Help with a healthy pizza?

Options
SwampWitch666
SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
I've never made my own pizza before and I've been craving pizza like crazy since I've started my diet. I'd really like to custome make a healthy pizza for myself, but I don't really know where to start.

I'm looking for a "yum" factor for as few calories as possible. I know I like chicken and spinach. I've heard that goat cheese is pretty good for you, but are there better/healthier alternatives? And what to season with? I've never really cooked for myself until I started this diet. And I am at a complete loss for the cheese and I don't think a sauce would be necessary...

,,,any suggestions?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I make pizza all the time. Personally, to save on time and stuff I use store bought crust. For the sauce you can use whatever you like: pesto, alfredo, marinara, etc... 1/4 of a cup of marinara is only about 35 calories or so, depending on the brand. I usually use fontana or mozarella cheeses, but I have used ricotta and stuff. Then just what ever topping you like...sausage, pepperoni, chicken, turkey, etc... And load up on veggies.

Cookinglight.com has some really good ideas when it comes to healthier pizzas...I have made several of them. The Turkey Alfredo w/ Spinach and the Roasted Vegetable w/ Ricotta are both really good.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use jamie Oliver's pizza dough recipe -

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/pizza-dough

I roll them out really really thin, so there isn't much dough there at all. I make my own tomato sauce by blending a tin of tomatoes, reducing it down and adding whatever herbs and spices i fancy that day.

Top with very little cheese and lots and lots of roasted veggies - I do a tray of roasted mediterranean veg in the oven with spray oil and oregano. Usually peppers, red onions, courgette (zucchini), and aubegerine (eggplant). I also like spinach, and fresh herbs like basi leaves or rocket sprinkled over are nice too.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe I found for a no dough pizza. I am on a low carb diet, so it may not work for you if you're doing something different. Just something to consider. If it won't work for you, then just ignore it, or store it away for the future???

NO DOUGH PIZZA!!!!!!! This one is a WINNER!!!!
    Gluten Free, Low Carb, Diabetic Friendly!!!!!!
    For when you absolutely want pizza but not all the carbs!!!!!!!

Crust
    1 (8 oz) package of full fat cream cheese, room temperature
    2 eggs
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Topping
    1/2 cup pizza sauce
    1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    toppings - pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, peppers
    Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350.

Lightly spay a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. With a handheld mixer, mix cream cheese, eggs, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese until combined. Spread into baking dish. Bake for 12-15 minutes, our until golden brown. Allow crust to cool for 10 minutes.

Spread pizza sauce on crust. Top with cheese and toppings. Sprinkle pizza with garlic powder. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
  • SwampWitch666
    Options
    That cauliflower crust looks amazing! I've never heard of anything like that!
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    have you ever eaten the cauliflower crust? I've heard of it. is it good?
  • fishergal5
    fishergal5 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the recipes here. I've been craving pizza as well :wink:
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Don't put bottom cheese like pizza chains do. Only apply top cheese. It will still turn out fine.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I've made cauliflower "rice"... it's just OK - but can't complain about a healthy rice alternative for 24 cals/C. I'm guessing the cauliflower crust might be similar. I'm tempted to try the Jamie Oliver recipe myself. Thanks!
  • 1dlevine
    1dlevine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't recall the last time I ate bread. With that being said when it comes to a pizza craving my go to crust is shredded zucchini. To make take two fresh zucchinis and shred them skin and all. Place shreds in a bowl and mix with a half cup of shredded parmesan and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You want the mixture to be almost dough like in that I mean semi pliable. At this stage you can add some fresh herbs or other seasonings you prefer. Shape out mixture in a pizza tin or rectangle pan lined with parchment paper. You can use cooking spray but I hate all the chemicals in it. Place crust in an oven pre-heated to 350 F until golden brown. Let cool and then top with whatever you like.. sauce, cheese, veg, meat.. To keep calories low and portions large I use a half and half mixture of low skim mozzarella and fresh parmesan.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    We make pizza almost every Friday. It's sooo good!

Crust.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust/

That makes two pizzas. We measure 1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese for each one. We like to use turkey pepperoni on it.Half a pizza is 469 calories of yummmmmm.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    turkey pepperoni, and black olives is what I used most recently.
  • tikka29
    tikka29 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I spread a pitta bread with tomato paste , add toppings, sprinkle with light mozzarella and grill, ends up under 300 cals ,
  • ausheli
    ausheli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just finished mine :) I had tomato base with mushroom , baby spinach , fresh basil, cherry tomatoes (from my balcony garden) finished with crumpled feta cheese
  • MissInfiniti
    MissInfiniti Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my favorite food!! I use the lite Thomas English muffins, split in half and use sauce/part-skim mozz. Not as good as real pizza.... but it takes care of my craving. Comes to about 180 calories.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Don't eat pizza. Done.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    meatza..low carb pizza where you make the crust with meat :)

heres a link to the one I always make: http://justinowings.com/meatza-meatza/
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually make pita pizzas. I buy small whole grain pitas that are fairly firm (not as bendy). As for toppings, here are some of the ones I eat most often:

1. Tomato sauce, chicken, broccoli, feta cheese. - the salty feta goes really good with the chicken/broccoli in my opinion.
    2. BBQ Sauce, chicken, mushroom, onion (or green onion), cheddar (can also throw some bacon on if you want). - I love BBQ
    3. Tomato sauce, red onion, tomato, zucchini, goat cheese.
    4. Basil pesto, tomato, goat cheese. (also amazing on a grilled sandwich)
    5. Tomato sauce, Italian turkey sausage, onion, red pepper, mozzarella cheese (or pizza cheese blend).

And a not so healthy but awesomely delicious choice.... perogie pizza!
    Slice some potatoes thinly, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne powder.
    Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway (how long really depends on how thick you slice).
    Spread some sour cream on your crust, top with potatoes, green onion, bacon, cheese (mozza/cheddar/both).
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    For me sometimes time is a huge factor working full time and a mommy.... on that note I can't always make a crust homemade. I found that Flat out wraps make a great thin crust. Just top with sauce and whatever toppings you like. i use a turkey italian sausage sometimes and lots of veggies.
  • SwampWitch666
    Options
    Whole grain pitas sound pretty clever. I do like me a good thin crust. :D