t-shirt, and easier to move around in. And you know what? I look just fine! My arms might not be toned and sexy, but I'm working on it!
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    I just make sure my shorts are long enough in case "things" start falling out while on the stationary bike. I also wear compression shorts under my short shorts.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just wear clothes for Comfort & Function. If I feel comfortable and it works for me I use it. I learned over time & trial and error that things like: Cotton shorts are NOT so great for running because I sweat and they bunch up and cause scrape burns.

Good luck :smile:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    if its clean i wear it