Why soy over regular milk?

Options

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Going through people's most popular foods, why are there so many people choosing soy over regular milk? Granted I just drink it as a condiment for my coffee. Just curious what the health benefits are?

It tastes better, especially the unsweetened soy or, my favorite, almond milk. Regular milk is nasty, I didn't like it even as a child.

Soy has some heart-health isoflavones that regular milk doesn't have.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Soy contains phytoestrogens, which bind to estrogen receptors, making a man's body think it is overproducing testosterone (which aromatises into estrogen). It also stimulates the production of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), a protein that deactivates testosterone.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever consider how many farm workers, human farm workers, die or get seriously injured each year while harvesting the items needed for your precious non milk 'milk'? How about how many immigrant farm workers that are taken advantage of and paid peanuts to do back breaking labor while working their fingers to the bone in order to get you enough raw materials for your non milk' milk '? And they do all this honest hard labor while being hunted down like animals and vilified in the conservative media as hardened criminals.

Does anyone care about their suffering? Or do cows matter more than humans? Or do we even consider those people human? Just trying to figure out where all this moral high mindedness about using fake milk (milk is murder....GTFO) comes to an end.

I prefer my milk with extra suffering added. Which form should I go with?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I suggest mixing cow and soy milk together, half of each, maximizing the suffering!:drinker:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    alien spawn lactose causes them to molt their human shell
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Almond milk for me. I have difficulty digesting milk protein (casein). Bonus: unsweetened almond milk had 50% more calcium than cow's milk and 0 grams of sugar. :drinker:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so I choose to drink almond milk.

All you people talking about cows milk being the norm, just ponder this thought for a second. Humans are the only species to drink another species milk. If you really get down to thinking about it, drinking milk from a cow is gross.
    050905_dogtigers.jpg

I drink cow milk. I've had almond and soy "milk", both were okay. It's down to preference for me.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

All you people talking about cows milk being the norm, just ponder this thought for a second. Humans are the only species to drink another species milk. If you really get down to thinking about it, drinking milk from a cow is gross.

I don't know my dogs are a little too curious while I'm nursing
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I drink my 2% cow milk most of the time. On a recent diet attempt I tried almond milk just for the lower calories & really liked it. I like the sweetened vanilla especially on cereal & it's okay in coffee. I also like it because it lasts A LOT longer. I live alone, & I have trouble getting through even a half gallon of regular milk. I really want to try coconut milk because I've heard great things about it, but I have no desire whatsoever to try soy milk. It has just never sounded appealing to me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Does gross mean delicious?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    skim milk and unsweetened soy milk have about 80calories a cup. Good luck drinking unsweetened soy milk...bleck!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options

050905_dogtigers.jpg

I drink cow milk. I've had almond and soy "milk", both were okay. It's down to preference for me.

goat.jpg

I drink cow's milk in my coffee but use almond milk in my smoothies and cereal. It's for the calorie cut, but enjoy the taste of it as well! But wouldn't have a cup of almond milk just to drink... or cow's milk for that matter either.
  • AnnieDayNow
    AnnieDayNow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like cow's milk well enough. I'll drink skim, and used to sub in evaporated skim milk in recipes calling for cream. I've been experimenting with almond milk lately purely for the calories -- 40 calories/cup as opposed to 80 calories in skim milk. Works great in recipes and the taste is not that objectionable to me.

I won't touch soy milk though. It is way too bitter to me and I gag every time I try to drink it.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think cow's milk tastes awful (though I do like half and half in my coffee). Soy makes me light-headed. So as far as milk products go, it's almond milk or nothing.
    Options
    Going through people's most popular foods, why are there so many people choosing soy over regular milk? Granted I just drink it as a condiment for my coffee. Just curious what the health benefits are?

I started drinking soymilk because I was vegan... When I tried to transition back to cow milk, I found it tasted and smelt absolutely gross to me. I prefer the taste to soymilk now but it took some getting used to.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    :heart: ichzbgr_zps3d70acba.gif:heart:
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like what it does to my breast, hair, and penis.
    James Price's breasts had been painful and swollen. It looked as if gum balls were implanted underneath each nipple. The slightest touch triggered throbs.

For Price, a retired U.S. Army intelligence officer who once flew attack helicopters in Vietnam, these changes were more than just physically uncomfortable. "Men aren't supposed to have breasts," he says today in a quiet Texas drawl. "It was like my body was feminizing."

A lean and wiry man, the breast development stood in stark contrast to the rest of his body. But it was not Price's only symptom. His beard growth had slowed, he'd lost hair from his arms, chest, and legs, and he'd stopped waking up with morning erections. "My sexual desire disappeared," he says. "My penis—I won't say it atrophied, but it was so flaccid that it looked very small in comparison with the way it used to be. Even my emotions changed." http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

Oh, and let's not forget the benefits of drinking soy milk that my wife enjoys:
    ...eating large amounts of those estrogenic compounds might reduce fertility in women, trigger premature puberty and disrupt development of fetuses and children. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soybean-fertility-hormone-isoflavones-genistein/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yeah? How about you ponder this ... humans are the only species to cook their food whether with heat or with acids. How about you stop eating all cooked food 'cause by the same logic it's 'gross', too, and I'll reconsider your statement.

Despite the fact that it's really not true.

Provide another milk-drinking critter with some other species' milk and they don't seem to have a problem chowing down. Good thing for the zoos and wild animal sanctuaries, yes?

I drink cow's milk purely for taste reasons, since I'm not intolerant. To me, almond, soy, rice, and coconut milks taste gross on their own. I can cook with them, but not drink them.
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is an ingredient called carrageenan that is used in almond, soy and coconut that is a known to be linked to cancer and should be avoided. That being said, these days everything causes cancer because the U.S. makes it acceptable for corporations to continually screw with our food supply. I personally prefer cow milk. I used to love almond until I found out about carrageenan. Soy also mimics estrogen so I avoid all processed soy (plus 99% of soy in the US is GMO). The choices and "facts" can just be too much. Good luck on figuring out what works for you. It is a challenge. The more questions you ask, the more questions you will have.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever consider how many farm workers, human farm workers, die or get seriously injured each year while harvesting the items needed for your precious non milk 'milk'? How about how many immigrant farm workers that are taken advantage of and paid peanuts to do back breaking labor while working their fingers to the bone in order to get you enough raw materials for your non milk' milk '? And they do all this honest hard labor while being hunted down like animals and vilified in the conservative media as hardened criminals.

Does anyone care about their suffering? Or do cows matter more than humans? Or do we even consider those people human? Just trying to figure out where all this moral high mindedness about using fake milk (milk is murder....GTFO) comes to an end.

human
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I suggest mixing cow and soy milk together, half of each, maximizing the suffering!:drinker:

27319887d1347512186-beast-hunters-plans-new-beast-wars-machines-cartoon-toyline-guinness-brilliant.jpg