4 days split program - One or two big muscles per session?

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do a four day upper/lower split..

so it goes day 1 - upper bench press, dumbbell overhead press, low row, weighted chin-ups, lat pulldown
    day 2 lower - barbell squat, sumo DL, dumbbell lunge, calf raises
    day three upper - dumbbell incline press, weighted pull up, barbell overhead press, iso lateral row, dumbbell lateral raise
    day four lower - deadlift, front squat, leg curl, calfs
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    What do you do for forearms, traps, calves, and possibly neck if you have proportion problems. Lower back tends to be a neglected bodypart unless you do RDL's or deadlifts.

Heavy conventional deadlifts can be problematic in high volume bodybuilding programs where you work all bodyparts twice weekly I find. The exercise is extremely taxing on your body and CNS and can interfere with the overall program. Stiff legged (with straight legs) and RDL's I find are good subs.

I did PHAT for two months at the end of my bulk and saw great results, especially my legs. PHAT is interesting because for some exercises you only do two sets. Four exercises for three sets twice weekly could potentially burn you out pretty quickly - it is a lot of volume.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I do a four day upper/lower split..

so it goes day 1 - upper bench press, dumbbell overhead press, low row, weighted chin-ups, lat pulldown
    day 2 lower - barbell squat, sumo DL, dumbbell lunge, calf raises
    day three upper - dumbbell incline press, weighted pull up, barbell overhead press, iso lateral row, dumbbell lateral raise
    day four lower - deadlift, front squat, leg curl, calfs

I do something not a million miles from this myself:

Day 1: Bench, BOR, Military Press, Pull Ups
    Day 2: Squats, RDL, Bulgarians, Calves

Day 3: Push Press, Pendlay Rows, Dips, Chins
    Day 4: P. Clean, Deadlift, Front Squat, Calves

Tend to do lower reps/more sets for the first two exercises of the day, more reps/less sets for the second two of the day. Do rep progression every week, then at the end of the cycle drop back down on the reps and up the weights.

ETA: I am actually cutting at the mo, but I see no reason that this wouldn't work for bulking too....
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Wiltord,
    Whatever program you decide on, stick with it for at least 6 months. That way you can get an idea if it's working or not and your able to progress. Don't keep switching routines just because some big guy in the gym is doing it or you read it about it online.