Replies

• Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Oh milk politics!!
    Oh how you confuse me so...

I just drink and get the f**k on with my life
  • Sapho38
    Options
    I avoid soy milk because of all the GMOs in the soya grown in the USA, so if you like soy milk get the organic type.

In my cereals I put either hemp milk, flax milk or almond milk whichever I have on hand but my preference goes to almond milk. Naturally these three (and even soy milk) are not really milk but liquid processed from the individual products so they need to be fortified if you want to match the good calcium in cow's milk. My husband is intolerant to cow's milk so he takes goat milk 2% which I put in my coffee.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    - just a note - man would want to stay away form regular / aboundant consumption of soy milk.

So, really would a woman.

If I'm going to drink something a bit carby with fats, little usable protein and calcium fortified, I'll take the coconut milk.
    I don't know about soy. I like the taste of coconut milk, so I've mostly been drinking that because it's a few less calories and I can keep it in the cupboard til I'm ready to use it.

Semi-skimmed milk is 50 cal per 100 ml
    Even whole milk is 64 cal per 100 ml
    Coconut milk is 230 cal per 100 g

So, lower calories is not a good argument for coconut milk over cow's milk. Unless your argument is that it's yummy, in which case I agree in general but wouldn't use it in tea or on my cereals.

Well, that poster may have been referring to commercially processed coconut milk, which generally has around 80 cals per cup (250 ml) rather than the canned version. Still, even with the calories, the MCTs make the fat calories a much better bang for your buck.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. What are MCTs?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever consider how many farm workers, human farm workers, die or get seriously injured each year while harvesting the items needed for your precious non milk 'milk'? How about how many immigrant farm workers that are taken advantage of and paid peanuts to do back breaking labor while working their fingers to the bone in order to get you enough raw materials for your non milk' milk '? And they do all this honest hard labor while being hunted down like animals and vilified in the conservative media as hardened criminals.

Does anyone care about their suffering? Or do cows matter more than humans? Or do we even consider those people human? Just trying to figure out where all this moral high mindedness about using fake milk (milk is murder....GTFO) comes to an end.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened soy milk and I mean just soy milk with no sugars or vanilla. It is cool, light and refreshing and no aftertaste on the mouth, and quenches thirst better than milk and very good for my smoothies with protein powder. I like it better than milk and milk used to be my favorite food.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Soy milk throws up other health nasties and really, I think both cow's milk and soy milk should be avoided. But that's purely my own personal opinion. Soy milk is only truly healthy if it is made fresh daily but seriously, who has the time for that cr@p?! For that reason, I drink/use almond or coconut milk.
    Just my musings...
    ~TCG~
  • crashj
    crashj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had my first soy latte from Starbucks today. It was marvelous.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If I was a vegan I would choose Almond or Coconut milk. I don't like the taste of soy milk and because I have thyroid disease, I prefer to choose non-soy options when it's feasible.

Coconut milk is legitimately delicious. I would drink it way more often if it 1) had more protein and 2) was cheaper.
  • Michiiba
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so I choose to drink almond milk.

All you people talking about cows milk being the norm, just ponder this thought for a second. Humans are the only species to drink another species milk. If you really get down to thinking about it, drinking milk from a cow is gross.

Can you drink the milk of that high horse you're on?
  • Rizabees
    Options
    I'm Lactose Intolerant. I switch between Lactaid milk and Vanilla Soymilk depending on if my husband is also eating what I'm cooking. Lucky guy gets to drink whole milk.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    less calories most likely but I'd go with almond or coconut milk instead. :) But I rarely eat cereal. I don't drink milk for lactose reasons.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I rather drink regular over soy milk but if you want to not consume milk then why not try almond milk?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I haven't had milk in ages nor ice cream in a long time. The closest I get to milk is goat milk yogurt that I have once in awhile
  • megaen29
    megaen29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't use either because I don't drink coffee, tea, etc. but I try to avoid soy in any products. Take a read.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/170-scientific-reasons-to-lose-the-soy-in-your-diet/
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    About 8-9 years ago I switched from cows milk to soy milk because I suddenly became lactose intolerant in my early 20s.

After drinking soy milk in my cereal and by itself for about 2 years, I became allergic to that too! It makes my throat close up so I can't breath.

So now I can drink Goat's milk, but it's very expensive so I don't drink any milk. If I eat cereal, it's usually just a handful as a snack dry and I drink my coffee black.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP's question, I drink soy over animal milk for ethical reasons.

To answer the human exploitation over animal mentioned earlier, I buy my soy milk and related products from a company who produce only organic non GMO soy, not grown on rainforest land and pay their workers fairly. Slightly more expensive, but gentler on the planet for human and animal.

A high horse - no not really; just answering the original question. Each to their own.

• Michiiba
    Options

To answer the human exploitation over animal mentioned earlier, I buy my soy milk and related products from a company who produce only organic non GMO soy, not grown on rainforest land and pay their workers fairly. Slightly more expensive, but gentler on the planet for human and animal.

A high horse - no not really; just answering the original question. Each to their own.

lol, well you sure sound butt hurt.

Especially since the high horse comment wasn't direct at you Carl...
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

No problem, not butt hurt. Debates like this usually go a bit crazy. It's part of the fun.
    - high horses on both sides and that's fine; I like horses.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever consider how many farm workers, human farm workers, die or get seriously injured each year while harvesting the items needed for your precious non milk 'milk'? How about how many immigrant farm workers that are taken advantage of and paid peanuts to do back breaking labor while working their fingers to the bone in order to get you enough raw materials for your non milk' milk '? And they do all this honest hard labor while being hunted down like animals and vilified in the conservative media as hardened criminals.

Does anyone care about their suffering? Or do cows matter more than humans? Or do we even consider those people human? Just trying to figure out where all this moral high mindedness about using fake milk (milk is murder....GTFO) comes to an end.

I prefer my milk with extra suffering added. Which form should I go with?
  • Michiiba
    Options

No problem, not butt hurt. Debates like this usually go a bit crazy. It's part of the fun.
    - high horses on both sides and that's fine; I like horses.

hehe, i'm just sick of this cold rain. No hard feelers :P