Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Macros Vs hitting calorie count

Replies

• burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    I agree that its kind of pointless to try to meet a certain ratio. As long as you hit minimums on protein and fats, you can do what you want with the balance of your calories. The minimum recommendations vary, but I shoot for 1g Protein / lb and about 0.5g Fat/lb. Then I fill the rest with carbs or more protein.....or peanut butter (my fave!!). :-)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    I'm in the same position you are a lot of the time, granted because I work two jobs, one being manual labor after working out. What I do is try to plan my three main meal and snacks to fit my macros or close to them (40/30/30) and then make up the additional calories with mostly carbs to refuel my body and some protein (maybe a shake for recovery). Since I try to eat more complex carbs during the daytime I will eat higher calorie simple carbs at night to make up the calories quickly but I'm also trying to watch sodium (b.p. reasons) so I'll substitute almond butter for peanut butter, etc. At the same time, I drink enough water that I will have the occasional pizza.
  • Hey, thanks for your question and the responses.. I just had a bit of an AHA moment. I set up my Macros to 40/30/30 and my baseline calorie intake is 1300. (I have a Fitbit and I eat the calories back of whatever extra I burn)

I set my macros that way because they were the closest to the calculations I did (.8g per lean body mass protein etc.) and just the most realistic. But there is a pie chart on my phone that I look at often, and I am constantly trying to stay in that 40/40/20 zone as I burn more calories and eat them back.

So, once I eat the reccomended grams of protien, do I still need to keep upping my protien as I workout so that I'm still hitting 40/40/20?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    well if you're hitting your macros then you should be hitting your calories as well.. so hit those macros! if you're gaining muscle, then definitely get a good amount of carbs as well as protein.

I've heard this before, BUT that's not necessarily true. I was trying to hit my macros on 1350 calories/day and felt like I was ONLY consuming meat and Greek yogurt. It was nauseating. I found that I had to eat only chicken and fish, if I wanted to add fruit to my diet. You can DEFINITELY go over your calories trying to hit your macros if you eat too much red meat, cheese, bread, and fruit.

Maybe, it's more accurate to say that "if you're hitting your macros [using lean meats, beans, and high protein dairy], then you're hitting your calories"?

Maybe, I was doing it "wrong," but IIFYM sucks on 1350 calories/day...because I felt like "it" almost never fits your macros, unless it's meat. Lol!
  • well if you're hitting your macros then you should be hitting your calories as well.. so hit those macros! if you're gaining muscle, then definitely get a good amount of carbs as well as protein.

I've heard this before, BUT that's not necessarily true. I was trying to hit my macros on 1350 calories/day and felt like I was ONLY consuming meat and Greek yogurt. It was nauseating. I found that I had to eat only chicken and fish, if I wanted to add fruit to my diet. You can DEFINITELY go over your calories trying to hit your macros if you eat too much red meat, cheese, bread, and fruit.

Maybe, it's more accurate to say that "if you're hitting your macros [using lean meats, beans, and high protein dairy], then you're hitting your calories"?

Maybe, I was doing it "wrong," but IIFYM sucks on 1350 calories/day...because I felt like "it" almost never fits your macros, unless it's meat. Lol!

This is what I feel like now! Seriously about to eat some greek yogurt and have chicken for lunch! My *half* of baked sweet potato hardly fits into my macros! I eat my exercise calories back... which means I'll probably end up eating somewhere around 1600 calories...but 300 extra calories of mostly chicken doesn't really get my jollys up.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Here is some good advice on ratios
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il1ka_jIjOM
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    well if you're hitting your macros then you should be hitting your calories as well.. so hit those macros! if you're gaining muscle, then definitely get a good amount of carbs as well as protein.

This is what I feel like now! Seriously about to eat some greek yogurt and have chicken for lunch! My *half* of baked sweet potato hardly fits into my macros! I eat my exercise calories back... which means I'll probably end up eating somewhere around 1600 calories...but 300 extra calories of mostly chicken doesn't really get my jollys up.

