How long until you saw improvement in your running?

Options

Replies

• rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started running 3 weeks ago...last friday night I ran one consecutive mile and then about a 3/4 mile after a 1.5 mins walking inbetween. massive improvement. I am very unfit when it comes to running but keep at it because the progress will come faster than you expect.
    I spend alot of effort concentrating on breathing. I have to count my inhales and exhales to make sure I don't start panting from the start! but now after 3 weeks I don't have to concentrate as hard it's beginning to be a bit more natural.
    Watch your form as well. spend a little concentration on your foot placement and not jarring your knees.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Side stitches are the result of poor breathing and poor form. Both will make you injury prone in the long run, which can end up sidelining you. Both are fairly simple to fix. I would concentrate on those more, even if it means a slower pace. Getting to injury faster is not a prize.
  • rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I'm doing it the time way first. I rather concentrate on being able to run the time before focusing on the distance. :)

Same here...I started doing intervals...
    4mins running (more like jogging, if I went too fast I just burned out way too quickly)
    1 min walking
    4 mins running
    1 min walking
    4 mins running
    then about 3 min walk back home (about 1.5mile route)
    during week 2 the first 4 mins was increasing to about 5 mins and then week 3 I done 11 mins non-stop before any intervals. At that point I checked the distance and seen I was only about 0.2miles off the 1 mile mark so I stopped looking at the stopwatch and tried to meet that marker which I did on Friday night....
    even though these are just beginner stats the progress is tangible.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising about 6 months ago I went on the cross trainer for about 10 minutes and felt light headed. I tried jogging and had to stop after 5 minutes and was gasping for breath.
    I had not been running per se as I much prefer Zumba and Aerobics. However, after 5 months of Zumba and Aerobics (1-2 times a week on average), I decided to sign up for a 10k run and decided to see how long I could run. I did 5.5km yesterday non stop and I could have easily gone for longer (over 40 minutes at 8kmph). So that is a MASSIVE difference from when I started.
    So I do agree with mixing it up with other activities to get both your cardiovascular and muscle/joint strength up.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Also, I seem to suffer with bad stitches and end up with a headache both times I went. Did anyone else have any issues like that? Any tips? Thanks!

For me the stitches were because I was running at too fast a rate. Slowing down seems to have fixed it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    "Improvement" is a relative term (Improve time? Overall ability/enjoyment? Accomplish a HM? Survive a run around the block?).

Loosen up, go slow, breathe naturally. Try running at all times of the day, if possible. I used to not be able to run in the afternoon, but over time I figured it out. I also noticed improvement when I quit trying to race on every single training run and just slowed down. Way down. As far as speed and overall endurance, I noticed improvement once I hit 30-35 MPW.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also, I seem to suffer with bad stitches and end up with a headache both times I went.

I found myself improving in a couple of weeks and then progressively fro there.

As far as sttch is concerned, ease back on the speed a little and make sure you hydrate before you run. As you're describing headache as well then I'd suggest the latter. Have a pint of water before going out, space it over an hour if you're conscious of the liquid sloching around :)
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You will see the difference early. If you were having bad stitches you might need to slow down a little. The goal is to walk then jog for a while. Don't go to fast out of the gate. You need to be able to breath comfortably through the whole thing. Take care. I began slowly and have built up. Though I will never be a 8 min miler, I enjoy running and you will too after a while. Good Luck
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Also, check out the Couch to 5k board. There are dozens of people going through the program right now and they are really supportive. They can also answer a number of those basic questions that you might have right now.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    make sure you hydrate before you run.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest. I had pretty much a 100% improvement in my running when I was making sure to hydrate properly first. The difference was really substantial. Plus, then I didn't feel like I was dying from dehydration when I came back in from my run.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Non-runner here.
    I would imagine you will notice progress early on.
    I started running intervals (my own version sort of c25k) about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I've gone from not being able to run a mile, to being able to run 5k on a good day. Push yourself, but also know your limits. If you're really struggling, slow down down. If you move onto the next week and are having a rough go, repeat the week before. Try, try again.
    (This is me not knowing the first thing about running... this is just what I have learned from runner friends and has worked for me.)
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    When I first started running about 10 years ago, I did a walk/run program to gradually build up the time and distance I could run. (This was before the days of iPhones and C25K). The program I followed said that I would be able to run for 30 minutes straight after 8 weeks. I didn't believe that could be possible. It seemed like such an unachievable thing. But I followed the program, and every week I realised that I could run longer, and at the end of 8 weeks, I could run for 30 mins non-stop! It was such a great feeling of accomplishment! Keep going, and every week you should see improvements.

