Replies

• FahadNaseem
    FahadNaseem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No, no and no.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My last attempt to lose weight was awesome because I had noticed all these people having troubles cutting sodas...and i was never big on it...until now. a couple months passed I went through a very rough time gaining back 50 of my 60 pounds...so now i am back...WITH a soda problem. Now I know there are a lot of risk factors with diet coke...I have read some horror stories...so I am slowly trying to get off of it i went from drinking up to 3 glasses a day everyday... to only one glass 3 times a week. I guess my main question is Diet coke really that bad....I know large amounts of it is but I am hoping to get down to 1 glass a week. Does it make you retain water? Gain weight? Will one glass a week really cause me harm?
    Drink SEltzer water I do and I get it at the vons with the orange its like eating fanta for me
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE soda, and have gone through different phases since high school - Dr pepper for a few years, Pepsi for a few, Cherry Coke for a few. Like 4-8 cans a day and no other drinks. Then my dentist threatened to stop seeing me if I didnt switch to diet... So then got seriously hooked on Diet Mtn Dew, then Code Red Diet Mtn Dew (like 8-12 cans per day) for many years.

Over the years, I learned a few things from my own personal "experiments" with quitting soda, and switching to other artificial sweeteners thinking some were "bad".

1) I NEED caffeine. I am like a jello blob without it.
    2) Nutrasweet/Aspartame makes my knees ache. I have validated that several times with different sweeteners, stopping/starting, etc. Just aspartame. My chiro had an explanation about inflammation and all that made enough sense (or I just needed something to believe) that I have stopped drinking it now.
    3) Sucralose/Splenda is bad for me if you overdose. I was using about 45 packets a day, eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia because of all my crazy symptoms. After a year of meds and pain, I read a site online about some side effects of splenda and realized what had happened. Quit using splenda and my "fibro" (which I never really had) went away completely.
    4) Stevia will kill me. Great for diabetics because it wont spike blood sugar and can actually lower it for some people. I am one of those people, but I am not diabetic - I have the low end of normal for blood sugar to start with. If I drink stevia, I will get dizzy, tunnel-vision and come very close to blacking out. Took me a month of thinking I was going to die before I tied them together. Quit drinking stevia and no issues.

Notice all of those mentioned "for me". I dont think any are bad - in *moderation* (which I sometimes fail to follow). I can now use splenda occasionally for example. As long as I am not overdosing, it doesnt bother me. And one can of diet dew wont hurt my knees but if I hit a few in a day or two it will.

So... my new tactic when trying a sweetener (currently working through Monk Fruit extract...) is to very deliberately watch my body's reactions and look for any changes the day I start using it. If I notice something odd, I quit and see if it fixes it. Someday, I will find the "one" that works for me :)

So if you feel good, no worries! If you are curious, stop it for a few weeks and see what changes you notice in yourself - fewer headaches? better sleep? aches/pains gone? If yes, then probably good to find a substitute. If not, no need to stop! Everyone is different in how they react to different "chemicals".

And technically they shouldnt impact weight loss, but the splenda gave me symptoms of fibro, which include extreme tiredness and aches and pains that made working out harder to do. I gained about 30 pounds that year. So for me, it had an indirect effect on my weight. Calorie wise I was just eating more than I was burning, but it caused me indirectly to burn WAY less than I would have since it knocked me on my butt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Everytime you drink diet soda god kills a puppy....please, think of the puppies!
    Then god should make sure the puppy doesn't go to waste. Asian cusine will appreciate this. Drink up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm shocked by all of the acceptance of diet sodas on this post. A quick google search will return thousands of results why your shouldn't be drinking soda. Didn't find any (that weren't ads from the company) saying you should. Here is a great article about the 7 worst effects.
    http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

If you don't care about your health and only dropping those pounds, here is why Diet Soda also causes obesity.
    "Diet soda doesn't help you lose weight after all. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%. Why? Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, suggested an animal study from Purdue University. That means people who consume diet foods might be more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it's eating sugar, and you crave more."

