haven't had a good "what counts as water" thread in a while

Options
124»

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I say that my tequila counts.

Who would be so cruel as to tell you it doesn't? Vodka, whiskey, scotch, and wine count too.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Ok, so TECHNICALLY, the chemical compound of water is H2O, so when you add coffee, sugar, fruit juice, etc to it, it WOULD change the chemical makeup so that the new substance is no longer H2O.

No. Adding those ingredients would be a physical process - not a chemical one. The chemical makeup doesn't actually change. All you really have to do to get the original ingredients back is boil it. It's not quite as easy as it sounds, as you need to know the boiling points of the different ingredients in the mixtures, and some basic equipment that most people either don't normally have in their homes or know how to make, but that - in essence - is all it takes. When one of the substances (most likely the water) evaporates, the additive is left behind. As such, it's still water. Water + whatever you put into it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I say anything that has its first ingredient listed as water counts, I mean its some water right?
    No, but see, but no 'cause, see, an actual chemist once told us -- RIGHT HERE ON MFP!!! -- that adding coffee grounds or tea or, well, anything really, changes the chemistry of the water and then it isn't water anymore, so you can't count it.

Duh.

Wait. What??? I certainly hope you're joking that someone who claimed to be a chemist actually said that.

It's true, I read that post and promptly exited the forums for fear of that sort of thing being contagious.

Technically, it is correct in the purest most scientific meaning of the word. If it is not H2O, it is not water. However, functionally speaking, I think it's whacked.
    But it is H2O. It's just H2O with something added to it. The ta leaves aren't H2O, so they themselves aren't water. But the water you added the tea leaves to remains water.

This guy was claiming there was an actual chemical reaction that made the H2O no longer H2O.
  • BINGO!

thank you John
  • blove_925
    blove_925 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    NIce!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I say anything that has its first ingredient listed as water counts, I mean its some water right?
    No, but see, but no 'cause, see, an actual chemist once told us -- RIGHT HERE ON MFP!!! -- that adding coffee grounds or tea or, well, anything really, changes the chemistry of the water and then it isn't water anymore, so you can't count it.

Duh.

Wait. What??? I certainly hope you're joking that someone who claimed to be a chemist actually said that.

It's true, I read that post and promptly exited the forums for fear of that sort of thing being contagious.

Technically, it is correct in the purest most scientific meaning of the word. If it is not H2O, it is not water. However, functionally speaking, I think it's whacked.
    But it is H2O. It's just H2O with something added to it. The ta leaves aren't H2O, so they themselves aren't water. But the water you added the tea leaves to remains water.

This guy was claiming there was an actual chemical reaction that made the H2O no longer H2O.

Then that guy was cray cray.

But his standards, tap water isn't water then. It has calcium carbonate, lead, copper, chlorine...

It is virtually impossible to get absolutely pure water. Even the stuff in my lab that is double distilled and then reverse osmozed still has something left in it. Plus, it tastes like crap, and you wouldn't want to drink much of it, as it will leach minerals from your body as it passes through.

Personally, I figure that if beer dehydrates you just a little, I need to drink MORE of it to counter those effects.
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A very HOT Bath.. Your breathing in the steam.. That is water.

:GRIN:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

Duh.

But his standards, tap water isn't water then. It has calcium carbonate, lead, copper, chlorine...

It is virtually impossible to get absolutely pure water. Even the stuff in my lab that is double distilled and then reverse osmozed still has something left in it. Plus, it tastes like crap, and you wouldn't want to drink much of it, as it will leach minerals from your body as it passes through.

Personally, I figure that if beer dehydrates you just a little, I need to drink MORE of it to counter those effects.

Aww man, I used to love making my crystal light pitchers out of our Millipore when I was in grad school..
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Duh.

Aww man, I used to love making my crystal light pitchers out of our Millipore when I was in grad school..

With the HPLC grade EtOH as well? :wink:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

Duh.

With the HPLC grade EtOH as well? :wink:

we didn't have that big of a budget...besides, everclear is cheaper...if you're gonna drink it...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I count the ice in my double bourbon when it melts.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Beer and wine. Yum.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Duh.

Well, That's just stupid for most things you would put in your mouth. It's a solution that is technically no longer water. It's not chemically altered though in most cases. Although water itself is in flux between H2O and H3O+ and OH- so....