Accommodating Calories

Options
MFP has suggested I eat (Net Calories Consumed* / Day) 1800 kCals per day based on my height (175cm and weight 149kg).

I find that hard to believe - seems like a lot of food. I exercised today and burned 1579kCals so that's been added to my total food to eat! So I have a total of 3379 kCals today!! I don't think I can fit that all in before I go to bed.

How do you all deal with such a predicament?

Luckily I worked out early, however does this suggest MPF discourages evening exercise? Say I burned 1000 kCal in an evening body combat class - do I eat those 1000 kCal before I go to bed? Or make up for it the next day?

Thanks in advance ...

Replies

• Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    For those who have lost a significant amount, how did you cope with the reduction in calories as you lost weight?

Thanks again!! :-)
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Bump
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What on earth were you doing to burn 1579 calories??? you don't have to eat back your exercise calories so don't worry about that added on top
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    1800 calories sounds perfectly reasonable. I frequently run in the evenings so on longer ones can have a lot of exercise calories. I just use some common sense I'm not going to force myself to over eat, also as in reality all the figures we are working on are estimates I leave some wiggle room for errors. On longer runs I probably only eat around half of them back. If though I know I'm going to be doing a long one in the evening I will make sure I eat more in the day to fuel that. After a while you get to Judge how many calories your likely to burn so can take this into account in your daily eating. If you don't always eat them back it's not the end of the world you just need to get a balance and remember if you fuel your exercise correctly you'll get better and fitter as you'll be able to work harder.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I have women who lift 3x a week eating 2300cals a day to lose fat.
    It depends on how metabolically flexible you are.

Heres my post on how to figure this out:
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet<---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    What on earth were you doing to burn 1579 calories??? you don't have to eat back your exercise calories so don't worry about that added on top

Firstly, thank you so much for your reply.

I thought I had to eat up my calories to avoid starvation mode. Myfitnesspal just adds on the calories I've burned on to my total calorie allowance for the day.

As to your question, I have a Decathlon heart rate monitor, I plug in my credentials:

Height -175 cm
    Weight - 23 st 7lbs
    Resting heart rate - 85bpm
    Age - 37
    Sex - female

Then it tells me how much I've burned. I did spin + gym for the first time in months, it was hard work, total 80 mins 1579 is what I
    burned. My hesrt rate regularly goes up to 175-180 bpm, when i do cardio and about 160 when strength training like squats or dead lifts.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    1800 calories sounds perfectly reasonable. I frequently run in the evenings so on longer ones can have a lot of exercise calories. I just use some common sense I'm not going to force myself to over eat, also as in reality all the figures we are working on are estimates I leave some wiggle room for errors. On longer runs I probably only eat around half of them back. If though I know I'm going to be doing a long one in the evening I will make sure I eat more in the day to fuel that. After a while you get to Judge how many calories your likely to burn so can take this into account in your daily eating. If you don't always eat them back it's not the end of the world you just need to get a balance and remember if you fuel your exercise correctly you'll get better and fitter as you'll be able to work harder.

hi,

1. Thanks for replying
    2. I loved fingermouse!
    3. Youve done so well with the weight loss. Was it all through myfitnesspal? Do you eat anything so long as youre in your calorie allowance?

thanks
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You may want to check to make sure your HR monitor is accurate if you plan to eat back your exercise calories. 1579 calories is a lot to burn in only an hour and twenty minutes.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    you don't have to eat back your exercise calories so don't worry about that added on top

Firstly, ignore this.

Secondly, that amount sounds fine to me. You have a lot to lose (that's not a criticism, I do too!) so you will need to eat more to keep your body running.

Based on that kind of activity, your TDEE I have just worked out to be 3457 calories, so to lose 1lb a week, you'd be eating 500 calories below that. For 2lb a week, 1000 calories below that.

Don't forget that your calories will drop the more weight you lose.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    You may want to check to make sure your HR monitor is accurate if you plan to eat back your exercise calories. 1579 calories is a lot to burn in only an hour and twenty minutes.

How does one check the accuracy of one's heart rate monitor?

I regularly burn about 1000 kCals per hour, it's not unusual for me.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    you don't have to eat back your exercise calories so don't worry about that added on top

Firstly, ignore this.

Secondly, that amount sounds fine to me. You have a lot to lose (that's not a criticism, I do too!) so you will need to eat more to keep your body running.

Based on that kind of activity, your TDEE I have just worked out to be 3457 calories, so to lose 1lb a week, you'd be eating 500 calories below that. For 2lb a week, 1000 calories below that.

Hi,

Thank you for replying. Firstly, I'm not at all offended by what you said. I know there are some sensitive folks about but i am not one of them lol. Also ipsa loquitur ..... my weight loss ticker. Lol.

So I should eat my exercise calories to keep my hefty bulk functioning? However I shouldn't get crazy about eating them all uo, particularly in the evenings?

So I shouldn't eat back my calories
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

How does one check the accuracy of one's heart rate monitor?

