Eggs...how many?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll scramble 2 whole eggs with 4-6 egg whites. If you put the yolks in a tupperware container with a bit of water, you can store them in the fridge for 2 or 3 days (egg whites can be frozen for a couple of weeks I think.) . I usually store them and use them in recipes later in the week to adjust macro content as needed. They are an awesome way to keep a good balance, and I've not read anything that says they should be limited.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Remember though. Yolks contain fat, but good fat at that, that makes a single egg around 70 or so calories. So take that into effect for your "fat" macro-nutrient.

Egg whites on the other hand are a lot lower in fat and calories.

Egg whites are sadness.

I ate 10 egg whites this morning with a wrap and sriracha sauce. I feel happy, my but my stomach will feel sad later (I have a love/hate relationship with sriracha)

Whatd you do with all the yolks??

I made these delicious cranberry orange breakfast bins a few weeks ago. The dough required a whole egg and 4 yolks.
    I had to eat an egg white omelet and I was very sad.
    The yolk is the delicious part

Threw em away, lol. I don't like egg yolk. For me, it leaves a nasty chalky taste that takes hours to go away.

I make sure to get my fat from olive oil / peanut butter though throughout the day, instead of egg yolk.

Why don't you just buy cartons of egg whites instead of wasting half of your eggs?
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't have any scientific data for you but my family and I love eggs. I have been becoming more concerned and aware of how chickens are raised commercially for egg and meat consumption. So I bought some chickens. I realize this isn't the answer for everyone but it works for me. I now collect 2-3 fresh eggs per day. Each of the three of us in my house eat eggs at least 2-3 days per week for breakfast.

So I would say I typically eat about 6 eggs per week. My cholesterol is in a healthy range, I just had it checked for my annual physical last week.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How ever many fit into your calorie goal.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    i eat 4-8 per day :))
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Remember though. Yolks contain fat, but good fat at that, that makes a single egg around 70 or so calories. So take that into effect for your "fat" macro-nutrient.

Egg whites are sadness.

I ate 10 egg whites this morning with a wrap and sriracha sauce. I feel happy, my but my stomach will feel sad later (I have a love/hate relationship with sriracha)

I made these delicious cranberry orange breakfast bins a few weeks ago. The dough required a whole egg and 4 yolks.

Threw em away, lol. I don't like egg yolk. For me, it leaves a nasty chalky taste that takes hours to go away.

I make sure to get my fat from olive oil / peanut butter though throughout the day, instead of egg yolk.

Blashpemy!!!

At least get the cartons of the whites

More expensive than just throwing the yolks away, which is really kinda crazy.

I can understand tossing the yolks if you really just don't like egg yolk. Just don't toss em because you think they're bad for you or something.

Eat eggs whatever way you like them best.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Egg whites are sadness.

Why don't you just buy cartons of egg whites instead of wasting half of your eggs?

I do. I keep a box of 8 dozen whole eggs in my fridge and about 5 cartons of liquid egg whites at all times. I use them A LOT for protein shakes, pancakes, dinner ideas, etc.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the long explanation, just thought it might help understand the process a little better.

Not at all - that was actually very helpful, thanks. I was one of those annoying children who could never be fobbed off with a non-comprehensive answer to any 'Why' question, so that was ideal.

Thank you all for the responses and ideas - very much appreciated. I shall wend my merry egg-eating way onwards without concern :flowerforyou:

P.S. Funny how tastebuds vary - I love yolks, but find the whites a bit plastic-y, a little bitter and very unappealing, on their own. With the yolk, and a bit of pepper and grated parmesan... just fine.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Eat as many as you can afford without going over your calorie limit !