Who thinks all calories do the same things for use?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Do we really need another post like this?

Food has many properties and "calorie" is one of those properties describing the energy value of that particular food. That variable is the same across different food groups but the other properties that a food has, are NOT the same across different food groups.

So for example, 100 calories of cake compared to 100 calories of chicken, will provide the same energy to the diet. But it will provide a whole bunch of things in addition to energy value that will differ between the two, such as micronutrition, differences in amino acids, fatty acids, differing effects on satiety, palatability/preference. Those additional properties can have an effect on weight loss in that they can effect energy output (one side of the energy balance equation) and quite clearly food selection can effect satiety/adherence which can effect calorie intake.

None of this means a calorie is not a calorie. Calorie deficits are still a fundamental requirement of weight loss and the opposite is true for weight gain. It is still fundamentally the energy balance equation.

QFT

No it won't and that's the point. This it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a deficit is wrong. Not all energy from calories are absorbed by the body at the same quantity.

No what won't?

Oomph. In to watch SS school someone. *takes notes*

Nothing wrong with an SS schooling, after all he's the master????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh dear lord…please NOT again …

there are like a million debates on this...
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Some calories taste better than others.

OP, I hate it when people start threads like this just for drama. You had this whole conversation before in a different thread, and by this point you are starting to sound like a religious fanatic yelling at people that his way is the only right way. SCIENCE BE DAMNED!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Food has many properties and "calorie" is one of those properties describing the energy value of that particular food. That variable is the same across different food groups but the other properties that a food has, are NOT the same across different food groups.

So for example, 100 calories of cake compared to 100 calories of chicken, will provide the same energy to the diet. But it will provide a whole bunch of things in addition to energy value that will differ between the two, such as micronutrition, differences in amino acids, fatty acids, differing effects on satiety, palatability/preference. Those additional properties can have an effect on weight loss in that they can effect energy output (one side of the energy balance equation) and quite clearly food selection can effect satiety/adherence which can effect calorie intake.

None of this means a calorie is not a calorie. Calorie deficits are still a fundamental requirement of weight loss and the opposite is true for weight gain. It is still fundamentally the energy balance equation.

end thread/
  • ndj1979
    Options

We need this like we need another "what counts as water" thread . . .
    Do you think I should eat back my exercise calories?

Is sugar evil?

depends if it comes from fruit or is added..
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

OP, I hate it when people start threads like this just for drama. You had this whole conversation before in a different thread, and by this point you are starting to sound like a religious fanatic yelling at people that his way is the only right way. SCIENCE BE DAMNED!

Then why do you join the threads?

If you really hated them you wouldn't take part. But like others you just can't resist.

Welcome to the experiment????????????
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

If you really hated them you wouldn't take part. But like others you just can't resist.

Reported for trying to start drama
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So, I don't mean to encourage this kind of pot stirring, but FWIW...

A calorie is a calorie as a unit of energy, BUT we do have evidence, at this point primarily in dogs and cats, that certain nutrients/foods impact genetic expression to alter weight. This is called nutrigenomics.
    To simplify it - all dogs have basically the same genes - in this case we're focusing on weight-related ones like metabolic rate, fat-burning ability, fat-storage hormones, appetite control, etc. Each of these hundreds of genes codes to make a specific protein that in turn goes on to perform some function. But in some dogs, the activity level (think of it as a volume knob) of those genes is turned up or turned down. This is sort of like how my dad can eat pints of Ben and Jerry's, rarely exercise, but just doesn't put on weight. I can LOOK at that pint and gain weight. We have different genetic expression, even though we share the same genes.

In dogs and cats, we've found that nutrients like myristic acid (found in coconut oil), tomatoes, carrots, pyruvate, L-carnitine, etc actually significantly change the activity of those already-present genes to favor a healthier, more active metabolism. Pets eating the same amount of calories they were eating before (and in some cases more), with no change in exercise, lost significantly more body fat and weight eating a diet containing these nutrients. They also built significantly more lean muscle mass (measured by DEXA scans). Aside from the studies, I have seen several cases firsthand, including my ex's cat. He's gone from 22lb to 14 lb in about 9 months with no change to his caloric intake (which I personally calculated), on the nutrigenomic diet.

There is no reason to think this isn't also true of people, but people are terrible at complying with a test diet for a significant period of time, so the studies have been slower to finish, so we don't know what the specific nutrients would be to have this impact in people.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/centers/nutrition/evr_multi_nutrigenomics_research_pet_food_nutrition
    http://www.hillsvet.com/HillsVetUS/v1/portal/en/us/content/research/nutrition/conf-pro-genomic-intro.pdf

is this real?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I tend to speak up about the things I dislike.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I join them to watch whack jobs like you melt down….
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I tend to speak up about the things I dislike.

Dito.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I'm just hoping English isn't the OP's first langauge and that he was actually trying to stir up another sugar/fat/protein/clean/dirty/flirty debate....
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Hey that's why I start them.

In reference to earlier post - I don't like to do this but I have to disagree with SS on his post but 100 calories of cake compared to 100 calories of chicken doesn't do the same thing for the diet based on the fact a larger percentage of the cake will be lost post digestion and with it will be the energy those calories were carrying.

Sorry science dude.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I'm just hoping English isn't the OP's first langauge and that he was actualltrying to stir up another sugar/fat/protein/clean/dirty/flirty debate....

Yep guilty - although it's spell checking I'm dismal at.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

Is sugar evil?

Does sugar in fruit count or is it healthy?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Is sugar evil?

Does sugar in fruit count or is it healthy?

fruit sugar = not evil
    added sugar = evil
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    In for 18 pages of arguing.

bwahahahaha now that's funny
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options

Hey that's why I start them.

In reference to earlier post - I don't like to do this but I have to disagree with SS on his post but 100 calories of cake compared to 100 calories of chicken doesn't do the same thing for the diet based on the fact a larger percentage of the cake will be lost post digestion and with it will be the energy those calories were carrying.

Sorry science dude.

So what part of the cake will be indigestible? Also, please explain why it's indigestible.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I'm just hoping English isn't the OP's first langauge and that he was actualltrying to stir up another sugar/fat/protein/clean/dirty/flirty debate....

It wasn't the spelling. Maybe that cute lil one in your pic can help you out.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It wasn't the spelling. Maybe that cute lil one in your pic can help you out.

I asked him he didn't know either.
This discussion has been closed.