I am becoming judgemental

Options
Walking through the office this morning at 8:26 am, I have seen people eating their lunch, chips and peanut butter cups. And all I can think is unbelievable! I am by no means perfect, not even close. But, I am becoming so much more aware of what I am eating and the nutritional value that I am judging other peoples habits.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    mmmm, peanut butter cups. Love love!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It's alright to judge what you eat, but keep in mind that those people are making their own health decisions. In the past, maybe you weren't as knowledgable as you are now, or didn't care as much. It happens to the best of us. We've all experienced it and we all know what it's like to not be constantly thinking about calories, macros, and nutrition in general.

It's not up to us, however, to educate the masses. If your co-workers see your progress and they see how healthy you're becoming, they may ask you for what you did. Some will reply, "Wow, that sounds rough" and continue eating doughnuts. Some might start thinking, "Hey, that sounds like something I could do." And for some, you may just be the final push they need into trying to improve themselves. But it's never up to us to judge them for what they're doing or try to change them. Can't make decisions for others, but you can sure help them find their way if they're asking for help. Diet is a very personal thing.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Walking through the office this morning at 8:26 am, I have seen people eating their lunch, chips and peanut butter cups. And all I can think is unbelievable! I am by no means perfect, not even close. But, I am becoming so much more aware of what I am eating and the nutritional value that I am judging other peoples habits.

Yeah...you should duck and cover, right now.

I lost 30 lbs. eating whatever I wanted, which wasn't necessarily candy bars and chips, but I DID eat them.

You should realize that just because you found something that works for you, it doesn't mean that everyone else has the same goals or concerns as you. You are not them, and they are not you. Mind your own business and do you.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty close to what I'm going to be eating today, except my husband ate half of my chocolate almond candy bar, so I only get half :grumble:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It's alright to judge what you eat, but keep in mind that those people are making their own health decisions. In the past, maybe you weren't as knowledgable as you are now, or didn't care as much. It happens to the best of us. We've all experienced it and we all know what it's like to not be constantly thinking about calories, macros, and nutrition in general.

It's not up to us, however, to educate the masses. If your co-workers see your progress and they see how healthy you're becoming, they may ask you for what you did. Some will reply, "Wow, that sounds rough" and continue eating doughnuts. Some might start thinking, "Hey, that sounds like something I could do." And for some, you may just be the final push they need into trying to improve themselves. But it's never up to us to judge them for what they're doing or try to change them. Can't make decisions for others, but you can sure help them find their way if they're asking for help. Diet is a very personal thing.

I agree completely with this.

Judging others is sometimes inevitable, but you've gotta try to keep it in perspective as it can be a slippery slope.

Think for a moment about someone with much stricter dietary habits than your own, and how annoying it would be to see them looking down their nose at you or to know that they're judging you for eating something processed, or whatever. It's not a good feeling.

My best advice is to just stay out of it as much as you can, and keep to the thoughts of "I'm so glad I know better than to indulge in X, Y, Z all day long"

I do admit though, there are times that I feel similarly to what the OP posted...mostly on facebook when friends post about breakfast at Panera, lunch at Applebees, dinner from Pizza Hut, and a frozen custard snack...in one day. It's almost impossible not to mentally tally up the NI and calories of that ;-) And of course it's usually from someone who often talks about weight loss.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    So if say I had a salad for lunch and then later on in the afternoon decided that I wanted a handful of M&M's or a bag of chips because I was hungry and it fit into my calories for the day you would turn your nose at me because you saw me eating "junk" when you have no idea of what I had eaten earlier that day and what my daily calories are. I could very well have hit the gym early that morning and burned 1,000 calories and felt the need to indulge in a treat.

It's okay to eat chips, candy, donuts and any other kind of junk food out there in moderation. It's not okay to judge others who eat it just because you don't.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I do admit though, there are times that I feel similarly to what the OP posted...mostly on facebook when friends post about breakfast at Panera, lunch at Applebees, dinner from Pizza Hut, and a frozen custard snack...in one day. It's almost impossible not to mentally tally up the NI and calories of that ;-) And of course it's usually from someone who often talks about weight loss.

That is different though. I took it as she's just walking around and seeing people eat these things with their lunch and that it's not something they do all day long.

It really is annoying though regardless of whether or not you eat healthy when people judge you on what you eat. When I worked in an office people would go ape if they saw me eating a piece of candy or God forbid I got a basket of fries for lunch. I felt like I was a monkey in the zoo the way they swarmed around my cubicle watching me eat and exclaiming over the fact that I ate "bad" food.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

It'll fade. People who are new to a hobby or interest often become highly judgmental of how others do it. For instance, new guitar players will sneer at people playing old ratty guits and new photographers with expensive DSLRs will judge others based on their older or less-capable camera.

Then something amazing happens. As you become highly experienced, you realize that the obvious, external signs matter less and less. John Petrucci could pick up a 30 year old $50 guitar from a Sears catalog and blow you away. Jay Maisel could take one snap with a disposable film camera that shames your entire 10,000 picture history with that fancy DSLR.

And it's the same with food. The person eating that peanut butter cup or slice of pizza might, under that suit and tie, be an 8% body fat triathlete in extraordinary health who can squat 400 lbs.

So yeah. Everyone gets uppity about their awesome stuff when they start. You'll get over it.

BTW, my plan for dinner is a double cheeseburger from Five Guys followed by a Butterfinger. Go ahead and judge me.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty close to what I'm going to be eating today, except my husband ate half of my chocolate almond candy bar, so I only get half :grumble:

How is he still alive?!

Also, mmmm pb cups.
    I want one.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Give me all your yummy tasting food, and I'll still drop pounds.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I can't really say this is an issue for me. All I want to do is live how I want, and I allow others to do the same....
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    BTW, my plan for dinner is a double cheeseburger from Five Guys followed by a Butterfinger. Go ahead and judge me.

No fries? How can you have a burger and no fries?

(Never had a Five Guys burger. I heard they are to DIE for).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Just remember that people probably once judged you and your food choices.
  • Maybe they've made sure it fits their macros.

Why do you care?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Stop it.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    It's ok. I'm really judgemental of other drivers on the road. Cause I'm awesome and am better at it than they are. Maybe because I'm older than some of them and have more experience; maybe it's because I'm younger than some of them and still have all my faculties; maybe it's because I'm smarter than some of them... but yeah. I judge bad drivers. Harshly. With my middle finger.

So, what I'm saying is.... rock on with your judgemental self! lol
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

Burgers are ok. Cajun fries are what makes it.
  • jonnythan
    Options

When you order fries at Five Guys they give you like 10 pounds of them. They seriously put some fries in a paper thing like McDonald's, place it in the bag, then dump another few scoops of fries on top of it. It's crazy.

But, with a 900-calorie burger you have to cut back somewhere :laugh:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

How is he still alive?!

Also, mmmm pb cups.
    I want one.

Technically it was his candy bar, since he bought it from work (fund raiser thing), but he gave it to me as a gift. And then last night I saw him eating part of it. Not cool. Not cool at all :angry: :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It's ok. I'm really judgemental of other drivers on the road. Cause I'm awesome and am better at it than they are. Maybe because I'm older than some of them and have more experience; maybe it's because I'm younger than some of them and still have all my faculties; maybe it's because I'm smarter than some of them... but yeah. I judge bad drivers. Harshly. With my middle finger.

Going by your profile pic, that's a pretty big finger.