Bulky Female Bodies

Options
A friend of mine sent this to me today and I figured I would pass it along:

http://fitandfeminist.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/fear-of-a-bulky-female-body/

Obviously I am not a woman but I do think that the messages here are pretty positive and helpful.

Also, please notice the comment by "Casey" in the comments section. Yikes!

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yes, alot of women do believe this, I've had a couple of friends that have said this to me.

Really, they must think I'm not very successful with my weight lifting as I've so not bulked up lol!! :laugh:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Good article...thanks for sharing!

I had a skinny girl at work tell me she'd like to try spinning classes, but "I don't want to get huge man-thighs"....ugh!!
    :noway:
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My friend sent me a text the other day that said she didn't want me to get too bulky because then she'd get scared... I didn't know what to say to that...lol. Mind you I started strength training only a month ago.
  • wshultz14
    wshultz14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have always liked a little weight training. I don't use free weights, but I like to us a Weider Cable and weight machine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If women with muscles look like men....

do men without muscles look like women???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    What's problematic to me is how many describe "bulky". There is a difference between being "bulky" and being "muscular". Here's thread I made on it awhile back.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511229--bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition?hl=bulky+vs+muscular

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Jessica Biel is hot. 10/10 would threesome with her and her hot husband.

That is all.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    My friend sent me a text the other day that said she didn't want me to get too bulky because then she'd get scared

That is pretty much the dumbest thing i've ever heard. She'd get scared. Really.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I detest the implication that musculature and fitness are inherently masculine traits, throughout our society, and that to be feminine immediately implicates you must be slender, light and fragile-looking.

edit; obviously not my thoughts on the article, but more generally surrounding the issue
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Lol! :laugh:
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Actually if you read the whole article, they do basically say that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    My friend sent me a text the other day that said she didn't want me to get too bulky because then she'd get scared... I didn't know what to say to that...lol. Mind you I started strength training only a month ago.
    Goes to show how some are really uniformed on how fitness really works. Lots of misinformation is passed on by some of the women's magazines that deal in fashion and gossip.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My friend sent me a text the other day that said she didn't want me to get too bulky because then she'd get scared

That is pretty much the dumbest thing i've ever heard. She'd get scared. Really.

^^Lol, this, totally.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    OOHHHH That Casey guy in the comments is just looking to get smacked one day.. Everything he said just made my blood boil..
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

I find bulky women scary!!!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I find bulky women scary!!!

BOO!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have the right to take up space. I have the right to be powerful. I have the right to be able to defend myself, and viciously defend myself against sexual and physical violence.

I also agree with the article that "feminine" and "masculine" are BS terms that defy definition. Anyone who hurls "unfeminine" at me as an insult can kindly suck my left hazelnut.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think I have a new favorite blog.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I WANT to get "bulky". I WANT people to look at me and say "Dayum. Nice muscles!"

But then again I'm a huge fan of muscles on women so I could be slightly biased.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What's problematic to me is how many describe "bulky". There is a difference between being "bulky" and being "muscular". Here's thread I made on it awhile back.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511229--bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition?hl=bulky+vs+muscular

IDEA Fitness member

THIS THIS THIS.

I have to agree- I find it very annoying people not being able to identify the difference between what is muscular and bulky. They can be similar- and connected- but most of the time it's just not the same ball park.