Thoughts on the weather situation?

13»

Replies

• Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    Meanwhile in Canada we have been having winter weather this winter.

And you're sending it to us in MI. We were colder than Alaska almost the entire month of January. In January there were only 4 days that didn't snow. This is not a normal winter. It's sad when 20 degrees F feels warm and you walk outside without a coat on because you've gotten used to the -20 degree weather.
    04e0d3b4-1550-4c3b-ab90-d7d9bcc468c0_zps1b8b8048.png
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Fact....I am in southwest Ohio. So far this winter we are 24.6 inches over the average snow fall. We are 11 degrees colder than the average winter.

Another fact....I fricken HATE THIS STUFF.

Opinion....Why is it that no matter what happens with the weather, the people that believe in global warming, blame this on global warming. If it snowing a lot, raining a lot, windier than normal, hotter or colder than normal, they blame it all on global warming.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member

Opinion....Why is it that no matter what happens with the weather, the people that believe in global warming, blame this on global warming. If it snowing a lot, raining a lot, windier than normal, hotter or colder than normal, they blame it all on global warming.

Because scientists have proven that global warming leads to all kinds of extreme weather, not just heat. So extreme weather in any sense can be related to it.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

"Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position."

But y'know, what do scientists know about science, right?

Actually , this was debunked. We have been in a cooling phase for around the last 13 years, when this scientific evidence was confirmed all over the world the Al Gorians changed the the tune to climate change. We are still no where near the warm period experienced in the Middle Ages. Less than 20,000 years ago Wooly mammoths were stomping around Bowling Green Kentucky. Why were they there? Because the Laurentide ice sheet covered America. Did no one learn anything in school? The climate is always changing. Are you seriously expecting us to believe the campfires of a few hundred thousand Homo Sapiens caused the melting of an ice sheet (one of many throughout history) that existed for 2.6 million years. You are aware that the continents used to be part of one huge continent and that every day the planet changes and the continents shift. The volcano, Mt Pinatubo, with one explosion put more toxins in the atmosphere than Mans entire time on Earth. You don't have to believe me, look for yourself. Every fact I presented is scientifically verifiable all over the planet. Good luck finding any Climatologist who will go on record with evidence of proof of Man made Global Warming. There are so many real problems- deforestation, water and air pollution, habitat loss. This is just not one of them.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member

"Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position."

Actually , this was debunked. We have been in a cooling phase for around the last 13 years, when this scientific evidence was confirmed all over the world the Al Gorians changed the the tune to climate change. We are still no where near the warm period experienced in the Middle Ages. Less than 20,000 years ago Wooly mammoths were stomping around Bowling Green Kentucky. Why were they there? Because the Laurentide ice sheet covered America. Did no one learn anything in school? The climate is always changing. Are you seriously expecting us to believe the campfires of a few hundred thousand Homo Sapiens caused the melting of an ice sheet (one of many throughout history) that existed for 2.6 million years. You are aware that the continents used to be part of one huge continent and that every day the planet changes and the continents shift. The volcano, Mt Pinatubo, with one explosion put more toxins in the atmosphere than Mans entire time on Earth. You don't have to believe me, look for yourself. Every fact I presented is scientifically verifiable all over the planet. Good luck finding any Climatologist who will go on record with evidence of proof of Man made Global Warming. There are so many real problems- deforestation, water and air pollution, habitat loss. This is just not one of them.

Did you even look at the link? There were several citations dated from 2009-2013, this is directly off the current NASA website. Where are your sources? Did you miss the part where 97% of scientists agree with the fact of human-caused climate change? Yes the climate has always changed, but there's a big difference between past natural changes and what's happening now.
  • I live in Georgia and lately it can LITERALLY be 70 degrees one day and 20 the next, Can't wait until winter ends
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    it is a disaster... wanted to walk but it raining.. hate it
    i prefer the snow .. slip and hit my head on the floor :laugh:
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    England has had some really bad rain this year, tons of flooding.... something is definitely up.

Also, not sure about an ice age, because I don't personally feel it has been that cold, but there's still a bit of winter left so who knows.

I'm just glad we haven't had any snow where I am!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member

Holy cow. I can't even...
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    My thoughts on the weather situation? It's winter. Winter tends to be cold and sometimes snowy. People just b!tch about it more in February.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member

You already started drinking? It is only Thursday afternoon!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    2013 was the second-hottest year on record without an El Niño

http://www.skepticalscience.com/news.php?n=2391
    Over the past decade, we've seen less warming at the surface and more warming in the oceans. This has been in large part due to a change in Pacific Ocean cycles. We're currently in a cycle that tends to produce more La Niña than El Niño events, which has resulted in the oceans accumulating more heat, leaving less energy than normal to warm the atmosphere. This in turn has led to the widespread myth that the slowed rate of increase of global surface temperatures means we no longer have to worry about global warming, or that its consequences won't be as bad as expected.
    What's also interesting is that despite being a Neutral year, 2013 was hotter than 1998, which saw one of the strongest El Niño events on record. This tells us that humans have caused as much global warming over the past 15 years as a powerful El Niño event. The difference is that an El Niño is a temporary event, while human-caused global warming is permanent, unless we can quickly pull a lot of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.

Facts are fun.
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member

Because scientists have proven that global warming leads to all kinds of extreme weather, not just heat. So extreme weather in any sense can be related to it.

So, the Ice Age was because of Global Warming?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    My thoughts: Fucck winter
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    [/quote]
    But it's Thirsty Thursday! :drinker:

Oh and...
    f9232c7b-c9a5-490f-a8d2-12b0679d224e_zpseca5f040.png

Sorry, couldn't help it.:tongue:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    But it's Thirsty Thursday! :drinker:

Oh and...
    f9232c7b-c9a5-490f-a8d2-12b0679d224e_zpseca5f040.png

Sorry, couldn't help it.:tongue:
    [/quote]

:laugh: you make an excellent point. That poster should carry on with the drinking!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

[citation needed]

I love when people go off trying to disprove science with random rants with no evidence to back it up. Just proves they have no understanding of science in the first place.