Who thinks all calories do the same things for use?

Options

Replies

• SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    here we go!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Do we really need another post like this?

Food has many properties and "calorie" is one of those properties describing the energy value of that particular food. That variable is the same across different food groups but the other properties that a food has, are NOT the same across different food groups.

So for example, 100 calories of cake compared to 100 calories of chicken, will provide the same energy to the diet. But it will provide a whole bunch of things in addition to energy value that will differ between the two, such as micronutrition, differences in amino acids, fatty acids, differing effects on satiety, palatability/preference. Those additional properties can have an effect on weight loss in that they can effect energy output (one side of the energy balance equation) and quite clearly food selection can effect satiety/adherence which can effect calorie intake.

None of this means a calorie is not a calorie. Calorie deficits are still a fundamental requirement of weight loss and the opposite is true for weight gain. It is still fundamentally the energy balance equation.

QFT

No it won't and that's the point. This it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a deficit is wrong. Not all energy from calories are absorbed by the body at the same quantity.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

We need this like we need another "what counts as water" thread . . .
    Do you think I should eat back my exercise calories?
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Is sugar evil?
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Please fella...tell me, for my own peace of mind...you don't own any horses do you?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Then why read and then add to this thread.

You need it because deep down in places you don't like to talk about - you love it

'tis true, you amuse me . . .:

like a drunken fool stumbling across a parking lot and putting his key in the ignition with a cop watching
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Based on your calorie usage (including the amount of activity you do) MFP sets your calorie goal accordingly so yes you will be eating back (if that's the right phrase) a proportion of your exercise calorie usage.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

You need it because deep down in places you don't like to talk about - you love it

like a drunken fool stumbling across a parking lot and putting his key in the ignition with a cop watching

Your the cat - I'm the string! ????????????
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Is sugar evil?

No.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LOL stirring the pot is right.

I found this link on one of the forums here on MFP.

I read it and found it very informative. Take it for what its worth.

Its a fairly involved article but worth reading if you have the time.

Enjoy

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/
    That was a fun read, thanks. His site is interesting as well.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. You're attacking a strawman.
    Metabolic pathways notwithstanding, if I'm losing a pound a week, I know I have tilted the energy equation in the direction I want if I'm trying to lose weight.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Your the cat - I'm the string! ????????????

:indifferent:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    That's broscience.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Food has many properties and "calorie" is one of those properties describing the energy value of that particular food. That variable is the same across different food groups but the other properties that a food has, are NOT the same across different food groups.

So for example, 100 calories of cake compared to 100 calories of chicken, will provide the same energy to the diet. But it will provide a whole bunch of things in addition to energy value that will differ between the two, such as micronutrition, differences in amino acids, fatty acids, differing effects on satiety, palatability/preference. Those additional properties can have an effect on weight loss in that they can effect energy output (one side of the energy balance equation) and quite clearly food selection can effect satiety/adherence which can effect calorie intake.

None of this means a calorie is not a calorie. Calorie deficits are still a fundamental requirement of weight loss and the opposite is true for weight gain. It is still fundamentally the energy balance equation.
    Side Steel FTW, ladies and gentlemen.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    It doesn't matter. You're attacking a strawman.
    Metabolic pathways notwithstanding, if I'm losing a pound a week, I know I have tilted the energy equation in the direction I want if I'm trying to lose weight.

Okay so maybe I'm the odd one out then - personally I want to know how things work so I can make informed decisions.

That answers most of the questions I had about a lot (not all because some of the members seem really knowledgeable) of the posters on the forums I've entered.

Thanks you've cleared that one up for me.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Oh crap another one of these
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    No it won't and that's the point. This it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a deficit is wrong. Not all energy from calories are absorbed by the body at the same quantity.
    Could you give an example where you're in a deficit but the body keeps the same weight (apart from water weight.)?
    When 'calories' out is more than 'calories in' but the body retains the same total number of calories in the body, could you explain where the extra 'calories out' come from?
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    stirpot_zps5634c54c.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Could you give an example where you're in a deficit but the body keeps the same weight (apart from water weight.)?
    When 'calories' out is more than 'calories in' but the body retains the same total number of calories in the body, could you explain where the extra 'calories out' come from?

Have you heard of the energy equation calculation?

If yes then surely that explains what I mean.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

QFT

No what won't?
This discussion has been closed.