Bottom line, if you can tolerate it and want to be truely healthy, avoid anything that didn't exist 500 years ago. Learn to love water!
    Correlation isn't causation. Diet soda doesn't cause weight gain. Over consumption of calories does and diet soda doesn't FORCE the body to make the decision.
    I've been drinking diet soda for over 25 years. Suffer none of the maladies professed by "natural" or "healthy" sites that purport that it's "poison" or will cause tumors, brain damage, stroke, etc. I would think that by now SOMETHING would show up.
    Your conclusion is subjective based on correlation.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked by all of the acceptance of diet sodas on this post. A quick google search will return thousands of results why your shouldn't be drinking soda. Didn't find any (that weren't ads from the company) saying you should. Here is a great article about the 7 worst effects.
    http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

If you don't care about your health and only dropping those pounds, here is why Diet Soda also causes obesity.
    "Diet soda doesn't help you lose weight after all. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%. Why? Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, suggested an animal study from Purdue University. That means people who consume diet foods might be more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it's eating sugar, and you crave more."

Bottom line, if you can tolerate it and want to be truely healthy, avoid anything that didn't exist 500 years ago. Learn to love water!
    Correlation isn't causation. Diet soda doesn't cause weight gain. Over consumption of calories does and diet soda doesn't FORCE the body to make the decision.
    I've been drinking diet soda for over 25 years. Suffer none of the maladies professed by "natural" or "healthy" sites that purport that it's "poison" or will cause tumors, brain damage, stroke, etc. I would think that by now SOMETHING would show up.
    Your conclusion is subjective based on correlation.

IDEA Fitness member

I agree with this...drinkiing diet soda is not going to make you fat. If you're naive enough to think that because you drank a diet soda, you can then take in 500 calories somewhere else, you can't blame the soda.

That being said, I don't like the taste:frown:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you cannot buy a single apple, banana, orange, peach, broccoli crown, or cucumber that existed 500 years ago.
    Or CLEAN bacteria free water.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet soda everyday!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you cannot buy a single apple, banana, orange, peach, broccoli crown, or cucumber that existed 500 years ago.
    Or CLEAN bacteria free water.

IDEA Fitness member

Beer on the other hand....much safer.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly skeptical about dumping nutrition-less acid into my stomach but...I still drink it.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE soda, and have gone through different phases since high school - Dr pepper for a few years, Pepsi for a few, Cherry Coke for a few. Like 4-8 cans a day and no other drinks. Then my dentist threatened to stop seeing me if I didnt switch to diet... So then got seriously hooked on Diet Mtn Dew, then Code Red Diet Mtn Dew (like 8-12 cans per day) for many years.

Over the years, I learned a few things from my own personal "experiments" with quitting soda, and switching to other artificial sweeteners thinking some were "bad".

1) I NEED caffeine. I am like a jello blob without it.
    2) Nutrasweet/Aspartame makes my knees ache. I have validated that several times with different sweeteners, stopping/starting, etc. Just aspartame. My chiro had an explanation about inflammation and all that made enough sense (or I just needed something to believe) that I have stopped drinking it now.
    3) Sucralose/Splenda is bad for me if you overdose. I was using about 45 packets a day, eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia because of all my crazy symptoms. After a year of meds and pain, I read a site online about some side effects of splenda and realized what had happened. Quit using splenda and my "fibro" (which I never really had) went away completely.
    4) Stevia will kill me. Great for diabetics because it wont spike blood sugar and can actually lower it for some people. I am one of those people, but I am not diabetic - I have the low end of normal for blood sugar to start with. If I drink stevia, I will get dizzy, tunnel-vision and come very close to blacking out. Took me a month of thinking I was going to die before I tied them together. Quit drinking stevia and no issues.

Notice all of those mentioned "for me". I dont think any are bad - in *moderation* (which I sometimes fail to follow). I can now use splenda occasionally for example. As long as I am not overdosing, it doesnt bother me. And one can of diet dew wont hurt my knees but if I hit a few in a day or two it will.

