Sweet Potato Recipes??

Options

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    This is my favy. It's from PaleOMG and I had it at thanksgiving and it is great!

Serves: 4
    Ingredients
    1lb ground pork sausage
    2 yellow onions, sliced
    1 sweet potato or yam
    1 container of mushrooms, roughly chopped
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 cup pecans, chopped
    2 eggs, beaten
    ⅓ cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
    2 tablespoons fat of choice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    salt and pepper, to taste
    Instructions
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil, throw diced sweet potatoes/yams on it, sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, then set aside.
    While those cook, pull out a large skillet, place it under medium-high heat and place a tablespoon of fat along your minced garlic clove and your mushrooms in it to begin to cook down. Add a bit of salt and pepper and cook until soft. Once they are done cooking, add to a large bowl.
    While your mushrooms are cooking down, add a tablespoon of fat to another large skillet over medium heat and add your sliced onions. Continuously move onions around to help coat and caramelize. The caramelization will take about 10-15 minutes. Add a bit of salt and pepper, to taste.
    When your mushrooms are done cooking, add your pork sausage to the hot mushroom pan (the mushrooms have been removed at this point). Use a wooden spoon to break up sausage and cook until almost cooked through.
    Once the sausage is all done, add mixture to your mushroom bowl to cool. Now beat your eggs, add to your sausage mixture, and add your chicken broth and vinegar, along with your sweet potatoes, pecans, and chopped herbs. Mix well.
    You can now either use a 9×13 baking dish to place your stuffing in OR place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Either way will work.
    Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes, then add your caramelized onions and cooked for 5 more minutes.
    Eat it up!!!! OMG OMG, its so good.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I bake them with apples: Microwave a couple of whole sweet potatoes (prick few times with fork, first) until slightly soft. Cool in bowl of water. Peel skins off. Cut into large chunks. Layer into a deep baking dish with a couple of peeled, cored, chopped apples. Sprinkle all with a little cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg to taste. Can add in a few whole pitted prunes (I love them), or raisins, or dried apricots, or chopped dates, whatever you fancy. Pour about 1/4 cup of apple or orange juice over all. Cover and bake at 350 about 30-40 minutes so potatoes are completely cooked and apples are softened. Can sprinkle top with some chopped walnuts or pecans before serving.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to make veggies - especially this time of year...Roast them in the oven

I suggest mixing & matching to find a flavor combo that works for you..my favorite:

1 Sweet Potato
    2 Parsnips
    1 small onion
    1 red/orange/yellow bell pepper
    1 carrot
    several mushrooms

Chop 'em all up into bite size pieces. Toss with a little EV Olive Oil & balsamic vinegar. Salt & pepper to taste.

spread across a foil lined cookie sheet and roast in a 400 degree oven about 30-40 min or until tender.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe, but I put peanut butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon on mine. I will never eat sweet potatoes any other way.
  • zebes99
    zebes99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    preheat oven to 350

3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into bite size
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp melted butter
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    pinch of ground ginger
    sea salt to taste

toss chopped sweet potatoes and the ingredients together bake for 60 min sitting to coat evenly 2-3 times during cooking.

Yummy!
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just wrap them skin and all in foil bake @ 375 until soft. Unwrap, split open spoon out of skin a pinch of brown sugar mash and enjoy. Caution there will be a puddle of rocket hot liquid left in the foil.....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I also dry them out and take them on hikes.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Add the Sweet Potatoes to some Spinach to get a tasty Aloo Saag!

Sweet Potatoes
    Spinach
    Onion
    Ginger
    Garlic
    Coriander
    Cumin
    Cinnamon
    Turmeric
    Garam Masala
    Cloves
    Cayenne Pepper
    Tomato
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Do you have any idea how much sugar is in sweet potatoes? You might as well just eat a snickers bar.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do you have any idea how much sugar is in sweet potatoes? You might as well just eat a snickers bar.

They aren't beets.
  • sjohnny
    Options

They aren't beets.

I can't argue with the science here. I guess I'll have to concede.
  • sjohnny
    Options

They aren't beets.

Meanwhile. I'm off to make snickers borscht.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

They aren't beets.

Meanwhile. I'm off to make snickers borscht.

Yes buts its 'good sugar' (just joking). In for recipes - love my sweet potato (in moderation of course)
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Saute boiled sweet potato cubes with cinnamon . Remove from the pan. Deglaze the pan with orange juice (as little as necessary). Pour the pan sauce over the sweet potatos. Yum yum!

i have no idea what this mean

give me steps to complete

Here is a facebook page that has picture recipes. If you look at the albums, you can see that there are lots of recipes and in the pictures lots of good healthy ideas:

https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet

I love The Sassy Gourmet! She rocks!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    bump for reference :happy:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    On the dinner plate from the bottom up:

Mashed sweet potatoes

Red cabbage that's been sauteed with cider vinegar, brown sugar and caraway seeds

Pulled pork.

Yummmm
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    In for yummy recipes!! Thanks.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste has an amazing garlic mashed sweet potato recipe. We use that one all of the time.
  • NickDoesFitness
    NickDoesFitness Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    peel the potato, put the peelings into a frying pan with 1 cal spray, throw in some onions, peppers, small amount of jalepeno. Perf!
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Can't believe there's no sweet potato soup in this thread yet. (You can also use acorn or butternut squash instead.)

Saute a chopped yellow onion, add veggie or chicken broth, boil skinned (eat the skins!) cubed sweet potato(es) until soft. Puree the soup in a food processor or with a hand mixer, and add some cream and/or maple syrup if you'd like. Season as you see fit. I like to add turmeric and curry, or other hotter spices, to temper the sweetness of the potato and maple syrup.