I regularly burn about 1000 kCals per hour, it's not unusual for me.

Use a different monitor to double check the one you are using. I have seen HR monitors that are way off. They are more accurate than using a calorie burn calculator but they are not as accurate as most people think. You could be burning that much, I don't know, I'm just saying I would check it to make sure so you don't end up being one of those people that are on here in couple of months wondering why they are not losing weight because they are not burning as much as they think.

Good luck...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Firstly, ignore this.

Hypothetical situation of course but...

So if Suzie Q who's been dieting incorrectly for 5 years and has a compromized metabolic rate due to mitochondrial inefficiency maintains her weight at 5'3" 180lbs eating 1200 calories a day, in order to lose 1lb of fat a week she needs to cut 500cals off her maintenance bringing her down to 700cals a day.....

If only the 3500 calorie = 1lb fat model ever worked.

to get a true estimation of how many calories are truly in each individual persons fat cell, it would take 20 pages of complex math equations with such a wide range of error....

Anywho.

Your ability to lose weight relies on creating a deficit.
    Your ability to lose fat and maintain muscle relies on your ability to train correctly and somewhat monitor macros.
    The most important macro being protein then fat.

If you need help losing the fat please reach out to me.
    My methods are below.

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet<---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    How do you all deal with such a predicament?

Stop burning 1600 calories a day.

tumblr_inline_mqxq51UnUV1qz4rgp.gif
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Well, if you're using MFP, you do.
  • lauren3101
    Options

Firstly, ignore this.

Hi,

Thank you for replying. Firstly, I'm not at all offended by what you said. I know there are some sensitive folks about but i am not one of them lol. Also ipsa loquitur ..... my weight loss ticker. Lol.

So I should eat my exercise calories to keep my hefty bulk functioning? However I shouldn't get crazy about eating them all uo, particularly in the evenings?

So I shouldn't eat back my calories

Yes, you should back your exercise calories. MFP already factors in a deficit without them to enable you to lose weight, so if you then burn calories and don't eat them back, you end up with a bigger deficit. Sounds like a good thing, but that's not necessarily true.

If you are struggling, eat high calorie but low density foods, like peanut butter, nuts, oils. avocados, full fat dairy, etc.

Also, does your HRM have a chest strap?
  • lauren3101
    Options
    Firstly, ignore this.

Hypothetical situation of course but...

So if Suzie Q who's been dieting incorrectly for 5 years and has a compromized metabolic rate due to mitochondrial inefficiency maintains her weight at 5'3" 180lbs eating 1200 calories a day, in order to lose 1lb of fat a week she needs to cut 500cals off her maintenance bringing her down to 700cals a day.....

If only the 3500 calorie = 1lb fat model ever worked.

to get a true estimation of how many calories are truly in each individual persons fat cell, it would take 20 pages of complex math equations with such a wide range of error....

Obviously, but it wasn't really necessary to point that out, was it? The OP didn't say she had been eating a VLCD for 5 years. By the fact she stated that she didn't want to not eat her exercise calories due to 'starvation mode' (a incorrect term that I hate, but I understand what she meant) I would assume that OP has probably not been on a VLCD for 5 years.

If the OP had come on here and said 'I eat 1000 calories a day and can't lose weight', I would not have told her to drop to 500. My answer would have been very different, as I'm sure you well know.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That is a crazy amount of calories to burn!!! I'd say if you are burning that much - you should definitely be eating more! Fruits and nuts tend to have lots of calories so that would be an easy way to make it up. If you have an intense work out in the evening and don't feel like eating, just have a little yogurt before bed, and then have a huge breakfast the next morning!
    If you're really not hungry its not like you HAVE to eat - but I think if you're going to exert that much energy then you want to make sure you're getting enough fuel.
    Also, unless you're wearing an HRM it's not totally guaranteed that you're burning that many calories, as MFP tends to overestimate. But it's not impossible if you're really pushing it!
  • KezJB
    KezJB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Deffo double check with a HR monitor, I am 5'3 and 57kg, so I know a bit smaller than you, but I only burn about 1200 cals when I do a half marathon!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Firstly, thank you so much for your reply.

I thought I had to eat up my calories to avoid starvation mode. Myfitnesspal just adds on the calories I've burned on to my total calorie allowance for the day.

As to your question, I have a Decathlon heart rate monitor, I plug in my credentials:

Height -175 cm
    Weight - 23 st 7lbs
    Resting heart rate - 85bpm
    Age - 37
    Sex - female

Then it tells me how much I've burned. I did spin + gym for the first time in months, it was hard work, total 80 mins 1579 is what I
    burned. My hesrt rate regularly goes up to 175-180 bpm, when i do cardio and about 160 when strength training like squats or dead lifts.

You did NOT burn 1579 calories spinning at the gym for 80 minutes.

Ditch the HRM. They are notoriously inaccurate for many people. At best, eat back 50% of the calories you gain from exercise.