It's the little things..........

Options
I don't post too many topics, when I do.......I do so hoping to make an impact on at least 1 person here. Because when I post, it's something that's important to me and I feel the desire to share.....it's never anything profound, in my eyes, but to someone else it may be just what they need. I have stumbled across so many things on here that make me go 'oh yea! That person totally gets it' or 'huh, never thought of it that way before'.

We all know it's the little things that eventually add up to the big things. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in negative thoughts I don't see the little things......... I get wrapped up in 'gosh, I look/feel fat but my weight didn't go up today', or 'dang, I don't feel like I've lost anything even though I'm down 76 lbs'.

So here are my newest 'little things' that make me realize the things I'm doing towards my weight loss goals are worth it:

1) as I was leaning against the kitchen counter talking to my hubby......my hip started to really hurt. Confused, I touched my side and noticed it hurt because my hip bone was there- lost the padding that was there not long ago.
2) when rubbing a knot on my shoulder the other night, I noticed I can really feel my shoulder blades AND my entire collar bone. Made me realize that damn, I'm getting boney!
3) when laying down- I can see my hip bones!!! Haven't seen them since I was 19!
4) my tummy may not be toned, but damn it's nice to fit in a size 10!
5) after a long Christmas break and not wearing slacks to work for that time- crap! My pants were falling off, time for a shopping trip!!

We all have those little moments that jolt us back to reality and make us feel great!! What are YOUR little things you've noticed lately??

Replies

• averyrose3
    Options
    Thank you.
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm still at the beginning of my journey, so my "little things" are quite little, but still worth acknowledging, so here goes...

-My pants are fitting better. I don't feel like dressing for work is a fight against my clothes every morning.
    -I have more energy.
    -Since restricting carbs in my diet, I don't feel powerless to cravings. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I cave into temptation, but it's happening much less frequently now and it is almost always planned.
    -I feel like I have hit my stride as far as diet/exercise/nutrition.
    -I am sleeping better
    -The skinny pants I use to measure myself are fitting much better, not quite yet ready to wear in public, but much improved.
    -My face has gotten a bit thinner.
    -When I am tempted to snack, I have a glass of water or chew some gum first.
    -I am more patient than when I began and am understanding this is truly about taking 1 day at a time.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    that I wear a size 7 & they are to big.... look out size 5......:wink:
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I was looking at some photos at work and my coworker asked who was that in the photo - it was my before photo (and he knew me at that time). It takes photos for me to really see the difference.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    1) as I was leaning against the kitchen counter talking to my hubby......my hip started to really hurt. Confused, I touched my side and noticed it hurt because my hip bone was there- lost the padding that was there not long ago.
    2) when rubbing a knot on my shoulder the other night, I noticed I can really feel my shoulder blades AND my entire collar bone. Made me realize that damn, I'm getting boney!
    3) when laying down- I can see my hip bones!!! Haven't seen them since I was 19!
    5) after a long Christmas break and not wearing slacks to work for that time- crap! My pants were falling off, time for a shopping trip!!

OP...the same FIVE things you posted (but no hubby here).

I have hip bones, ribs and collar bone/shoulder blades...never saw (or felt, sigh) them before.
    On Friday I HAD to shop as the pants I wanted to wear for work meeting (tomorrow) size 16 were way too big. I got Chino's in size 10 (I never was a size 10, ever!!)

My face is thinner as is the rest of me as I'm getting comments from neighbors, waitresses, the mail man & school crossing guards, & total strangers that have seen me outside walking since July (when I got my Fitbit).

Co workers have asked for my secret (Eat Less, Move More) and have been calling me 'skinny minnie'. LOL
    I am WAY less weight than I lied about on my drivers license (and truly need to find out about getting new pic taken)
    Being the weight I once was, but over half my life ago...NICE feeling indeed.
  • brooookeexo
    brooookeexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Little things really do keep you going
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! My unexpected moments of joy in the past few years

1. Thought I could never run because of my damaged knee (plus I run funny). Started Pilates 2 years ago and one day...noticed that my knee no longer hurt or swell up, I could walk fast, I could run...I could run well! My legs have became strong and toned, not for vanity but for health. Have moved onto very challenging workouts like HIIT since, with plenty of jumping.

2. Genetics dictate that I tend to accumulate fat on my back. Previously, I only did old-styled gym...all those weight lifting did not really tone my back as expected. Out of sight, out of mind! So totally surprised to see a toned back after only a year into Pilates. A toned back, me? All other bodyweight training, HIIT workouts help to maintain a strong back too. Proud :)
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    You should be proud of your weight loss!
  • YouAreYourChoices
    YouAreYourChoices Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing it really gets you thinking about all the little things!
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    I'm still at the beginning of my journey, so my "little things" are quite little, but still worth acknowledging, so here goes...

