Need to put on weight

Options
After getting seriously ill last year and losing my appetite have lost a ton of weight, at 106 lbs and being 5ft 10 and not having a period for nearly a year I'm growing more and more concerned about my health , I was just wondering the best way to put on weight that won't result in me getting diabetes or high blood pressure. I love most foods and am not allergic to anything.

Replies

• HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do you eat very little amounts of calories per day?
    If so, I would start off small and work your way up as time goes on, because to go from eating small amounts a day to eating huge meals daily, it will hurt your stomach and you'll bloat up.
  • FrankieFrench1
    FrankieFrench1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think I do, I usually only eat when I feel hungry which isn't often unfortunately, what foods would you recommend to add? I was quite overweight at 180lbs before I got ill that was about 3 years ago, I would like to get up to at least 125lbs but I'm scared I've left it too late.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble with the Volume of food needed for your calorie needs, try more calorie dense foods:
    avocado
    nuts and nut butters, seeds
    butter and oil
    full-fat dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk, ice cream)
  • FrankieFrench1
    Options
    Aren't those high in sat fats though? (As well as good fats) but surely the amount I would need to eat would put me over my sat fat needs?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    This is still an area of controversy, but the latest research indicates saturated fats are not associated with increased cardiovascular disease.

If you are eating a balanced diet, do not worry about avoiding certain foods unless they are triggers for you. Developing diabetes or high blood pressures from eating a certain way is pretty much not going to happen in your case. The primary causes of those problems is excess body fat.

Your hunger doesn't seem to be a good guide for you due to your illness, so I think tracking and making sure you eat enough and getting used to eating more is going to be important to you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Have you seen your doctor recently about your weight? Being that low may cause additional issues with the best way to gain weight.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Just as an example, and I know everyone is different, but I'm pretty sure that I go over my "recommended" sugars and fats daily, but my blood sugar is low/normal, my blood pressure is low/normal, and my total cholesterol is low.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    do you currently work out /lift?

I would say figure out your maintenance calories and slowly start eating back to that number. At the same time, it would not hurt to start lifting heavy with a program of compound movements - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, pull ups/chin ups, bench press - starting strength and new rules of lifting are great resources….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oh and if your fats are 30% of your intake it should not be an issue..a good macro split would be 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fat
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking like an orthorexic.

You are way, way underweight, any calories are healthy calories.

You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods, or stay thin by eating the right foods. Fatness comes from sustained eating of too much food for a long time, no matter what that food it.

A healthy diet means eating everything in moderation, including indulgences.
  • FrankieFrench1
    Options
    I have and they just told me to eat more, my last blood work was in August and came back satisfactory so I don't know if that's a good indecater of my health right now or not, there is history of high blood pressure on one side of my family so I'm always watching my sodium intake, my friend who is a pt told me I should not start weight training until I get to at least 60kg because if I started now I would only burn more muscle, weather that is right or not I don't have a clue. That's a lot of protien! I'm quite poor and can't afford to buy loads of meat or protien powder so I really don't know how I'd reach that goal. Haha I understand how might sound like a health nut I'm really not it's just I would hate to get to a good weight then find out I'm borderline diebetic or 40% body fat, I understand moderation so the thought of probably having to get 500 cals from high suger, salty things every day does freak me out just a wee bit.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm quite poor and can't afford to buy loads of meat or protien powder so I really don't know how I'd reach that goal.
    Although you aren't a bodybuilder, this video would be appropriate for you. Gives you some ideas on how to shop and what foods to look for to get some calories without spending a ton of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNctsEFp7Zs&feature=youtu.be
    Haha I understand how might sound like a health nut I'm really not it's just I would hate to get to a good weight then find out I'm borderline diebetic or 40% body fat, I understand moderation so the thought of probably having to get 500 cals from high suger, salty things every day does freak me out just a wee bit.

As Waldo said earlier, these things take eating a lot of food for a long time. If you are just paying a little bit of attention to your body, you will adjust well before you become diabetic or get 40% body fat.
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Frankie,
    I'm also very much underweight at the moment-although slightly more complex background, relapse after previous recovery from Anorexia.
    I also dont have alot of money to fling around on food unfortunatly, and good quality protein sources are expensive. I have started taking Pulsin Pea protein. It seemed from comparison and research to be one of the 'cleanest' forms of protein, and is very user friendly-mixes in very well to porridge, savory sauces/soups and yogurts. 'Pulsin' also do a hemp, soya and I think rice protein powder, all with slighlty differing nutritional breakdowns.
    Hope this helps!
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention sorry its quite cheap, and the pack lasts along time. I bought it from a health food shop for around £6.00
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a fabulous healthy source of calories and "good" fats, perhaps start using liberal amounts of olive oil to roast potatoes, mix with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and put on salads. Olive oil, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, cheese and basil on pasta. Fry rice in sesame oil, and stir fry in some veg and egg.

Also museli and whole fat milk for breakfast.

And as others have said avocados, nut butters etc, don't worry about going over recommended sat fat you will go over most of your recommended macros gaining weight, get to a healthy weight first and then worry about cutting down sat fats, getting your weight up is the most vital thing now sat fat is a minor issue for you at present.
  • FrankieFrench1
    Options
    Thanks for the useful advice so glad no ones said something stupid like 'omgzzz just eat a burgerz' I've bookmarked the video to watch later thanks. Hlm77 I'm very sorry to hear that I can only imagine how hard putting on weight is for you thank you though I'll have to look around does it taste nice? I know I shouldn't worry about silly macro % but when all you hear is how bad too much of something is for you it does kinda make you think.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the useful advice so glad no ones said something stupid like 'omgzzz just eat a burgerz' I've bookmarked the video to watch later thanks. Hlm77 I'm very sorry to hear that I can only imagine how hard putting on weight is for you thank you though I'll have to look around does it taste nice? I know I shouldn't worry about silly macro % but when all you hear is how bad too much of something is for you it does kinda make you think.

I know what you mean but those guidelines are for people who are struggling to maintain or lose weight and are at risk from their bodyfat physical makeup, it doesn't apply to you as even if you got to the lower end of your healthy weight by eating alot more sat fat (not saying Maccy D's everyday but peanut butter and dairy will be absolutely fine to help acheive your goal) it wouldn't be physically possible for you to have an unhealthy bodyfat percentage so don't worry about it and ignore sat fat macros for now, I'm sure your doctor will agree. Take care hun and good luck x
  • FrankieFrench1
    Options
    Thank you! That's put a lot of my fear to rests, what about suger though? I know that all carbs are turned into suger in the body no matter what source, some just have added vitamins and fiber, so should I ignore suger guidelines too?
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    I have put on 10lbs in a little over a month. I am currently doing stronglifts 5x5 and eating around 3K calories a day. My bodyfat has stayed the same.

My meals:

Breakfast
    A glass of prune juice with creatine monohydrate
    4 eggs with 2 pieces of cheese
    2 hashbrown patties
    16oz of whole milk

Lunch
    Whatever I want usually. As long as it add up to 1K calories

Dinner (also post workout)
    a shake made from 12oz of whole milk
    4oz of heavy cream
    1 scoop of protein
    1 Tsp of honey
    4 Tsp of peanut butter

Oh, and I had to gradually increase my food intake. I didn't just start eating like this in one day.
  • FrankieFrench1
    Options
    Oh wow that's a lot of cals I don't think I could ever eat 3k! I've worked out my TDEE at 1800 so do I need to add 500 to that? Or is that still to low? 2300 doesn't seem that hard not if I can drink half of the cals.