2014 is the year! Ideal Protein ideas and support?

Options

Replies

• Kdaley0214
    Options
    I haven't cheated and I'm at week 6; Phase 1 and have only lost 12 pounds and 13 inches. The first 3 weeks I was sweating after I ate there food packets. Still not enjoying their food but not sweating anymore and NOT losing weight. Thyroid was ok. Hang in there
  • Erikarod78
    Options
    Today is day one for me on the IP program! I've done the HCG diet before and this is so much better so far! I have 18lbs to lose so I hope they go by fast! My biggest fear is giving in and having a cocktail at the various family events this summer! I do have a question for anyone that can answer. Eggs and chicken are in the "allowed" protein list, can I combine the two as long as I stay within the allowed amount? Also, I was told by my coach that I can switch the dinner to lunch portions, I don't like eating a big dinner but I do like a big lunch. I'm curious to see if that matters.
  • Erikarod78
    Options
    @ttolnay, What do you mean by macros?
  • tjdragon
    tjdragon Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello. Just started two days ago and so far liking it.
    Have been pretty boring and conservative with the packets.
    Just been adding water and shaking.
    Nothing exciting but noticing it satisfies me.
    I do get these dips in energy so try to sip throughout the day.
    Are the Walden Farms products acceptable for phase 1?

I'm 53, 182 lbs. Goal is 135.
    I realize it will probably be a slower weight loss since I'm older.
    Would welcome any other 50+ with advice and support.

Thank you.
  • bobbiann2
    bobbiann2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am no expert but the less weight you have to lose, the longer it may take. I am losing slowly, too (about 2 lbs per week) but I am trying to look at the bright side--the longer it takes, the longer I will keep it off by developing much better habits over time. I don't have a "sales-y coach," thank goodness and was encouraged to try the diet by a friend for whom it worked well. I kept the weight off for a long time the first time I did it, but then started some bad habits again. This time, I plan to keep it off and really change how I eat during the maintenance phase. That is another thing--DO ALL 4 phases! The first time I did it, I got tired and jumped off after Phase 2--bad idea. The last two phases are designed to help you ease into your regular eating program.

I see that on this board people post that it's difficult to socialize on this diet. When I am invited to a party, I bring flavored seltzer water and drink from a wine glass. If there is an option to bring a dish, I bring something that I CAN eat--e.g. cut up peppers and veggies with Walden Farms dressing as a dip.

My one cheat if I get REALLY desperate (I have only done it twice in 7 weeks) is drinking a Michelob Ultra (2.6 net carbs). Don't tell my coach that one! ;-)
  • iamjokeyjen
    Options
    I am also glad I found this board! I have an appointment with my doctor next week to see if this IP diet is for me! I am 5'10 and weigh almost 290lbs. Yes, I am fat! My liver is fatty and my back, knees and hips have been bothering me. I need to lose weight fast. I am really looking forward to starting this diet after reading all of the inspirational stories on this board. :happy:
  • asperez
    asperez Posts: 3
    Options
    So glad I found this! I've been researching Ideal Protein all evening. I hurt my foot, so I can't workout for a few weeks. I'd already lost 15 lbs & I'm worried about messing it all up. I really think this could help until my foot is better & I can workout again.
  • gayanie2014
    Options
    Are you eating restricted foods? Try non-restricted foods only for a week-that has really helped me get over plateaus.
  • gayanie2014
    Options
    I started in June of this year-no alcohol is a struggle! I have club soda and lime when I'm with my friends in a social setting so I don't feel left out :)
  • kbdesoto
    kbdesoto Posts: 2
    Options
    About to finish my fourth week of ideal protein. So far, it's been great. I feel so much better. I have to say it's tough at first and some days are still tougher than others. So far, I've lost 12.4 pounds. 7 lbs the first week, 5.2 the second week and only .2 the third week. Hoping to see some more numbers tomorrow when I go weigh.
  • trablair
    trablair Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm on day 1! Terrified! I left the office in tears as it seems so drastic, but I've got 40 pounds to lose and would love virtual support with others doing IP
  • kbdesoto
    kbdesoto Posts: 2
    Options
    It does get better. Be sure and have plenty of water and all your vegetables!!
  • trablair
    trablair Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks!! I hate change and restrictions so this is tough, but I have no choice anymore. exercise and "balanced diet" have not worked for me at all and I'm becoming pre-diabetic.
  • asperez
    asperez Posts: 3
    Options
    I decided to do this! I have my appointment tomorrow. I can't wait to get started. I'm looking forward to seeing great results.
  • Ready2Lose4Life
    Options
    Welcome to the 50's! I, too, just started the IP diet last Saturday. My first weigh-in is tomorrow. I'm really struggling because I don't like a wide variety of vegetables and I certainly don't know how to cook most of the veggies on the list. I'm hoping to not get frustrated by a slow weight loss and bored with the food choices.
    This first week has been a challenge to plan my vegetables. Initially, I was REALLY hungry, but that's getting better. I still have cravings for sweets and salty.
    Any suggestions on how to get my veggies in would be appreciated. (Can you make some taste like dove chocolate) :happy:
    Best of luck to everyone trying to make a healthy change in their lives!
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat a high protein low carb/sugar diet and have lost 54 lbs. How does this differ from an ordinary high protein diet differ? I'm not familiar with IP.
  • bdunham1962
    bdunham1962 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 67 pounds in 26 weeks on Ideal Protein. Starting my 5th week of phase 4. Closer to a Paleo diet now for me.
  • bdunham1962
    bdunham1962 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    IP is low carb, low fat protein, while losing. Fats get added back once you have lost the weight.

Here is the Phase one list of foods. http://diettalktoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/PHASE-ONE-IDEAL-PROTEIN5.pdf
  • daviese89
    Options
    I did IP for a long time - and lost quite a bit of weight. I went off of plan for a cruise, never phased out, and ate my way back into all my bad habits. Now I'm heavier than before and trying to get the motivation to start again. I can't seem to find it! I keep thinking that no matter what, I'm just going to end up in this situation, fat & unhappy. It feels SO restricted. Worst part is, I did it so well the first time and I KNOW that I can do it again.... but I just haven't gotten the hang of it.

I've been ordering the Proti Fit foods because they're much easier on my budget, but I'm wondering if I need to go back to the full IP only foods. Motivation and support would be awesome.

I guess day 1 will have to wait until tomorrow since I have already eaten my breakfast (which included a proti fit shake, 1 hard boiled egg and 1 egg white, 1 tbsp of peanut butter on a 12 grain slice of toast with 1/2 of a banana on top). I don't know if I was truly hungry after the proti fit shake - but I definitely ate like I was. I think for me it's going to be the battle of "Mind of Matter."

Also -- any cost saving advice on this diet?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My mother used IP for a while, went through a two month supply. She ended up stopping using it because the progress she saw was no different from what she saw when using other brands of weight loss shake, such as slim-fast or GNC Total Lean. Eventually she stopped with shakes completely and gained all the weight back and then some.