Potassium? Seriously?

Options

Replies

• fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

NO stay away from them. there high in carbs and calories and a starch veggie. 1 cucumber can have as much as 450mg of potassium. and only 45 calories.

But they're yummy! They do have a load of calories. But I work potatoes into my diet. I likes them.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

NO stay away from them. there high in carbs and calories and a starch veggie. 1 cucumber can have as much as 450mg of potassium. and only 45 calories.

But they're yummy! They do have a load of calories. But I work potatoes into my diet. I likes them.

o trust me i miss my mashed potatooes but once i learned that 1 cup of them is like 600 calories i knew they had to go lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're probably getting more than you think you are, particularly if you're eating your veg and fruit. It isn't required to be on food labels, so many things that have potassium don't show as such in the database.

If you're really worried about it just google high potassium foods...there are many that are far better sources than a banana. Potatoes are one of my favorite...148 grams of red potatoes has over 600 Mg of potassium and only 110 calories...and that's plenty of potato.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

o trust me i miss my mashed potatooes but once i learned that 1 cup of them is like 600 calories i knew they had to go lol

148 grams of potatoes is quite a helping and only 110 calories or so. You're probably selecting some random mashed potatoes some user put into MFP and they probably had it laden down with butter and cream. I eat potatoes 3-4 times per week and I can assure you that if they were 600 calories per serving I wouldn't be where I am right now.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You probably DO meet it. Potassium is pretty readily/commonly available in a lot of foods, but it is NOT required to be listed on nutritional information panels on food packaging.

Probably 30-70% of your potassium intake just isn't accounted for.

Don't worry about it unless you've had bloodwork that indicates a potassium deficiency.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

And they are an excellent source of potassium, which matters more than the carbs or calories for people who really need the potassium. And for really not that many calories for how filling they are. And who could eat a whole cucumber? I couldn't . Blech.

Orange juice is also a great source of potassium.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

If it fits into your calories and macros, then why? They really are a good source of potassium.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Don't worry about it unless you've had bloodwork that indicates a potassium deficiency.

So many experts.

Potassium is helpful for battling high blood pressure as well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

What are you putting in your mashed potatoes that makes them 600 calories? I use instant, 2% milk, and margarine and 1 serving (1/2 cup) is 200 calories.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options

You must be loading those potatoes up to get that many calories. lol I'd rather have my potatoes baked anyway, that crispy skin is heaven, and there's good stuff in the skins too.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

:huh: :huh:

Ok then....
  • DannPM31
    Options
    I hit about double mine at roughly 10k a day :-)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

yeah. Because that's the only way you can eat potatoes, right?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    You're probably getting more than you think you are, particularly if you're eating your veg and fruit. It isn't required to be on food labels, so many things that have potassium don't show as such in the database.

If you're really worried about it just google high potassium foods...there are many that are far better sources than a banana. Potatoes are one of my favorite...148 grams of red potatoes has over 600 Mg of potassium and only 110 calories...and that's plenty of potato.
    thanks to you both for the info:drinker: and quoting the person earlier that shared the link.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Bananas.

tumblr_mhtqinIsb91r925vdo1_500.gif

My obsession over Greg is quite Healthy. I'd spend HOURS watching his videos.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Potatoes

15br86.png

Sooo... one serving here is 3/4 cup of mashed potatoes.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Guano. . very high in potassium. . also an essential ingredient of gunpowder.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Dont rely on the database to measure your potassium intake accurately.

SO rely on....?....?....?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Dont rely on the database to measure your potassium intake accurately.

SO rely on....?....?....?

Most foods don't require the potassium to be entered. If you are that concerned, you can focus on eating foods you make that have the potassium information already entered, buying foods with the potassium provided on the food label, or get a blood test done from your doctor to determine if you are deficient.