Shocked at the amount of calories

Options

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Seriously, it seems like someone asked "how can we cram as many calories as possible into this thing?", besides straight up lard, nothing beats it!

And also so many things home cooked versus store bought - like wraps, bread, jam, cream cheese, pasta sauce - I honestly think what I make tastes better, and it has like half the calories. What on earth are the manufacturers doing?

What they're doing is turning everything that used to be healthy into candy in one form or another, and increasing portion sizes. Cereal (esp. granola), yogurt, bagels, muffins- if you don't make your own you have to be very wary of what you're buying. And sugar (or worse, high fructose corn syrup) is in everything.

An observation on portion sizes: even when we buy chicken breasts and pork chops, they're HUGE compared to what I remember as a kid. DH and I can share one and that's enough. The average person probably just makes a portion out of one chicken breast or one pork chop without even thinking about it, let alone weighing it.

I'm careful about splurges because there are some things I can generally live without- fried things, pizza, fatty meats, desserts that don't have frosting, etc. Knowing the calorie value, I pass them up because to me they're not worth it. That llows me to indulge in the things I genuinely enjoy once in awhile.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    The white chocolate brownie from Moxies is 1400 calories. Nearly died the first time I logged it (I've had it several times since, just plan my day a little better now!)
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Honestly? All those "healthy" labeled snacks like "fiber" cookies, salty crackes, pretzels are LOADED with sugars or sodium. I was eating "Belvita - healthy" biscuits for mid snack when I found out that per 100 gr. they're 400 calories?! Now my mid snack are mainly fruits like orange, tangerines or banana. Sometimes nuts

Also - cheesecake. Damn, 400 calorie per little slice and sometimes more? I didn't expected that
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    But milk only has lactose.. and unless you are intolerant to it.. it is good for you. Same with fructose.. none of these sugars are bad for you. Your body digests them easily and it doesn't really effect your insulin levels or decay your teeth. So eat as much fruit and drink as much milk as you like.. it's a whole heap better than eating low fat ( i.e high sugar )diet foods.

Not really advice for everyone, especially if you are diabetic.
  • fificrazy
    Options
    A mini concrete at Freddy's is 700 calories. A child sized ANYTHING shouldn't be 700 calories.

For a child, 700 calories are barely a drop in the ocean when it comes to the total amount of calories they'll take in and burn off in a day.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    What did me in? The cheesecake! At 600 calories per tiny, delicious slice.

Yup. That is what the people who say, "eat what you want, just in moderation" don't get.

Even if you have the willpower to only eat a tiny slice of cheesecake at a sitting, it is still an enormous amount of of your daily allotment of calories and you will be hungry again in no time and need to eat again, easily going over your allotment for the day.

Some foods there is just no practical way to eat in moderation. Unless you are one of those people who eats a spoonful of some treat and is satisfied.

This x10000000. "I eat ice cream every day!!!" Cool story bro. 1/4 of a cup is a silly amount to brag about.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I was shocked to see that something healthy like Salmon was 380 calories for a 6.6 oz piece of baked unseasoned salmon. However, I think we need to consider the source of the calories. I mean it is true the the Salmon has more caloies than a small Blizzard from DQ. BUT clearly the Salmon is better for you having more protein and essential oils and OMEGA -3 and -6...

I just hate some of the products we but which are "healthy" have sooo much sugar... Like Milk...

Protein and those healthier fats - the upshot of which is you can use lots of low calorie seasonsings with it and get great flavor!
  • fificrazy
    Options
    Jack in the Box Munchie Meal - 1560 calories! Holy crap! I can't believe they market this as a late night "snack" for 1 person! CALORIES NOT INCLUDING THE DRINK!!

Hahaha can't stand fast food places that try to market things as "snacks", like Arby's does it, too, but calorie wise you just KNOW everything will 600+, and to me that's a small meal!
  • tomandshell
    tomandshell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Over 2500 calories for an order of onion rings at Red Robin. Those are apparently a thing of the past for me. But they now advertise unlimited broccoli as a side instead of fries, so there's that.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised to see that a bowl of my favorite soup at Olive Garden was only 130 calories. I had three bowls, left quite full and happy at just under 400 calories. I thought eating there would destroy my diet for the day, but it was actually reasonable.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Lobster and caviar shocked me, both in a good way.... You can literally eat pounds of both forever.
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Outback Steakhouse: Salad, 1 glass of wine, a 10oz steak and broccoli (not even any bread with dinner!) = over 1,000 calories. Whaaat?:cry:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I learned years ago that a blooming onion from Outback Steakhouse has 2000 calories in it, 160 grams of fat and over 4000 milligrams of sodium. And that doesn't count the dipping sauces they bring with it. I know it's meant to be shared, but it's an onion!

I used to work at Outback, and people would always ask me if I ate the Bloomin' Onion all of the time on account of my employee discount. Of course I always replied with, "Yes! I eat it constantly! It is the best!" It is the easiest thing to sell on the menu. But really, I would be thinking to myself, "Are you crazy? I hardly ever eat that thing. It has a zillion calories!" People think that because it's an onion, it must be healthy.
  • fificrazy
    Options
    What did me in? The cheesecake! At 600 calories per tiny, delicious slice.

Yup. That is what the people who say, "eat what you want, just in moderation" don't get.

Even if you have the willpower to only eat a tiny slice of cheesecake at a sitting, it is still an enormous amount of of your daily allotment of calories and you will be hungry again in no time and need to eat again, easily going over your allotment for the day.

Some foods there is just no practical way to eat in moderation. Unless you are one of those people who eats a spoonful of some treat and is satisfied.

This x10000000. "I eat ice cream every day!!!" Cool story bro. 1/4 of a cup is a silly amount to brag about.

I'll eat about a cup of ice cream in total for the day. But while I love my sweets, I guess I'm fine with smaller portions of real meal time foods haha. So, it's true, most people do find a balance- if you honor your true cravings instead of eating out of habit or to get a brain buzz. I guess being content with a small portion of anything is just hard for someone with binging or reactive eating problems to comprehend?
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Wraps - as everyone else already mentioned - were a huge shocker for me!

Raisins! I made a homemade trail mix once and was horrified when I added the recipe up and found it was hundreds of calories per 1/2 cup!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was shocked that some restaurants have salads that have more calories than their steaks. I also can't beleive that some muffins have to calories that they have. I used to love pumpkin muffins until I found out that they are 500 calories a piece. Just not worth it. Same with pasta and rice. A little, almost microscopic, bit is not worth it.
  • TLynn0568
    Options
    With the exception of French Onion Soup, I would say everything on the TGI Friday's menu. I ended up with just soup for dinner because I couldn't justify the calories for how the food tastes. Just not worth it.
  • IrishGabriella
    IrishGabriella Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    But is one small whole meal wrap not better calorie wise then 2 slices of white bread?

Bagels were a shock for me at how many cals were in them.
  • TLynn0568
    Options
    Yeah, raisins got me too!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Pork shoulder shocks me every time. It's incredibly calorie dense, so I tend to stay away from it. When I do end up eating it, though, it's like a constant re-learning process. "Oh! So THAT'S why I don't eat pork shoulder anymore."
  • charlisobel
    charlisobel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just hate some of the products we but which are "healthy" have sooo much sugar... Like Milk...

Yes, milk was quite a surprise to me. Especially since unsweetened almond milk has only 30 cals and almost twice the calcium

:love:

Now I must immediately try almond milk...