Cold Showers for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I shall make my boyfriend read this thread next time he complains about having to take a cold shower again.

Thanks OP!
  • beedee201
    Options
    Oh no!! I would much rather spend an extra 5 minutes on the elliptical than burn a couple calories this way!
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    i'll stick with my very hot showers, thank you
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That sounds horrible!

Oh man...yeah...wow

I'll stick to hot baths and stay in a size 16 I guess haha
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I just took my first one and OMG the cold shower was terrifying!!! But as you near the end your body starts to get used to the temperature. Doctors have said it increases weight loss and helps build muscle because the temperature increases your glucose intake. Pretty neat but not too bad. I think I'll take them for a month and see what happens.

Can that month be June or July instead of THE DEAD OF WINTER. You are gonna drive mama's and grandma's across the world crazy with that ish. I bet you're gonna go out in the rain with your hair wet next? And what else walk on the cold ground with no shoes on?

gc5.gif?w=610

ETA: ^that dangling participle brought to you by...I miss jof. Where jof? MFP y u no jof?
    Dangling participles will get you photobanned.
  • beautyisvanity
    Options
    lol its just an idea I heard it might be a myth but if you dont want to try it nobodys forcing you to. I just wanted to share some info I happened to stumble upon. I thought a few others might be interested. I guess not lol. It might be another one of those theories that doesnt work but it wont kill me to take a cold shower every now and then so no I dont feel stupid.
  • beautyisvanity
    Options
    and I'm not confused. I know about the white/brown fat that is what I am referring to and it does help you get more of the brown fat to help burn the white fat by starting with a hot shower and ending with a cold one. I never thought this thread would cause so much controversy. No one is forcing any of you to ditch your hot showers and opt for cold ones.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair in cold to keep my color. I live In mn...I can tell you cold does jack for metabolism...those doctors are quacks
    I live in MN too so I'm cold all the time! Does nothing for my weight loss!!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has already mentioned it, but eating disordered people might also take cold showers just for the purpose of "burning calories".
    I'd rather not eat a snack or exercise 10 minutes more than taking a cold shower to burn X calories. You probably burn more by just sleeping. And you won't get a cold in the meantime.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well, I've always preferred a cold shower to a hot one and I'm still fat sooo....

Yeah.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    cold showers are only good for one think and that is not weight loss
    Myth, it actually does the opposite.:smile:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Looks at temps outside that have been in the -22F to -40F range since October and wonders how she isn't a twig yet seeing as she's consistently stuck in them daily for at least 20-40min at a time depending on when the bus decides to get its butt to her....
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Cold showers won't drop 2 lbs instantly. Its an added thing to help. A workout itself won't make you drop 2 lbs in a day unless extreme measures either. However, 365 days later you might see a small scale difference.

I tried the 20 second option at rinse-off in the shower after a workout. I more or less did not stay under the water so doubt it really did any good. It did shorten my lingering showers and the transition to stepping out was not that bad. Its even better on the skin to shrink pores. If it takes only 20 sec of my shower I'd say its not that bad.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Apparently your body does have to work harder to keep a regular core temperature in cold environments and if you're shivering too that also burns calories but I highly doubt it'd make a huge difference unless you were cold like all year round and I'd much rather just cut a few more calories or do a half-hour workout than be freezing all the time :/
  • rhii_xx
    Options
    Fact: There are zero calories in a cold shower

Also Fact: There are a lot of calories in the hot chocolate with marshmallows I would need to recover from said shower.

Omg :laugh: ^
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Nope, I only take hot showers.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I take cold swims in our pool when the outside temp is above 70. I don't do it for weight loss, though. I do it because 1) I feel freaking AWESOME after (just 10 minutes is enough) and 2) Well, I'm a bit insane. Seriously, though. My joints feel so much better after a cold swim, especially after a long exercise session. There has been some evidence that it improves your sex drive, and white blood cell count, but I didn't do enough research to get to the peer reviewed research, 'cause I felt awesome and didn't care. :laugh: I hate cold showers, though. Just standing around being cold? :huh: No thanks. Cold swims are fun for me, though. I get to splash about in the water, usually doing laps, sometimes doing some resistance training, and get out feeling awesome.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    derpity doo da, derpity day, my oh my what a derpity day...
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I take cold swims in our pool when the outside temp is above 70. I don't do it for weight loss, though. I do it because 1) I feel freaking AWESOME after (just 10 minutes is enough) and 2) Well, I'm a bit insane. Seriously, though. My joints feel so much better after a cold swim, especially after a long exercise session. There has been some evidence that it improves your sex drive, and white blood cell count, but I didn't do enough research to get to the peer reviewed research, 'cause I felt awesome and didn't care. :laugh: I hate cold showers, though. Just standing around being cold? :huh: No thanks. Cold swims are fun for me, though. I get to splash about in the water, usually doing laps, sometimes doing some resistance training, and get out feeling awesome.

Ahhh! Another cold swim aficionado! Even though the water isn't THAT cold, it is cold enough to be invigorating--and, as you have observed, awesome for arthritis (even though it is counter-intuitive for those with arthritis).