Porridge help.

Options
13»

Replies

• Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just add or remove what you want to get the flavour you want, I use hazelnut milk in mine and a banana thats fine for me, oats in themselves don't have a lot of flavour.

Not sure what you mean by gloopy but the texture of the oats is a personal thing, maybe more or less water/milk, more or less time to cook you have to play around with it until its how you like it.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Special K Multi Grain Porridge is amazing. Don't know if it fits your criteria but it's in my food diary for yesterday if you wanted to look :)
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Plain porridge oats - buy them from any of our uk supermarkets
    I have 30g of oats, 130mls water, microwave for 2 mins and then I add either fresh fruit or frozen fruit (stick it in frozen, stir and then an additional 30sec in the M/W)

Hope it helps
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    all the health shops in the uk sell very healthy porridge its not as tasty as the sugary ones but just add something to it to spice it up.enjoy,good luck.
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    I live in Ireland too and use Flavahans as suggested but when I can't get that I buy the porridge oats from Lidl or Aldi which I know are in the UK.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    PS.. do not microwave.. it cooks the oats direct rather than letting them break down in the milk. Better to actually boil them on a stove for a few minutes. Cleaning tip... soak the pan in a little washing liquid, and the mess will just float away, so no scrubbing required.

Tricky for me as I eat my porridge and fruit around mid-morning at work and only have access to a microwave. I'm going to buy a big packet of cheap oats and then fill some little bags with 30g servings in future.
    Just bought a big bag of Sainsburys SO Organic oat flakes and a load of small tie-wrap serving bags to meaure out my 30g portions. From what I can find out these oats have no added sugar, salt or presevatives.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I just buy a big box of Scotts rolled oats and add milk to it. :)
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    So, I took all of your advice and bought myself some porridge oats! I decided to go for Flahavans Porridge, at the recommendation of many of you, and added cinnamon and raisins. It was pretty good, but tasted a little bland. Is there a healthy way of adding more flavour to the oats?

Also, the texture was quite 'gloopy' - is it just a case of adding more water to rectify?

Porridge can be a tricky thing as we all have our own preferences. I like mine really thick so I take 50g of oats, add milk and give them a stir so they're covered but not too sloppy, zap them for 1 minute, give them a stir and then zap them for another minute. I like to keep it simple so just add 2 tsp of sugar and another dribble of milk over the top. Sugar is natural and I don't have a problem with it.

For you it's probably just going to be a case of trial and error with the amount of liquid you use, as all microwaves are different, but it shouldn't take too long.

Other people have mentioned overnight oats, and that's a great way to add more flavour, though I don't know if it can be heated or how it might taste warm. I take the oats, add a small tub of flavoured yoghurt, grate an apple, squeeze an orange, give it a good stir and then leave it overnight. You can do a couple of day's worth at a time. Again, amounts of fruit, yoghurt, etc. come down to your preferences and a bit of trial and error.
  • HilsScott
    Options
    My local Sainsbury stocks the Special K porridge in sachets - just add milk and microwave. 173 calories for 30gm serving of red berry flavour with 125ml of semi skimmed milk. Bought some at the weekend but haven't tried it yet.
  • vickismum
    Options
    just buy porridge oats. all you need is access to a microwave. third of a cup of oats in a bowl add a cup of cold water and cook on full power for 2mins. Then you can add what you like.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Just the normal Tesco own brand bags of oats should be fine. Just weigh out your serving, add milk/water and flavouring of choice and microwave.

EDIT: If you find the texture is too thick, reserve some milk or water for AFTER microwaving and stir it in. Will cool them down and make them a bit runnier for you.
  • tessgetsfit
    tessgetsfit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Back when I was living in England I would buy the 1kg box of Scott's oats and would vary it up by sometimes adding honey to sweeten or just frozen berries (which don't contain much sugar for the amount you'd be adding). I cooked it on the stove using water and then would add a small amount of milk for that creamy consistency without adding too many calories.
    The combinations you can have with porridge are endless!