-My pants are fitting better. I don't feel like dressing for work is a fight against my clothes every morning.
    -I have more energy.
    -Since restricting carbs in my diet, I don't feel powerless to cravings. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I cave into temptation, but it's happening much less frequently now and it is almost always planned.
    -I feel like I have hit my stride as far as diet/exercise/nutrition.
    -I am sleeping better
    -The skinny pants I use to measure myself are fitting much better, not quite yet ready to wear in public, but much improved.
    -My face has gotten a bit thinner.
    -When I am tempted to snack, I have a glass of water or chew some gum first.
    -I am more patient than when I began and am understanding this is truly about taking 1 day at a time.

Seems to me those are huge things!!! Great work!!!
    Options
    that I wear a size 7 & they are to big.... look out size 5......:wink:

That ROCKS Sam!! I'm happy for you girlie. And a bit jealous :-)
    Options
    I was looking at some photos at work and my coworker asked who was that in the photo - it was my before photo (and he knew me at that time). It takes photos for me to really see the difference.

Yep, me too! It's funny how we have to rely on photos, not our own reflections :-) keep up the wonderful work!
    Options

OP...the same FIVE things you posted (but no hubby here).

I have hip bones, ribs and collar bone/shoulder blades...never saw (or felt, sigh) them before.
    On Friday I HAD to shop as the pants I wanted to wear for work meeting (tomorrow) size 16 were way too big. I got Chino's in size 10 (I never was a size 10, ever!!)

My face is thinner as is the rest of me as I'm getting comments from neighbors, waitresses, the mail man & school crossing guards, & total strangers that have seen me outside walking since July (when I got my Fitbit).

Co workers have asked for my secret (Eat Less, Move More) and have been calling me 'skinny minnie'. LOL
    I am WAY less weight than I lied about on my drivers license (and truly need to find out about getting new pic taken)
    Being the weight I once was, but over half my life ago...NICE feeling indeed.

125 lost?! INCREDIBLE!!!! Way to go lady, that's wonderful! I've gone from a tight 18w to a 10.........how did you not need to buy pants from a 16 to a 10?? :noway:

Don't you love Your fitbit?! I know I do :-)
    Options
    Excellent post! My unexpected moments of joy in the past few years

1. Thought I could never run because of my damaged knee (plus I run funny). Started Pilates 2 years ago and one day...noticed that my knee no longer hurt or swell up, I could walk fast, I could run...I could run well! My legs have became strong and toned, not for vanity but for health. Have moved onto very challenging workouts like HIIT since, with plenty of jumping.

2. Genetics dictate that I tend to accumulate fat on my back. Previously, I only did old-styled gym...all those weight lifting did not really tone my back as expected. Out of sight, out of mind! So totally surprised to see a toned back after only a year into Pilates. A toned back, me? All other bodyweight training, HIIT workouts help to maintain a strong back too. Proud :)

That's great!!!! Running is great, isn't it?! Keep up the awesome work :bigsmile:
    Options
    You should be proud of your weight loss!

Thanks! I am, just need the small reminders from time to time and really need to be less critical of myself daily.
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing it really gets you thinking about all the little things!

you are welcome!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I've only lost 4 pounds of 35 but yesterday I put my hands on my hips and noticed that I have the beginnings of a waistline again.:bigsmile:
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Still a long way to go, so no surprise boneiness yet. But I did get a flash of neck hollow yesterday - rather surprised me! A co-worker I've not seen for months saw me at lunch today and immediately noticed I'd lost weight. Oh, and I've got much better balance now. I can stand on one leg to put my tights on in a morning - six months ago I had to sit down or fall over. Don't know if that's the weight loss or the core exercises I've been doing - but it's great. Plus my belly doesn't stick out any more when I lie flat on my back. It's not a big hollow, but it's a lot less of a mountain than it used to be!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

That's great!!!! Running is great, isn't it?! Keep up the awesome work :bigsmile:

Oh, I don't run regularly, but I have so much energy to burn that it is nice to be able to speed walk or run from A to B when the mood strikes. Last summer, while waiting for my kids at their swimming classes, I decided to run around the track. It was quite therapeutic. Mostly I am still an indoor workout person. Finding stuff to do outdoor is the next goal.

I started at 134 and now 110-113. A significant loss in size for my 5'3" frame, and back to my size S/Size 4 top/Size 2 pants. Better muscle tones esp legs and back, very important.

Keep up your great work.
    Options

Oh, I don't run regularly, but I have so much energy to burn that it is nice to be able to speed walk or run from A to B when the mood strikes. Last summer, while waiting for my kids at their swimming classes, I decided to run around the track. It was quite therapeutic. Mostly I am still an indoor workout person. Finding stuff to do outdoor is the next goal.

I started at 134 and now 110-113. A significant loss in size for my 5'3" frame, and back to my size S/Size 4 top/Size 2 pants. Better muscle tones esp legs and back, very important.

Keep up your great work.

I've never been one to exercise, mainly due to undiagnosed asthma. I got on a daily steroid and rescue inhaler and it's been night and day difference! I started the Run a 5k app in June last year, and fell in love. I can only run outside for long distances though, as my attention span isn't great. It's a struggle now that it's freezing but hubby and I plan to start running at 5am again once it arms up. We only run 30 min (about 3 miles) 5-6 mornings a week.