Accommodating Calories

Options

Replies

• ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Deffo double check with a HR monitor, I am 5'3 and 57kg, so I know a bit smaller than you, but I only burn about 1200 cals when I do a half marathon!

OP, my numbers also align well with this person's post:

6 mile run, 80 minutes (with warm up and cool down) 631 calories according to my HRM.
    I am 5' 7" and ~152 pounds (~69 kg).

Best course of action is to make a plan/monitor weight loss on said plan/modify plan as required for desired effect/repeat cycle.

Good luck!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Deffo double check with a HR monitor, I am 5'3 and 57kg, so I know a bit smaller than you, but I only burn about 1200 cals when I do a half marathon!

6 mile run, 80 minutes (with warm up and cool down) 631 calories according to my HRM.

Best course of action is to make a plan/monitor weight loss on said plan/modify plan as required for desired effect/repeat cycle.

Good luck!

The OP said she weighed 149kg. That's more than double what you both weigh, and the calorie burns she listed for someone at that weight are actually very achieveable.

When I was 282 at my starting weight, I could burn 800 calories an hour by walking at 4mph. It's less now, as my body has got smaller, I've got more used to the exercise, and I'm fitter so my HR doesn't go as high, but for someone of that weight, particularly for something like spinning, it's certainly possible.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    How do you all deal with such a predicament?

Stop burning 1600 calories a day.

tumblr_inline_mqxq51UnUV1qz4rgp.gif

ok, no need to be obnoxious. I burn calories when i exercise, i did a 45 min spin class which burned 1000 kCal .... I'd appreciate constructive advice please. How did YOU lose 115lbs? Watching calories, but did you work out? Thanks
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    You may want to check to make sure your HR monitor is accurate if you plan to eat back your exercise calories. 1579 calories is a lot to burn in only an hour and twenty minutes.

How does one check the accuracy of one's heart rate monitor?

I regularly burn about 1000 kCals per hour, it's not unusual for me.

Use a different monitor to double check the one you are using. I have seen HR monitors that are way off. They are more accurate than using a calorie burn calculator but they are not as accurate as most people think. You could be burning that much, I don't know, I'm just saying I would check it to make sure so you don't end up being one of those people that are on here in couple of months wondering why they are not losing weight because they are not burning as much as they think.

Good luck...

I had a feeling you'd suggest getting another hrm to compare. Good idea in principle. I'm broke, but may be I will in a few months when i have disposable cash to spend on a spare hrm. Thanks
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    you don't have to eat back your exercise calories so don't worry about that added on top

Firstly, ignore this.

Secondly, that amount sounds fine to me. You have a lot to lose (that's not a criticism, I do too!) so you will need to eat more to keep your body running.

Based on that kind of activity, your TDEE I have just worked out to be 3457 calories, so to lose 1lb a week, you'd be eating 500 calories below that. For 2lb a week, 1000 calories below that.

Don't forget that your calories will drop the more weight you lose.

Hi,

Thank you for replying. Firstly, I'm not at all offended by what you said. I know there are some sensitive folks about but i am not one of them lol. Also ipsa loquitur ..... my weight loss ticker. Lol.

So I should eat my exercise calories to keep my hefty bulk functioning? However I shouldn't get crazy about eating them all uo, particularly in the evenings?

So I shouldn't eat back my calories

Yes, you should back your exercise calories. MFP already factors in a deficit without them to enable you to lose weight, so if you then burn calories and don't eat them back, you end up with a bigger deficit. Sounds like a good thing, but that's not necessarily true.

If you are struggling, eat high calorie but low density foods, like peanut butter, nuts, oils. avocados, full fat dairy, etc.

Also, does your HRM have a chest strap?

I only use hrm with chest straps. X
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Firstly, ignore this.

Secondly, that amount sounds fine to me. You have a lot to lose (that's not a criticism, I do too!) so you will need to eat more to keep your body running.

Based on that kind of activity, your TDEE I have just worked out to be 3457 calories, so to lose 1lb a week, you'd be eating 500 calories below that. For 2lb a week, 1000 calories below that.

Hypothetical situation of course but...

So if Suzie Q who's been dieting incorrectly for 5 years and has a compromized metabolic rate due to mitochondrial inefficiency maintains her weight at 5'3" 180lbs eating 1200 calories a day, in order to lose 1lb of fat a week she needs to cut 500cals off her maintenance bringing her down to 700cals a day.....

If only the 3500 calorie = 1lb fat model ever worked.

to get a true estimation of how many calories are truly in each individual persons fat cell, it would take 20 pages of complex math equations with such a wide range of error....

