What do to do with your big clothes when you get small?

Options

Replies

• Elafacwen
    Elafacwen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The better clothes I consigned at a second hand clothing store and actually made about $30. The rest I dropped off at Goodwill.
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel that if you keep them as a just in case you are more likely to gain the weight back. I get rid of mine, because I know I will never gain that weight back.
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    I sold mine to a thrift store and used the money to buy new clothes that fit!
  • uhhhDoodle
    uhhhDoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I go through them and the raggedy ones I turn into just that - rags.

Otherwise I donate them
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I went to the place where I bought my last suit and asked who did their alterations.
    Took my suits there.
    Asked if she did jeans, yes, so I had several pair of my newer ones altered.
    Gave some shirts to a relative.
    Remainder went to the Salvation Army.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your big clothes!!!

I've decided that I never want to fit in that size again, so why bother holding on to my old clothes? Besides, I'd rather have my closet and dresser containing clothes that look great on me right now rather than stuff that does not fit. Clothes that don't fit are just excess clutter, and I DON'T have the space to store them in my apartment.

I get rid of my too-big clothes and get 'new' just-right clothes at clothing swaps. Swaps are great for those of us who can't afford to keep buying new clothes only to discard them a few months later as we continue to lose weight. About half of my current wardrobe is the result of attending swaps and castoffs from friends also pursuing weight loss.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    I would LOVE to set fire to my fat clothes!! I will donate other stuff but the fire thing would just be great.
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I get rid of my too-big clothes and get 'new' just-right clothes at clothing swaps. Swaps are great for those of us who can't afford to keep buying new clothes only to discard them a few months later as we continue to lose weight. About half of my current wardrobe is the result of attending swaps and castoffs from friends also pursuing weight loss.

Could you elaborate on the swaps? Assuming you don't have friends you can swap with where do you go to locate these?? Because I definitely can't afford new clothes for every size I lose. Thanks!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I've donated SO many already. Its funny because a couple years ago I donated all my smaller clothes that didn't fit...now I wish I had those lol. I'm never going to wear my big clothes again though!
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Donated em all, save one pair of 'Fat Jeans' for comparison purposes when I get done. I will hang on to those as a reminder... but the rest of them... I treated them like Cortez - burn the boats, there's no going home.

I don't want to have them on the back shelf as a just in case. There is no just in case. I took all mine all mine to Goodwill particularly as I'm shopping the sales at Goodwill to restock the shelves with the sizes I'm in now. I'm down 4 pants sizes, and the old ones were looking like I bought them at a sail shop.

I've been able to resupply my closet for less than $15.00 so far by shopping second hand - figure I can give my old ones to them to help someone else.
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My wife donated them all to charity. I wish I could have kept my largest jeans back for comparison but she beat me to it. I did manage to save one shirt which I always wore when I was at my heaviest.

I wouldn't want to keep them. I love the feeling now of going in the wardrobe and anything will fit.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've donated good clothes, binned some, with holes or rips in, and some kept for the material - kept an outfit from my largest fo comparison. I think it's best to donate clothes though, and I can see that's most people's opinion too.
  • maracuya23
    Options
    I'm all for donation/ selling for the most part.

There's a possibility I might get pregnant in the near future, and part of me wants to hang on to my fat clothes because they'd fit again with pregnancy (there's no way I'd otherwise regain). Anyone else hang on to theirs for possible pregnancy?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    The majority I donated to charity and few select items I gave away to friends and family. I kept just a couple items. A 6XL shirt and a 56 waist sized jeanss from when I was at my biggest size
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Donate them to charity or my lovely Mum will alter some of my nicer dresses. :)

I know it can be cathartic but I can't bare the idea of trashing or burning something that is still useful when there's people out there who have nothing, it seems like privileged waste, like a banker using a 50 note to light a cigar xxx
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Donate!
  • lizcraft
    lizcraft Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I donate them and then I shop for smaller clothes for myself. Usually at goodwill or salvation army stores. If I am still needing to lose weight I tend to buy used rather than brand new. It is a waste of money to buy new just to lose more weight and not fit in them in a month or two. Donating them helps to pay it forward to someone who really needs them.
  • Give them away. Either to a family member or a charity.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a worthy charity, sell them at a consignment shop or just keep them to remind yourself of how far you have come.
  • fjcone
    fjcone Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been visiting the donation box at a nearby church.