WHO: Governments should regulate fast food to slow obesity

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What do you think was the impetus for the "preventative education?" If the tobacco industry wasn't regulated then they'd still be out there today talking about T-Zones and how their products are "safe" and the easily led still wouldn't know any better. It takes the power of big government to fight corrupt industry.

You're wasting your effort. WendyTerry420 is basically against government in general.

I'm all in favor of education. Knowledge is power. Education can be done without regulatory bodies sucking our public coffers dry.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm all in favor of education. Knowledge is power. Education can be done without regulatory bodies sucking our public coffers dry.

We do need regulation in education, otherwise you have idiots trying to foist off creationism as legitimate.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

We do need regulation in education, otherwise you have idiots trying to foist off creationism as legitimate.

Fo Sho.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I really don't see how the fast food industry is deceptive or insidious in this era. Every ingredient, every calorie, every macro is made available for the consumer to review at corporate restaurants, whether online or at the restaurant itself.

40 years ago, no one was asking about the ingredients in their fast food, and yet people weren’t nearly as obese. The issue isn’t necessarily food content, it is food portions. Controlling portions is the consumer’s responsibility, not the restaurant industry’s, and certainly not the government’s.

Don’t be so quick to think the government has the answer to every problem in society. This isn’t second hand smoke, asbestos, lead paint, etc., some toxin that is threatening public health. This is food that many people are eating in dangerous quantities. I think it is best controlled by the healthcare industry, in imposing higher insurance rates on people that suffer health issues that are lifestyle related.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh:

Wow!

ETA: Statists are so paranoid! Yeah cuz religious folks are the ones causing obesity. Yeah, people are so stupid that people need to govern them. :laugh: :laugh:
  • dbmata
    Options
    Dear lord, you just went full retard. Don't go full retard.

Or are you a creationist?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    just make the mandatory health insurance so expensive for obese people that they cant afford to eat. as they lose weight, it gets cheaper. self solving problem.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Wow!

ETA: Statists are so paranoid! Yeah cuz religious folks are the ones causing obesity. Yeah, people are so stupid that people need to govern them. :laugh: :laugh:

When did anyone try to connect religious zealots with obesity?
  • dbmata
    Options
    No one did, it was just a derpy misdirection tactic for being called on their calls to de-regulate everything. Since that works as well as prohibition does.
  • beallh
    beallh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Let the sheep follow themselves to oblivion.
    Let the gluttonous eat themselves to an early grave.
    Let the humorless butthurt themselves to unhappiness.
    That's called natural selection, natural consequences.
    And we are running out of space/water/clean air/resources/time...
    F'em. i will advocate no abdication of personal responsibility. thinking and choosing are the most important personal responsibilities we have.

Yes, please teach your children to think and learn. We are pushing too much "act and do".
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Wow!

When did anyone try to connect religious zealots with obesity?

No one talked about "zealots" at all. I said "folks." :laugh:

Why would anyone bring religion into this discussion at all? This discussion is who controls what we eat, either we control our own bodies or the Master Government controls out bodies. That has nothing to do with religion. So yeah, derpy connection is derpy, which is why I was cracking up laughing at the nonsense.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Let the sheep follow themselves to oblivion.
    Let the gluttonous eat themselves to an early grave.
    Let the humorless butthurt themselves to unhappiness.
    That's called natural selection, natural consequences.
    And we are running out of space/water/clean air/resources/time...
    F'em. i will advocate no abdication of personal responsibility. thinking and choosing are the most important personal responsibilities we have.

Yes, please teach your children to think and learn. We are pushing too much "act and do".

Yep!

Thinking and learning > fear-mongering and control
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    No one did, it was just a derpy misdirection tactic for being called on their calls to de-regulate everything. Since that works as well as prohibition does.

LOL @ "De-regulate"

Statists, whether progressive or conservative, hate it when they can't control others. "De-regulate" from the mouth of a progressive-type is just as nonsensical as "libertine" from the mouth of a conservative. The only difference between the prohibitionist and the regulator is what part of my life they seek to control.

Enough is enough! I own me!
  • first01
    Options
    I think people need to just be more accountable and stop making excuses.

^^^This. People need to stop looking to the government to make their choices for them. It has gotten out of control on so many levels. Use your head people..... start thinking for yourself.
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I do have a problem with the quantity that restaurants are giving. Just an example, the medium soda currently at McDonalds was a large soda 20 years ago. There was no extra large.

But people need to be held accountable for there own actions. We do not need government in our lives any more than they are now!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do have a problem with the quantity that restaurants are giving. Just an example, the medium soda currently at McDonalds was a large soda 20 years ago. There was no extra large.

But people need to be held accountable for there own actions. We do not need government in our lives any more than they are now!

I don't remember a "large" being 20 ounces at McD's in 1994. Maybe I'm mistaken, as I was 13 then.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I don't remember a "large" being 20 ounces at McD's in 1994. Maybe I'm mistaken, as I was 13 then.

I actually do remember that. The current small was the same size as a medium back then. And as the other poster said, the current medium was a large back then. I used to always order a medium, but now I always order a small. I asked a cashier a long time ago, "What happened to the sizes?" and the poor thing was dumbfounded. Sonic changed their sizes close to the same time.

ETA: I'm not sure if it was '94 though because it seems like it was before I got married, like back in high school, so I'm thinking late 80s. (Getting old sucks as the years seem to blend together. lol)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I worked at McD's in 1988, and we had small (12 oz), med (16 oz) and large (20 oz). By the early 90s they had introduced Super Sizing and the Extra Large was the mammoth-sized cup that came with the jumbo sized box of fries. So, yeah, 20 years ago, there was an extra large soda at McD's. After Super-Size Me came out, they did away with the Super Size meals because of all the negative hype.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Fast food doesn't hold a monopoly on high calorie, unhealthy foods anyway. Most any restaurant is going to have similar offerings in that regard, and people can and will make their own junk food.

^this

I've eaten a lot of calories in some really nice restaurants the past week.

Isn't is possible that an obese population eats more often, so that leads to more "fast food transactions"? Perhaps they have the causation backwards from their observed correlation?
  • MatthewsModernLife
    Options
    I'm for policies that work and against those that don't work.

The only legitimate reason to be against these regulations is if they do not work.