Shocked at the amount of calories

Options

Replies

• xLittleMissVixenx
    Options
    I was surprised that there are 989 calories in a Zizzi lasagne, which is my favourite main course ever! Still going to have one next week because I'm going to Zizzi for a cheat meal. The whole meal including half a bottle of wine will be over 2000 calories which is a little bit daunting!

Also, I had fish for dinner the other day because it was a 'healthy option' but it turned out to be the same amount of calories as the burgers I'd had the day before.

Things do surprise me the other way as well though. Krispy Kreme doughnuts don't have as many calories as I thought and neither does bacon.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Definitely museli! lovely nutty fruity muesli, looks the picture of health. Checked the back of the pack 40g = 159cals okay great not bad. Decided to weigh it, holy crap thats a hamster portion I'd been serving myself at least 3x that before I started weighing food 0_o
  • Companero1
    Companero1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    On the other hand I'm shocked how few calories are in a Big Mac. In Britain a Big Mac only has 490 calories. I sometimes have 2 for lunch and a 1000 cal dinner in the evening. Nice way to keep to my 2000 calorie a day diet.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Wraps..... just the thin flat bread bit rather than the finished filled item. How can something so flat count for so much?!
    We have been making our wraps with rye mountain bread (although checking my pantry they are now called Rye wraps LOL). Each one is 69 calories per piece. Yummy too. The lower calorie level was a bonus.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Definitely museli! lovely nutty fruity muesli, looks the picture of health. Checked the back of the pack 40g = 159cals okay great not bad. Decided to weigh it, holy crap thats a hamster portion I'd been serving myself at least 3x that before I started weighing food 0_o

I know what you mean! I stick to 40g, but instead of adding milk, I add some nice thick plain yoghurt, then top with blueberries. Once you've got that extra protein from the yoghurt, it's much more filling! And not many more calories than milk!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Watermelon! I normally have half for breakfast in the summer and it can rock up to about 1000 calories!

also I have bread which is like 126cal per slice, like they aren't even big slices!
    or when wraps are like 250! I'm like whaaaatt howwww

Watermelon? Are you sure you're working that out right? It's 90% water! I used to eat a massive tub of watermelon for around 100 calories, and I'd be stuffed, so if you can eat 10 of those, I'm impressed! :laugh:

Tbh calorie counts don't shock me any more, it's more about what they consider to be a portion. I bought a small, pre-packaged lasagna from Tescos once, a 'healthy' one, and it said it was 450 cals on the packet. When I got home and ate it, I looked at the pack only to see it was actually 450 cals per serving, which was considered to be half the pack. That wouldn't have filled up my cat.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mascarpone cheesecake I made as part of a baking club at college once. 700 calories for a small slice!!
    White chocolate passionfruit cake I made from the NZ's favourite recipes website. Again, about 700 calories per slice.
    Costco cakes given out at uni events all seem to be ridiculously high in calories too.
    When I found out what seemed like a normal teaspoon of peanut butter was actually 20 g (which is according to the nutritional info a tablespoon…)
    A 100 g slice of mud chocolate cake from the supermarket was way bigger when I measured it on the scales than I thought.
    Max Brenner! The milk Italians are 600 calories for a 250 mL cup and babka with milk chocolate lick is easily 1000 calories.
    When I realised how many calories you consume when you have 4, or 5, or 6 slices of thickly buttered toast with your vegetable soup (like I used to).
  • RideRunRepeat
    RideRunRepeat Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    almonds....a handful at every meal on a salad, as a snack, as something healthy to much on....some days especially if I accidentally missed a meal 800 calories!!!! WHAT??????

Those little powerhouses stalled me for a whole month because even though I was eating exactly on plan....I hadn't looked up how many calories they were and added about 500 extra calories that I didn't know I was eating. Ha!! Now a serving size for me is 15 almonds. ;)
  • Cirsium
    Cirsium Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Effing breakfast cereal/muesli. Seriously, they should put a giant red warning on those.

