Macros Vs hitting calorie count

I did a 10 mile run today and have ~1600 calories to eat back to, at least maintain for today. I'm trying to add muscle weight but trying to avoid eating less healthy/high calorie foods to hit those numbers (like pizza and other not so good for you items).

In my attempt to hit this next 1600 I'd love some more PB, cheese, and nuts but I keep straying away to try to hit my 40p/30c/30f macros.

At this point what's more important: hitting my calorie goals or trying to balance my macros?

Replies

• knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    well if you're hitting your macros then you should be hitting your calories as well.. so hit those macros! if you're gaining muscle, then definitely get a good amount of carbs as well as protein.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    They are both important. Calories will be more important assuming we're not talking about extreme circumstances.

(There is nothing inherently fattening or bad about pizza).
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    With these last few hours today I'm using trial/error by adding things into my diary to hit my 40/30/30. I'd live to just have alllllll the peanut butter but that'd throw my fats out of whack.
  • RoyalMoose11
    Touché. Though I try to only eat whole wheat. Maybe that's where I'm hung up.

They are both important. Calories will be more important assuming we're not talking about extreme circumstances.

(There is nothing inherently fattening or bad about pizza).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I think that portioning your macros according to static ratios is stupid. If I sit on my butt all day and eat about 2000 calories to maintain, I aim for about 150 grams of protein. That's about 30% of calories.

If I play 4 hours of tennis and need to eat 3200 calories to maintain, I don't suddenly need 240 grams of protein. I'll keep it at about 150 grams and try to get most of the remainder from carbs.

Calorie count is the most important thing, but macro targets are very important as well. Of course your macro targets need to be sensible and defensible. 40% of calories from protein doesn't make sense if you're, say, maintaining weight while exercising vigorously.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    If you are following the zone diet macro count, I would suggest buying the books to find out his suggested zone snacks that fit 40/30/30 ;)
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    It's the same thing. If you hit macros, you will hit calories. It's personaly preference which one you think is easier/works better. I'm not as strict as some people, so I prefer to count calories and then check macros partway through the day to make sure they're within a proper range.

I feel good with about 25-35% protein a day. I need a lot of carbs most days. But if protein slips too low for too many days in a row, I get irritable. You should never go under 15% protein according to a peer-reviewed journal article I read.
  • RoyalMoose11
    my original question was more focusing on how much should I worry about getting close to macros rather than hitting them and getting to my total calories. For example- should I just eat away at my last 1,000 calories or should I really try to focus on eating 1,000 that for my goals. I do get that hitting my macros will in turn lead to hitting my goals.

I think I'm still also struggling with trying to eat more after losing weight and over thinking things. Like using macros as an "ok" to eat more. Still trying to get over that mental hurdle 100 pounds later.
  • jonnythan
    Eat those 1000 calories, but do so while hitting reasonable macro targets.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    trying to avoid eating less healthy/high calorie foods to hit those numbers (like pizza and other not so good for you items).

High calorie foods like pizza are unhealthy because most people are fat. High calorie foods tend to make them fatter, which makes them less healthy.

High calorie foods ARE health food for underweight people.

When you are in control of your body fat and your food intake, coupling healthiness to calorie density is meaningless.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    In my attempt to hit this next 1600 I'd love some more PB, cheese, and nuts but I keep straying away to try to hit my 40p/30c/30f macros.

At this point what's more important: hitting my calorie goals or trying to balance my macros?

I use 40/30/30 only for my non-exercise calories. Once those are met, I know I've taken in enough fat and protein, so my exercise calories can be pretty much whatever I want them to be.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    What does 40% bring your protein grams in at? I ask as 30% carbs seems on the low side - if you swapped them round you could have that pizza:)

Try to shoot for 1 - 1.5g protein per lb LBM and 0.35g fat per lb body weight - this comes out at very close to 40 carbs 30 protein and 30 fat for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    as long as you've hit your protein goal, i wouldnt worry too much about going over on anything else.

are you training for something doing long runs? you may struggle to gain by doing so much cardio, especially if you struggle to eat back all your cals.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    I did a 10 mile run today and have ~1600 calories to eat back to, at least maintain for today. I'm trying to add muscle weight

Trying to add muscle weight and running 10k is a bit of an oxymoron!
  • RoyalMoose11
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm at 217lbs now so my macros have me at 40% protein (287 grams/day). I have a hard time estimating body fat/lean mass because of the weight loss.

Solid point on the pizza- it's not like I'm eating high calorie all day then adding high calorie pizza on top of it. Nice perspective for the mental hurdle.

I've got a half marathon on 2/23. I've modified my running schedule to only run three days a week now. After my race I'm going to sit down and really think about my next routine and plan out for the next chapter.
  • jonnythan
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm at 217lbs now so my macros have me at 40% protein (287 grams/day). I have a hard time estimating body fat/lean mass because of the weight loss.

Solid point on the pizza- it's not like I'm eating high calorie all day then adding high calorie pizza on top of it. Nice perspective for the mental hurdle.

I've got a half marathon on 2/23. I've modified my running schedule to only run three days a week now. After my race I'm going to sit down and really think about my next routine and plan out for the next chapter.

Holy cow that's a lot of protein to use as a baseline. If you're eating that much protein, you certainly don't need to eat even more than that if you burn a bunch of calories exercising.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I like eating protein, myself... :smile: :smile: :laugh: :laugh:
    So I have a lot compared to my weight.

But hitting macros, doesn't mean you hit calorie intake as well....

Your macro intake should be
    Fat 0.4 gr / lb of body weight -- minimum
    Protein if you are working out and lifting weight, then you can do 0.8 - 1.0 gr / lb of body weight.......
    If not, then 0.6 gr would prolly work fine....the RDI is something like 60 - 90 gr.

Carbs can be what ever you want to make up the remainder of your calories.
  • RoyalMoose11
    My lifting routine is 3 days a week doing the stronglifts routine. On other days I'm usually running or playing a sport. Switching things around to go higher carb may be better for energy especially in my last two weeks before my 13.1.

Edit: Changing to 40C/30/30 puts my protein at 215 which is right about where I'd want that to be based on the above math. Must be a sign.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I did a 10 mile run today and have ~1600 calories to eat back to, at least maintain for today. I'm trying to add muscle weight

Trying to add muscle weight and running 10k is a bit of an oxymoron!

I was thinking the same thing….
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    In the weekly nutrition graph it will show your percents compared to your actual, how far off can those be and still say I hit my macros? Would plus or minus three percent be close enough?