Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

BMR/TDEE Question

Hi you guys, I've always just gone with the MFP settings on here to set my daily intake of calories, but 1,200 cals is not enough for me. Can somebody please explain to me the BMR and TDEE? Am I supposed to eat my BMR? More? Less? How does TDEE come in to play?

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Most people suggest a 20% cut from TDEE. Don't eat under your bmr
  • noluckducky15
    noluckducky15 Posts: 54 Member
    I'm by no means a professional or an expert, but here's what I've learned about the magic numbers. BMR is your basal metabolic rate, its the rate your body burns in a day without any extra effort. This is the MINIMUM you should be eating in a day and you shouldn't go below this number. TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which is the amount you should eat to maintain your current weight. I eat at a number between the two, and the closer to your BMR you eat, the less you should lose.

Of course there are factors such as exercise, your job, your lifestyle...but I've always followed this and I've had a great amount of success so far. I've lost 72 lbs!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Some people use BMR as a guide to not go below, but the figure alone isn't too important.

For weight loss TDEE is the important one. This is the total number of calories you burn in a day.

The difference between your TDD and the number of calories you eat is the approximate weight loss.

A 500 calorie difference is around 1lb weight loss a week.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Your BMR is what your body needs to function--what is needed to sustain you without any activity. Your TDEE takes in your daily caloric needs taking your activity level into consideration. Be honest about your level of exercise or your TDEE will be too high.

Theoretically, you subtract 500 calories a day from the TDEE to lose a pound per week.

I have a bad metabolism, I have hypothyroidism, so a generic formula doesn't work as well for me. I use BodyMedia (some people use FIT) to see what my daily calorie burn is to help me make sure that deficit happens.

Based on an auto formula, I need 2332 to sustain and would need 1800 daily to lose a pound per week. Yeah ... that doesn't work for me. I stick to around 1500 calories a day. I track the calories in/out with the armband and adjust accordingly.

Here's a TDEE calculator. http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Here is a long read for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Shorter version: BMR is an estimate of the calories you would burn if you were in a coma. TDEE is an estimate of the calories you actually expend in a day going around and doing things. To lose weight, generally speaking, you should eat more than your BMR, but less than your TDEE.

The MFP formula expects you to log every single thing you do, and then eat back the calories you expend. They're all estimates, so results vary on eating back all versus some of those exercise calories. Using TDEE gives you one solid number (usually 10-20% less than TDEE) you don't deviate from regardless of activity, but again, it's an estimate. No one can figure out your body better than you, so don't be afraid to try things.

My own personal experience? I was hungry and miserable on MFP's recommendation (1420/day + exercise), and eating properly was a chore because I exercise in the afternoons. Once I switched to TDEE (1750 flat) it got a lot easier, and I noticed more positive changes in my body, too.
  • kglading
    kglading Posts: 80 Member
    Thank you all for you advice, it turns out I'm eating way less than I should be. I already adjusted my goals on here, so it looks like I'm set to go! =)