^^This. Granola made me fat!!! Admittedly, it was all I was eating for several months whilst I was unwell and stuck in the house, but seriously, breakfast cereal is a beast.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I second this! Wraps!!!!

I had seafood fajitas for dinner last night (random, but YUM!). There I was, scanning all the ingredients thinking, 'Awesome, I should have some calories left over', and then BOOM! 2 plain wraps were over 350kcals! WHAT?????

So I went over my daily goal! :(
    Oh well! They were yummy though!

Wraps..... just the thin flat bread bit rather than the finished filled item. How can something so flat count for so much?!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Cobb salad in various restaurants.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I read the book: Eat this not that.
    Some of the dishes in restaurants have 2500 cal. Especially cheesecake factory leads with high fat, high sodium, high everything dishes. Smoothies can be horrible high in cals. The amount of calories should be right next to the dish on the Menu. Might scare a lot of people off.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I went to a place called Chop't Creative Salad Company yesterday (warning bells going off already!) and was absolutely stunned at the calories listed on the menus.

No salad should be 1000 calories, plus. Just, no. What do they even put IN there to make it that high? It's GREENS, for Pete's sake.

Until you add the meat, the dressing, the toppings....uh-huh, the light bulb over my head is shining bright. That is CRAZY. :noway:

I ended up with a steakhouse salad at a "respectable" 370 calories with some "spa" dressing (only 15 calories and was pretty good, actually). So I escaped unscathed, but I can see where people might be misled into thinking this stuff is healthy. After all, it's salad... right?

Funny how some salads end up being the equivalent of a triple cheeseburger.... :cry:
  • nioui_non
    Options
    Most of the time, I'm not that shocked to see the amount of calories in chocolate, fast food, pizza or cakes/candies. Most of the time, when I eat them, I'm quite conscious of my caloric intake.

But I was truly schocked by the amount of calories in some supposedly light treats like chocolate covered rice cakes.
    Seriously, why the hell would I eat a chocolate covered styroform thingy if I can eat a kinder for the same amount of calories?
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I learned years ago that a blooming onion from Outback Steakhouse has 2000 calories in it, 160 grams of fat and over 4000 milligrams of sodium. And that doesn't count the dipping sauces they bring with it. I know it's meant to be shared, but it's an onion!
  • Weezabella
    Weezabella Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My surprise has been the "healthy" grain-based products. Bread, pasta, wraps, bagels... So high in calories, and that's before you've put the yummy stuff on them!

I hardly ever eat pasta now - when I have the craving for that type of instant comfort food I have potato gnocchi instead. And wraps are now a treat instead of a regular staple.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    Wraps surprised me, nothing to them so how can they be worse than a slice of bread? Also any food from coffee shops......

The size of servings also, the amount of cornflakes I would normally have is at least two "servings".
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm more shocked about the sodium many restaurant meals more so than calories. Regarding calories people have already mentioned my calorie shockers of almonds/cashews etc. and DQ Blizzards.
    If I know I am going to be consuming a large amount of calories, I just make sure to burn a lot of calories exercising that day or the next day. Problem solved! Or sometimes I will eat low cal/ high protein and fiber all day and save my calories for going out to dinner that evening. It was a pain planning everything initially, but now I am used to it, and it's no big deal.

I used to be slightly jealous of people who could eat 3 chocolates and be satisfied with that. After experimenting I started recreating my favorite meals and treats at home.

Also I started doing the same thing as you (earn/burn the calories or save my calories and eat light the rest of the day). Now with a little planning (I usually have treats on the weekend) I can enjoy myself...just have to watch my sodium intake!
  • stripeytrousers
    Options
    Some of these responses have really made me laugh! Sometimes you forget that other people around you will be going through the same things and feelings ... mine was creme fraiche. I bought the 'lighter' creme fraiche and weighed it recently, the serving amount was about a thimble, I nearly cried in to my chilli con carne!
  • pebs122297
    Options
    1 Flour tortilla- 170 calories. I cringe to think of how many of these I have eaten over my lifetime. That is just for 1! Splurging today on a bean and cheese burrito....so wanted to figure out how many calories I will be eating.