WHO: Governments should regulate fast food to slow obesity

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
So here is an interesting article.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/2/who-tighter-economicregulationneededtoreverseobesityepidemic.html
"Unless governments take steps to regulate their economies, the invisible hand of the market will continue to promote obesity worldwide with disastrous consequences for future public health and economic productivity," said Roberto De Vogli of the University of California, Davis, who led the study.
The researchers compared the number of fast food transactions with body mass index (BMI) in 25 high-income countries between 1999 and 2008.

They found that, as the average number of annual fast food transactions increased from 26.61 to 32.76 per person, average BMI increased from 25.8 to 26.4.

Thoughts??

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/2/who-tighter-economicregulationneededtoreverseobesityepidemic.html
    "Unless governments take steps to regulate their economies, the invisible hand of the market will continue to promote obesity worldwide with disastrous consequences for future public health and economic productivity," said Roberto De Vogli of the University of California, Davis, who led the study.

Thoughts??

Yes that's exactly what we need, more government intervention. Hey how'd the centrally planned green energy pushg go in europe?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

1. These threads do not end well.
    2. Calorie surplus=weight gain (and that can happen with all types of foods)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    over consumption of calories is what causes obesity…so if governments want to ban something, start there, and good luck..

Like ACG said, just what we need more government/nanny state intervention into our lives trying to tell us that they know better then the res of us….give me a break..

how is that working out with the healthcare law? Those idiots can't even run a website…
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think governments should use education, not regulation, to battle obesity.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think people need to just be more accountable and stop making excuses.
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    What happened to individual responsibility and self control?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Thoughts??

Typical bureaucratic nonsense.

Businesses supply what people want. People demand fast food.

You can't regulate that away.
  • kfuog
    kfuog Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think governments should use education, not regulation, to battle obesity.

This. Although research has shown that publishing the calories of each dish in fast food and restaurant menus has not changed what people order. Baffles me, as it totally changed what I order! I guess even armed with information, people will only change their behavior when they are willing to do so.
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    Fast food doesn't hold a monopoly on high calorie, unhealthy foods anyway. Most any restaurant is going to have similar offerings in that regard, and people can and will make their own junk food.
  • kfuog
    kfuog Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Very true, but see my post above.

The problem is that all of society bears the cost and burden of people who refuse to take care of their health. I think that's important--I think we should all take care of each other regardless of whether any given individual is good at being responsible for his or her health. I look at my friends and family and there are so many people I love who do not take care of their health, and many of them it is obesity that is one of the things that consistently plagues them. Yes, I feel they should be accountable and stop making excuses. But I also want the healthcare network to be there to support them, regardless of the choices they make.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. There is a reason there is an obesity epidemic ... people just want crap food. Where there is the demand .. there will be the supply.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

Very true, but see my post above.

The problem is that all of society bears the cost and burden of people who refuse to take care of their health. I think that's important--I think we should all take care of each other regardless of whether any given individual is good at being responsible for his or her health. I look at my friends and family and there are so many people I love who do not take care of their health, and many of them it is obesity that is one of the things that consistently plagues them. Yes, I feel they should be accountable and stop making excuses. But I also want the healthcare network to be there to support them, regardless of the choices they make.

I couldn't agree more, I am lucky enough that my Doctor and Health Insurance carrier all agreed I needed help when I was ready for it. Now that I have taken a new lease on life I try to offer guidance and help to whoever is ready to take the plunge and give it 100%. People have to be ready to change for themselves, learn about better choices and consistently make them. I wish there was more balance in the media, offset all the commercials about (pick your fast food) with commercials about running marathons, or century rides, spartan races, proving to yourself that you are worth the time and effort to make changes. But before all of that comes self control and mustering up the will power to change.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb. Call me crazy. I could probably get fat eating too many bananas, avacados, potatoes, salad, nuts. .. the same as what fast food could do. You can lead a horse to water. .. but he could also bypass it and eat all the things.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Misleading headline, as this isn't a WHO policy statement. It's a proposed possible part of a solution to obesity postulated by a researcher in the discussion section of a scientific research article published in a WHO journal.

It's like the difference between saying "US Federal Government Wants to Ban Football" and an article about brain injuries having the line "to eliminate football-related brain injuries, football may have to be eliminated entirely" in the discussion portion of an article published in a CDC journal.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I think they should just have narrower doors on the entrance to fast food joints. Or like, Y-shaped ones, so bodybuilders can get in but you keep the fatties out.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

The researchers compared the number of fast food transactions with body mass index (BMI) in 25 high-income countries between 1999 and 2008.

They found that, as the average number of annual fast food transactions increased from 26.61 to 32.76 per person, average BMI increased from 25.8 to 26.4.

Thoughts??

Correlation does not mean causation. Consuming too many calories causes obesity not fast food.

There are tons of people on MFP and elsewhere who eat fast food all the time are extremely healthy and fit. In this group are many professional athletes. Fast Food is not the cause of obesity.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Meh, wth...I like Taco Bell anyway...
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

1. These threads do not end well.
    2. Calorie surplus=weight gain (and that can happen with all types of foods)

^^THIS. THIS. THIS!

YOU control what goes in your mouth. Stop looking to the government to do what you should be doing for yourself.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else see that South Park episode about KFC chicken and medical marijuana? Basically, it's Scarface with Cartman acting the part of Al Pacino and KFC replacing cocaine. This is a result of government mandates restricting locations on KFC to specifically exclude low-income areas--since KFC promotes obesity in low-income earners... uh, obviously. :tongue:

I think the last thing we really need is moar government regulation. We could probably use a little more personal responsibility.

tumblr_lllvrn3G6n1qdy3rv.gif
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Someone should tell WHO that fast food doesn't cause obesity.