I second what everyone else has said about running slower during your running intervals. A runner (now my husband) once told me early on in my running to just run slower! So I did, and I could immediately run further for longer without feeling like I was going to die.

My runner husband also reckons that dehydration can cause stitches, so make sure you are well hydrated.

I have read that stitches can also be caused by twisting your upper body too much when you are running. Check if your arms are crossing the front of your body as you run, as this is a sign that you are twisting your upper body too much.

Good luck, and keep running!
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I usually bring a 1.25l bottle of water with me and drink it after every minute of running. I however do not drink anything before leaving so I'll give that a shot and try and run slower too/watch my breathing. Thanks a lot guys!
  • benefiting
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Also, check out the Couch to 5k board. There are dozens of people going through the program right now and they are really supportive. They can also answer a number of those basic questions that you might have right now.

Thank you!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hi!
    Non-runner here.
    I would imagine you will notice progress early on.
    I started running intervals (my own version sort of c25k) about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I've gone from not being able to run a mile, to being able to run 5k on a good day. Push yourself, but also know your limits. If you're really struggling, slow down down. If you move onto the next week and are having a rough go, repeat the week before. Try, try again.
    (This is me not knowing the first thing about running... this is just what I have learned from runner friends and has worked for me.*)

Ahem. If you can run 3 miles, run regularly and plan to run again in the near future, you are a runner.

*And if you know enough to slow down, you know enough to fix 80% of the problems you'll face.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I usually bring a 1.25l bottle of water with me and drink it after every minute of running. I however do not drink anything before leaving so I'll give that a shot and try and run slower too/watch my breathing. Thanks a lot guys!

Try a sports drink an hour before. Most people don't need to hydrate during thirty minutes of running unless they are already dehydrated (of course, do what works for you).
  • benefiting
    Options

Try a sports drink an hour before. Most people don't need to hydrate during thirty minutes of running unless they are already dehydrated (of course, do what works for you).

I rather stick with water. I don't believe in drinking sports drinks but thanks for the advice. :)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It takes time. I did c25k twice, once on a treadmill and once outside. Running outside is SO much harder than treadmill.
    Just focus on your breathing and keep your core tight. If you get a stitch you can massage it out by gently pressing on it and massaging with your fingertips.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The first week of c25k is 1 min run, 1 min walk so are you sure you are doing the first week?

I have recently started c25k, and due to health issues it is taking me much longer than the 9 weeks. But when i started running, I struggled to run for 30 secs, and this week, I am running for 3 mins and 5 mins with walking intervals.

The thing that helped me the most was slowing my pace right down on all the runs in a session, not just the longer ones. Then, as i repeat the sessions, I gradually find my pace gets faster. Then, as i start the next stage, I slow right down again.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I rather stick with water. I don't believe in drinking sports drinks but thanks for the advice. :)

Sports Drink captures a pretty broad range of options, and whilst I'd agree that you're unlikely to need it there are some options that may help if you are already dehydrated.

Where you are justnow the only thing that may benefit is a salt replacement.

When I started C25K I was carrying water and drinking about 500ml during the session, now I'm more conditioned to running I generally don't carry at all for up to 60 minutes. For a 40-60 minute run I'll drink a 500ml bottle with a High5 mineral tablet dissolved in it. Above 60 minutes I'll have that and a protein recovery drink.

All that is merely my experience, and my training is somewhat different at the moment.