So... my new tactic when trying a sweetener (currently working through Monk Fruit extract...) is to very deliberately watch my body's reactions and look for any changes the day I start using it. If I notice something odd, I quit and see if it fixes it. Someday, I will find the "one" that works for me :)

So if you feel good, no worries! If you are curious, stop it for a few weeks and see what changes you notice in yourself - fewer headaches? better sleep? aches/pains gone? If yes, then probably good to find a substitute. If not, no need to stop! Everyone is different in how they react to different "chemicals".

And technically they shouldn't impact weight loss, but the splenda gave me symptoms of fibro, which include extreme tiredness and aches and pains that made working out harder to do. I gained about 30 pounds that year. So for me, it had an indirect effect on my weight. Calorie wise I was just eating more than I was burning, but it caused me indirectly to burn WAY less than I would have since it knocked me on my butt.

I had a similar experience experimenting with sweeteners. I'm glad I finally gave them up, I feel so much better. Some people may react differently to different chemicals, it's like allergies really. I have a genetic predisposition to hate cilantro, it's not something I control but it tastes like metal to me :-)

I envy those who don't have issues with artificial sweeteners because I do love some Diet Coke :-)
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I consider Nutrisweet a poison, you can look it up on the net, don't take my word for it. Nutrisweet mimics several diseases, not sure if it brings them on, like MS, fibromyalgia, etc. It is also very addictive, the reason that you are chained to this drug. Do you want to be a drug addict or do you want to be free. If it was me, I would choose Freedom.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly skeptical about dumping nutrition-less acid into my stomach but...I still drink it.

Same here
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Actually yes, yes it is. Diet pops contain Aspartame, and we all know how bad that is for us! But the thing about Diet pops is, they also are a laxative.

Let me rewind a little bit. My husband used to be a heavy diet Pepsi drinker for years and during those years of drinking that junk he suffered terrible stomach issues, was unable to gain or maintain a reasonable weight and had a lot of other issues as well. Finally after dealing with multiple different doctors, we found out the truth to his problems, and it was diet Pepsi. Once he completely quit it, all his problems have disappeared, he has been able to keep a decent weight now, and he is healthier. The doctor basically explained how the diet pops all work as a laxative and laxatives are known to cause digestive issues. It is all common sense now that I look back at it.

Also, once I quit ALL pop, I have noticed a significant loss of weight, so that may be a good thing if you are looking to lose weight.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I should also mention Aspartame was the reason I had to have my galbladder removed...darn thing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I should also mention Aspartame was the reason I had to have my galbladder removed...darn thing.

No, it wasn't.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Same here

Nutrionless acid, eh? Ever see what HCl does to objects when it's not helping break down your food? Tell me more about acid.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Same here

Nutrionless acid, eh? Ever see what HCl does to objects when it's not helping break down your food? Tell me more about acid.

????

I don't need coke to help break down my food. I drink it for pleasure and for nothing else
  • quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    http://funnyasduck.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/funny-woman-big-pizza-diet-coke-pics.jpg makes me giggle.

My take on it is, your not suppose to be drinking pop lots, its like chocolate its a treat. If you think you need diet coke then the issue is your drinking to much pop replace it with all your body needs, water. There is still caffeine in diet coke so if you having lots you could be addicted to that too I have a real coke a few times a month and i really enjoy it. You should be able to fit 140 calories a few times a month into your plan.

I find it funny we have more diet crap and low fat junk available now then ever before and people are more overweight than ever. They don't satisfy the same and you can end up consuming ore than if you had just had the normal one to start off with.

What ever your take Aspartame is the most controversial food/drink additive ever. independent studies say its bad, industry funded say its good. I know with me if i have lots my eyes go blood shot and i get massive sugar cravings so i keep away.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What ever your take Aspartame is the most controversial food/drink additive ever. independent studies say its bad, industry funded say its good.

No.