Fat/Protein/Carbs Question?

Options
I am wondering how many grams of protein and fat I should be eating? I tried using IIYM but it gives me a ridiculous number (200 grams).... I see most people just like to break 100grams... I think that sounds good no? How many grams of fat should I eat? and the rest are yummmmy carbs right!?!?

I am currently eating about 1800 calories a day plus my fitbit gives me more calories if I burn more. I walk for 40 mins Monday - Friday at a low intensity (about 2mph - 3mph) and I do crunches, push-ups as well as some other excercises with an exercise ball, resistance band and a medicine ball but I don't count those as calories burned.

Stats:

Height: 5' 2"
Weight: 225lbs

If you need any more info let me know!

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So what's your goal?
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    So what's your goal?

Fit and 150lbs for now
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Putting your stats into this calculator http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girard2.htm gives roughly 2200-2400 cals. for maintenance (1.3 or 1.4 for activity level). To lose 1 lb/week, eliminate 500 cals. / day. Apparently it already takes into account activity. So it looks like 1700-1900 cals./day to lose. How you divvy those calories up between carbs, protein and fat depends on you personally. For example I personally prefer to keep protein slightly higher than carbs, and both higher than fat.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Putting your stats into this calculator http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girard2.htm gives roughly 2200-2400 cals. for maintenance (1.3 or 1.4 for activity level). To lose 1 lb/week, eliminate 500 cals. / day. Apparently it already takes into account activity. So it looks like 1700-1900 cals./day to lose. How you divvy those calories up between carbs, protein and fat depends on you personally. For example I personally prefer to keep protein slightly higher than carbs, and both higher than fat.

Why do you prefer that way?
  • 4h2orat
    Options
    As others have said, it depends on your goals. I am no expert, but I have done much internet research, and read several books, on burning fat, while not losing lean muscle, so hear is my opinion: for building or maintaining lean muscle tissue (which you want for strength and increasing metabolism / fat burning) , 1 gram of protein per pound of body weights is a general rule of thumb. Base that on your ideal rate (i.e, 100 lbs weigh goal = 100 grams, 120 lbs = 120 grams, etc.).

Also, try to keep your total fat percentage under 25% of total calories (mainly from good fat, not saturated, and no trans fats) .
    I personally shoot for 30% protein (min), 20- 25% fat (max) and remainder can be carbs 45%+.

You can set your percentages in myfitnesspal under goals and change them with the custom tab.

FYI:

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories

Note how many calories are in fat and alcohol.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Why do you prefer that way?

Weight lifting and fat loss. A 40/35/25 ratio (protein/carb/fat) was recommended in a book for men called The Gladiator Diet. The author, an MD who specialized in hormonal responses said that was the optimal ratio for optimal insulin and glucagon control, at least for men. She said historical evidence showed it was pretty much the diet of the ancient gladiators, who were the prize fighters of their day; the well-trained and well-conditioned professionals, not slaves.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I understand the recommendation is 1 gm of protein per lb of body weight, but I also read that it refers to LEAN body mass....am i correct in this?

In that case, my current weight, at 144, which according to a lean mass calculator (which I know are at best guesstimates) my lean mass is 98 lbs - therefore my protein intake should be 98 (which I round up to 100 for MFP entry)

Is this right?

I currently have my settings at 40 carb, 35 protein, 25 fat. My goal is fat loss, lean muscle building, and of course toning. My goal weight is 125.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I understand the recommendation is 1 gm of protein per lb of body weight, but I also read that it refers to LEAN body mass....am i correct in this?

In that case, my current weight, at 144, which according to a lean mass calculator (which I know are at best guesstimates) my lean mass is 98 lbs - therefore my protein intake should be 98 (which I round up to 100 for MFP entry)

Is this right?

I currently have my settings at 40 carb, 35 protein, 25 fat. My goal is fat loss, lean muscle building, and of course toning. My goal weight is 125.

Yes, most everything I've come across is 1g Protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

Is this right?

Yes, most everything I've come across is 1g Protein per pound of lean body mass.

As a minimum goal.
  • Michiiba
    Options
    OP calculate your macros again using your goal weight, not current.

125KC 100g is fine.