Obviously, but it wasn't really necessary to point that out, was it? The OP didn't say she had been eating a VLCD for 5 years. By the fact she stated that she didn't want to not eat her exercise calories due to 'starvation mode' (a incorrect term that I hate, but I understand what she meant) I would assume that OP has probably not been on a VLCD for 5 years.

If the OP had come on here and said 'I eat 1000 calories a day and can't lose weight', I would not have told her to drop to 500. My answer would have been very different, as I'm sure you well know.

Misinformation is one of the worst things you can spread on this site where most people use it as a revolving door. The 3500cal =1lb is misinformation.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Firstly, ignore this.

Hypothetical situation of course but...

So if Suzie Q who's been dieting incorrectly for 5 years and has a compromized metabolic rate due to mitochondrial inefficiency maintains her weight at 5'3" 180lbs eating 1200 calories a day, in order to lose 1lb of fat a week she needs to cut 500cals off her maintenance bringing her down to 700cals a day.....

If only the 3500 calorie = 1lb fat model ever worked.

to get a true estimation of how many calories are truly in each individual persons fat cell, it would take 20 pages of complex math equations with such a wide range of error....

Obviously, but it wasn't really necessary to point that out, was it? The OP didn't say she had been eating a VLCD for 5 years. By the fact she stated that she didn't want to not eat her exercise calories due to 'starvation mode' (a incorrect term that I hate, but I understand what she meant) I would assume that OP has probably not been on a VLCD for 5 years.

If the OP had come on here and said 'I eat 1000 calories a day and can't lose weight', I would not have told her to drop to 500. My answer would have been very different, as I'm sure you well know.

Misinformation is one of the worst things you can spread on this site where most people use it as a revolving door. The 3500cal =1lb is misinformation.

So forgive me, but what is the crux of the advice you're giving me? Are you saying I may be doing things the wrong way by merely following my calorie allowance?

I've 160+lbs to lose, I don't want waste time getting it wrong. :-)
  • Supadoopafly
    Options

You did NOT burn 1579 calories spinning at the gym for 80 minutes.

Ditch the HRM. They are notoriously inaccurate for many people. At best, eat back 50% of the calories you gain from exercise.

Can I ask you how you seem to categorically know this and how you know or why you think the HRM is wrong?

Also ..... how does one eat back 50% of kCals if one doesn't know how much one has burned in a gym session, because one has followed your advice to ditch the HRM?

^ is not meant to sound facetious, I'm genuinely asking you those questions. You seem certain I'm incapable of burning such an amount and I'm intrigued as to why. I look forward to your response. Cheers! :-)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    subscribed for later
  • Supadoopafly
    Options

Good luck!

Cheers for your input. :-)

You're 5'7 (so a tiny bit shorter than me), but you weigh 177 lbs (80 kg) less than me ... so it's reasonable to assume I'd burn more calories over 80 mins than you would. I've been for a 2 mile run (take me an hour - much to my shame) and burned 1000+ kCals (according to my HRM).
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    subscribed for later

Thanks, look forward to your input.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    You may want to check to make sure your HR monitor is accurate if you plan to eat back your exercise calories. 1579 calories is a lot to burn in only an hour and twenty minutes.

How does one check the accuracy of one's heart rate monitor?

I regularly burn about 1000 kCals per hour, it's not unusual for me.

Use a different monitor to double check the one you are using. I have seen HR monitors that are way off. They are more accurate than using a calorie burn calculator but they are not as accurate as most people think. You could be burning that much, I don't know, I'm just saying I would check it to make sure so you don't end up being one of those people that are on here in couple of months wondering why they are not losing weight because they are not burning as much as they think.

Good luck...

Hiya again hun,

Right ... I've just remembered that my Garmin Forerunner is also a HRM - (I've only ever used it to track my distances) so I'm going to go for a run around the block tomorrow with my Decathlon HRM (I'd have done it tonight but the wind and gales have started up again ggrrrr...). Then the next day I'll do the same with my Garmin and I will then post the results here :-) :smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I have women who lift 3x a week eating 2300cals a day to lose fat.
    It depends on how metabolically flexible you are.

Heres my post on how to figure this out:
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet<---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<

^^^This.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet<---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<

^^^This.

Hi, you've done well! 37lbs lost!! Do you follow this approach? I must confess I read it and followed the link but was in too much of a rush to digest it (no pun intended!). I'll take a proper look tomorrow.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You did NOT burn 1579 calories spinning at the gym for 80 minutes.

Ditch the HRM. They are notoriously inaccurate for many people. At best, eat back 50% of the calories you gain from exercise.

Can I ask you how you seem to categorically know this and how you know or why you think the HRM is wrong?