I know. I feel like a total carnivore eating like that. PB2 and Greek yogurt were my only saves from eating more chicken. Blech!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I eat to hit protein and fat amounts, not percentages. MFP doesn't let you set it up like that, only by percentage, so the goals change if you are logging your exercise.

If I hit my 150g of protein for the day and my 60g of fat for the day, my other food is whatever I want. If I have a heavy exercise day, most of that extra calories usually comes from carbs.
  • I eat to hit protein and fat amounts, not percentages. MFP doesn't let you set it up like that, only by percentage, so the goals change if you are logging your exercise.

If I hit my 150g of protein for the day and my 60g of fat for the day, my other food is whatever I want. If I have a heavy exercise day, most of that extra calories usually comes from carbs.

Thanks! this is really helpful. I asked my question in another thread so that I'm not hijacking this one.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

*sigh*

Me, too. Probably because my calorie allotment is low - Trying to fit in > 100g of protein on 1500-1600 cals means I either eat chicken breast or drink a protein shake for at least one meal if I want a little dessert or I won't make it. Most days, I don't make it, 'cause I'm not giving up the dessert to get another 15-25g of protein.

What the other poster was saying, though, is that since your macros should already be calculated to 100% of your calories (since OP was using % method), then if you hit your macros, you've hit your calories as well. %p + %c + %f = 100% calorie target.

It's just a little more confusing for those of us who do: min g protein + min g fat + min(or max) g carb + whatever else = calorie target. You'll notice your total calories is still in the equation, though.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member

*sigh*

Me, too. Probably because my calorie allotment is low - Trying to fit in > 100g of protein on 1500-1600 cals means I either eat chicken breast or drink a protein shake for at least one meal if I want a little dessert or I won't make it. Most days, I don't make it, 'cause I'm not giving up the dessert to get another 15-25g of protein.

What the other poster was saying, though, is that since your macros should already be calculated to 100% of your calories (since OP was using % method), then if you hit your macros, you've hit your calories as well. %p + %c + %f = 100% calorie target.

It's just a little more confusing for those of us who do: min g protein + min g fat + min(or max) g carb + whatever else = calorie target. You'll notice your total calories is still in the equation, though.

I see what you are saying...

For me I think it is easier to arrange my calories based on
    1) How many I want....
    2) What I want my macros to be
    3) fill in remaining calories with whatever.....depending on what I am doing that day.

100g of protein is only 400 calories...not that bad.
  • WhiteRabbit1313

*sigh*

1) How many I want....
    3) fill in remaining calories with whatever.....depending on what I am doing that day.

Hmmm...What kind of protein are you talking about?
  • MityMax96

*sigh*

1) How many I want....

Ok, I will not go smart *kitten*.....
    But I don't understand your question???

The protein I get from milk, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, protein powder, greek yogurt
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

Protein is always ~4cals per gram.

Most (all?) sources of protein though (like meat & milk, etc...) also contain certain amounts of fat and/or carbs which will increase the overall calore count.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

*sigh*

1) How many I want....

The protein I get from milk, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, protein powder, greek yogurt

lolz don't you know bro, there are different kinds of protein?
  • MityMax96

*sigh*

1) How many I want....

lolz don't you know bro, there are different kinds of protein?

I guess so.....
    Who knew??
  • WhiteRabbit1313

*sigh*

1) How many I want....

It was an honest question. Don't be rude about it. I'm NEW to this. Thanks for understanding.
  • WhiteRabbit1313

Most (all?) sources of protein though (like meat & milk, etc...) also contain certain amounts of fat and/or carbs which will increase the overall calore count.

Ok, THIS helps. I didn't know that. Thank you for being nice about it.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    No problem - confused me at first too!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Thanks for picking up the explanation for me. Yeah, if you're eating food rather than drinking protein shakes made with water, there are a significant number of other calories you can't avoid. And even the shakes have some extra.

This is why I'm getting mighty sick of chicken - but it has the best bang for the buck if you consider grams of protein / calorie. I'd eat more tuna, but there's the mercury aspect ...

Besides, I'm not one to appreciate a majority meat-based diet. I want veggies and fruit and beans and cheese and ... and ... and ... :bigsmile: