How long until you saw improvement in your running?

Options
Hey guys, I started outdoors running yesterday via C25K. I was just wondering as the title asks. Also, I seem to suffer with bad stitches and end up with a headache both times I went. Did anyone else have any issues like that? Any tips? Thanks!

Replies

• ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Within one week of running (jogging) x3 a week, I could already feel a difference. I.e. I was not gasping for breath after 30s. Mixing it up with some other activities did help, as well.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Within one week of running (jogging) x3 a week, I could already feel a difference. I.e. I was not gasping for breath after 30s. Mixing it up with some other activities did help, as well.

I'll be doing classes and weights as well so that's good to know. Thanks!
  • jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    C25k only requires very short running elements on the first day. Are you in fact running more than they recommend?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Side stiches are usually a result of breathing issues when running, at least for me they are. Focus on whole, deep breaths and that should help control them. One thing that works for me is shifting from breathing in on alternate steps; that is meaning that I breathe in for a count of 3 (say on my left foot) out for 2 then in again for three (then on the right foot). Helps me at least.

As far as improvement, you will improve drastically as your continue running. One of the biggest aids in improvement is time on your feet. To give you an example with myself, my first 5K I ran last year in March with a time of 36+....my last road 5K, which was in October, I ran in 31:51, and that was solely from increasing my mileage per week (MPW).

Just remember to go slow, trust the program, and invest in good quality running shoes from a running store.
  • benefiting
    Options
    C25k only requires very short running elements on the first day. Are you in fact running more than they recommend?

No, I don't believe so. I did apparently did 2.75KM on week 1 day 2 today. Is that too much?
  • benefiting
    Options
    PS...I think if you are getting headaches and getting ut of breath you are going too fast, slow it down to a slow jog. Get your endurance down then work on speed :)

Okay, thanks for the tips!
  • baby_valiant
    baby_valiant Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I noticed a huge difference in a week - interval training everyday.

When I restart (stopped due to injury) I will be doing this differently though!
  • benefiting
    Options
    Side stiches are usually a result of breathing issues when running, at least for me they are. Focus on whole, deep breaths and that should help control them. One thing that works for me is shifting from breathing in on alternate steps; that is meaning that I breathe in for a count of 3 (say on my left foot) out for 2 then in again for three (then on the right foot). Helps me at least.

As far as improvement, you will improve drastically as your continue running. One of the biggest aids in improvement is time on your feet. To give you an example with myself, my first 5K I ran last year in March with a time of 36+....my last road 5K, which was in October, I ran in 31:51, and that was solely from increasing my mileage per week (MPW).

Just remember to go slow, trust the program, and invest in good quality running shoes from a running store.

Thanks so much! I realise that my pace is all over the place. Sometimes I seem to go fast and then others I take it slow. Sometimes I even just jog on the spot!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Thanks so much! I realise that my pace is all over the place. Sometimes I seem to go fast and then others I take it slow. Sometimes I even just jog on the spot!

If you think you can go slow, then go slower. Once you get to the speed where you can't possibly go any slower or else you would be walking, then you have found the speed you should do your running at. And actually, that may or may not be faster than you can walk lol. The whole idea right now is to get you running 30 minutes or 5K straight, depending on what style of C25K you are using (time vs. distance).
  • benefiting
    Options

If you think you can go slow, then go slower. Once you get to the speed where you can't possibly go any slower or else you would be walking, then you have found the speed you should do your running at. And actually, that may or may not be faster than you can walk lol. The whole idea right now is to get you running 30 minutes or 5K straight, depending on what style of C25K you are using (time vs. distance).

I'm doing it the time way first. I rather concentrate on being able to run the time before focusing on the distance. :)
  • LadyPinkMan
    LadyPinkMan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I started outdoors running yesterday via C25K. I was just wondering as the title asks. Also, I seem to suffer with bad stitches and end up with a headache both times I went. Did anyone else have any issues like that? Any tips? Thanks!

I suffer from the same headache and side stitches...plus my entire face and neck muscles start throbbing and aches like hell.....
    I do suffer from sinusitis though...so i am not sure If that's the culprit....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    PS...I think if you are getting headaches and getting ut of breath you are going too fast, slow it down to a slow jog. Get your endurance down then work on speed :)

This advice clears up about 80% of running issues. Getting fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store takes care of 99% of the rest of them.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I suffer from the same headache and side stitches...plus my entire face and neck muscles start throbbing and aches like hell.....

It sounds like you are tensing up your shoulders. Try letting your arms dangle by your sides and mindfully relax your neck and shoulder muscles. When I did this, it also cleared up some form issues as I couldn't use my arms to counterbalance slouching, etc.
  • benefiting
    Options

It sounds like you are tensing up your shoulders. Try letting your arms dangle by your sides and mindfully relax your neck and shoulder muscles. When I did this, it also cleared up some form issues as I couldn't use my arms to counterbalance slouching, etc.

Ah, I'll try to pay more attention to them tomorrow. Thanks!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Personally, I saw improvements every week. Within 6 weeks, I was running farther than I ever imagined. I successfully completed the program, which was unexpected as I started it expecting to fail. I've continued to run over the past year and have noticed dramatic changes about every three months.

You do get more fit. Part of that is that your entire body changes - you build a stronger heart, more blood vessels, increase bone density, improve joints and ligaments, even increase your brain activity. After the first six weeks, you've made enough changes that your body is no longer a "non-runner's" body. Over the course of the next year, your body will have time to make a complete overhaul of just about everything.
  • benefiting
    Options
    Personally, I saw improvements every week. Within 6 weeks, I was running farther than I ever imagined. I successfully completed the program, which was unexpected as I started it expecting to fail. I've continued to run over the past year and have noticed dramatic changes about every three months.

You do get more fit. Part of that is that your entire body changes - you build a stronger heart, more blood vessels, increase bone density, improve joints and ligaments, even increase your brain activity. After the first six weeks, you've made enough changes that your body is no longer a "non-runner's" body. Over the course of the next year, your body will have time to make a complete overhaul of just about everything.

Wow, I might quote that somewhere to read it when I need some inspiration to keep going. Thanks a lot!