Also ..... how does one eat back 50% of kCals if one doesn't know how much one has burned in a gym session, because one has followed your advice to ditch the HRM?

^ is not meant to sound facetious, I'm genuinely asking you those questions. You seem certain I'm incapable of burning such an amount and I'm intrigued as to why. I look forward to your response. Cheers! :-)

Because consuming and delivering that much oxygen in that amount of time is incredibly difficult, and someone untrained like yourself really isn't capable of it.

Anyway, my advice is to ditch the HRM. However, if you do continue to use the HRM I would knock a substantial portion of the extra calories off.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Because consuming and delivering that much oxygen in that amount of time is incredibly difficult, and someone untrained like yourself really isn't capable of it.

Anyway, my advice is to ditch the HRM. However, if you do continue to use the HRM I would knock a substantial portion of the extra calories off.

Cheers so much for getting back to me ... I was worried you'd think I was being defensive.

I have more questions though .. what do you mean by "untrained", in the context of "someone untrained like yourself "?

I'm wondering what untrained means and how you'd know I wasn't? is it my weight?

Oh and how would I measure kCals burned if I don't use a HRM? How do you do it?

Cheers again!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Cheers so much for getting back to me ... I was worried you'd think I was being defensive.

I have more questions though .. what do you mean by "untrained", in the context of "someone untrained like yourself "?

I'm wondering what untrained means and how you'd know I wasn't? is it my weight?

Cheers again!

Well, I guess it's an assumption, but in general women who are 300+ pounds don't have a highly tuned cardiopulmonary system capable of delivering athlete-like quantities of oxygen to the body tissues. The heart is a muscle just like anything else. It gets better at delivering blood the more it's trained. Lance Armstrong can burn the same number of calories I can on a bike ride but with half the heartbeats because his heart, lungs, and blood vessels are just much stronger and more efficient than mine.

Personally, I use a Fitbit which estimates pretty well for step-based activities. Other things, such as cycling, I use Endomondo or just guesstimate. For weight lifting I add a small amount, like 60-100 per hour.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    With 160+lbs to lose you still have some wiggle room.
    My biggest advice is to first find true TDEE for your height and weight.
    While this is a simple math equation, it's a guesstimate.
    So lets say you get base TDEE at 2400cals for moderate activity.

If you've been eating 1800/day, thats not too far off and certainly won't put you into a category of LCD or VLCD.
    Reverse diet up to your calculated TDEE by slowly adding in 20-50cals per day of quality protein.
    When you hit that TDEE number and maintain weight for about a month, you can safely say that you have an apps target for TDEE.

Then you start applying basic fat loss principals to lose the fat efficiently while maintaining as much lean muscle as possible.

General recommendations:
    Lift weights 2-4x a week with varying rep ranges.
    Hiit cardio or General preparedness work for an hour a week.
    Eat TDEE on exercise days and -10 to -30% TDEE on rest days OR HIIT/GP days.

Lifestyle recommendations:
    Sleep 8+ hours a night.
    If you live north of Atlanta or Lisbon (for our UK friends), monitor closely your vitamin D levels.
    Get 1 gram of DHA and appx 600mg of EPA a day.

Most people who come to MFP feel that they have all this motivation to do everything all at once.
    Dont! Make the small changes 1 day or week at a time!
    In other words, eat the elephant like everyone else!
    I small bite at a time.

Why add protein only?
    It's the easiest and best macronutrient to add!
    A recent paper from Dr Brad Shoenfeld shows that 1.7g/kg LBM yielded the best fat loss with higher muscle sparing.

PM and i'll help you in any way I can.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

^^^This.

Hi, you've done well! 37lbs lost!! Do you follow this approach? I must confess I read it and followed the link but was in too much of a rush to digest it (no pun intended!). I'll take a proper look tomorrow.

Yes, I do follow this approach. I have 2 friends who have and they've lost 150 & 100 lbs...

Helloitsdan knows of what he speaks...He's given good info.

ETA: Thank you. I also eat what I want, drink what I want. I believe it's about moderation NOT deprivation. No bad food just bad eating habits.

Remember you CAN do this. It won't be easy, it won't be overnight, but it WILL be worth it.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options

^^^This.

Yes, I do follow this approach. I have 2 friends who have and they've lost 150 & 100 lbs...

Helloitsdan knows of what he speaks...He's given good info.

ETA: Thank you. I also eat what I want, drink what I want. I believe it's about moderation NOT deprivation. No bad food just bad eating habits.

Remember you CAN do this. It won't be easy, it won't be overnight, but it WILL be worth it.

Thank you!

I kmow this may sound rather terrible and lazy of me, but I must admit I am struggling to get past first base mentally right now. I shall keep plugged in to this forum as I do need support. X