But I don't want to eat another 800 calories.. :/

Replies

• Are you spending enough time in the gym.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Eat something really really calorie dense and delicious. I mean 800 calories could be a chore or it could be a delicious treat...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    For the record, I did finish off my caloric goals tonight with Ben and Jerry's (New York Super Fudge Chunk). I also want to go on record and say I didn't have a large amount.. just 1/3 a pint :)

that sounds like an ideal solution to the problem :drinker:
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Please explain!

I am currently trying to bulk while still wanting to burn off some stubborn muffin-top and work out for an hour or so lifting weights for 6 days/week and running for an hour or so most days when I can. I try to keep my carb levels below 50g but usually end up with carb levels at 90-100g.

Does this mean I need to increase my carbs to gain lean muscle? In the past carbs have made me put on fat in all the wrong places. Obviously I need to research this some more.

Carbs do not make you fat. Eating too many calories is what makes you fat.

You are going to have a very hard time losing and gaining weight at the same time. Doesnt makes sense does it?

To bulk means to gain weight. With resistance training, proper nutrition and a moderate calorie surplus you can try to gain a higher percentage of muscle in that weight gain but some will still be fat.

To lose weight you need to be in a calories deficit. A moderate calorie deficit, proper nutrition and resistance training will help retain your muscle while you burn off mostly fat.

The third option is to try to do both at the same time. Where you eat as close to maintenance calories as you can, get proper nutrition along with resistance training. Also called body recomposition or recomp for short. Very slow process because you spend very little time at the state to do either effectively. I am talking about months of work to shift a little weight one way or the other. Females might have an even tougher time with a recomp because they are already slower to gain muscle but just as fast to gain fat as males.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it is the body recomp I would like to achieve. I am not fat or overweight by any means (BF says I'm too skinny) but I would like to lower my body fat percentage from 27% to around 20% but also get bigger muscles at the same time, or at least not lose the muscles that are already there. This whole thread has led me to another question, which I will ask in it's own thread so as not to derail this one.

I have lost fat before on a pretty strict low carb diet but don't know how many calories I was eating at the time. Enjoyed lots of butter and steak/lamb chops/fish/salads and fruit though so it wasn't what I would think was low calorie.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    This is not a goal I would usually be able to advise on... gaining weight has never been a problem for me. However, last year i was undergoing radiation therapy and was on a very strict diet which had been incredibly successful in getting me toward my weight loss goal. Of course, it was hard news to hear but when they are shooting radiation into your brain they want to make sure your body has calories it needs to do healing. I had to add as many as 1200 calories a day to my strict 1200 calorie diet. Doing this was emotionally difficult to start and doing it without starting to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's a day was difficult. The good news was that they meant it when they said my body needed the calories, I managed to not gain a pound during that time even though I sometimes ate as much as 1500 calories more. (Of course, having gotten used to that new level of calories, when the radiation stopped I DID gain weight, LOL)

The easiest ways for me to get the calories throughout the day (another piece of the puzzle that was important) were handfuls of nuts (I was required to eat almonds and brazil nuts every day because they are good for the brain) and drink protein shakes. These became my snacks several times a day.

If this is not helpful, feel free to move on to the next post... I wish you the best.
  • JobyHux
    JobyHux Posts: 178 Member
    Joby - There's a guy in the gym that says/does the same thing.. and... he's fat. Yes, I know he's got massive muscles under all that fat, but he's still fat. I'll stick to my 3500 calories, 1-2lbs a week gains :) Just have to be consistent..

Nice! Keep doing what you're doing if your seeing good gains. Ive always been a bigger guys and with that being said, muscle growth has always been pretty easy for me (guys in high school always asked what i take to gain so quick, i just love to eat) BUT cutting the fat is my challenge. haha
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Well, I guess I was just concerned at what people were telling you to eat! Glad to hear you eat well!
    he's trying to put on weight.

higher calorie foods- that people claim are "dirty" are your best friend.

Trying to eat over 3000 calories EVERY single day- regardless of if you are hungry is a chore.

Bulking is not the time to be concerned with how clean one's food is.

Waldo as usual- saves the day.
    I guess it is the body recomp I would like to achieve
    body recomp takes forever- waldo can expound- but there is a reason why body builders bulk and cut- it's a more efficient use of their time.

Pick one and go for it- recomping will probably leave you frustrated and not seeing results.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Well, I guess I was just concerned at what people were telling you to eat! Glad to hear you eat well!
    he's trying to put on weight.

higher calorie foods- that people claim are "dirty" are your best friend.

Trying to eat over 3000 calories EVERY single day- regardless of if you are hungry is a chore.

Bulking is not the time to be concerned with how clean one's food is.

Waldo as usual- saves the day.
    I guess it is the body recomp I would like to achieve
    body recomp takes forever- waldo can expound- but there is a reason why body builders bulk and cut- it's a more efficient use of their time.

Pick one and go for it- recomping will probably leave you frustrated and not seeing results.

QFT.

You rock Jo.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    This is why I buy a mass gainer... Depending on my macros and how much time I have left before I need to sleep, I may rely on a mass gainer shake... I have 1 available just in case, but I don't rely on it for my weight gain.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    For those who are curious (and there have been a few), I have been successful on my bulk. I am only one month in, but for the month of January, I averaged 3450 calories a day with 27% coming from Protein (about 233g a day), 28% from fat and 45% from carbs. I am in the gym 4 times a week doing a 4 day split and have seen my numbers go up pretty much every week. I have gained 8 lbs so far, BF% has stayed very low (sub 10%) and all of my measurements have increased. I'll make another post in the next day or two detailing my first month for those interested in "what I'm doing".

Also, my diary is, always has been and always will be available for anyone to view :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    1 pop tart is 200cals. 4 pop tarts = 800cals. ****loads of carbs too. My go to quick carb source when required. Don't fill you up at all either :smile:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    1 pop tart is 200cals. 4 pop tarts = 800cals. ****loads of carbs too. My go to quick carb source when required. Don't fill you up at all either :smile:

But...the sugar.
  • Eat 15 Oreos. 800 calories will be gone.

800 calories at night without carbs...Oreos are not a good choice...casein proteins, only way other than weight gainers... Have to increase intake in proteins throughout the day as you don't wanna add fat
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Eat 15 Oreos. 800 calories will be gone.

800 calories at night without carbs...Oreos are not a good choice...casein proteins, only way other than weight gainers... Have to increase intake in proteins throughout the day as you don't wanna add fat

Why without carbs? And what difference does timing make?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member

I had to peruse your other posts to see if you were being sarcastic or not. :smile:

Yes, according to old mate who wrote Carb Backloading we should be having ALL of the carbs at night.

Personally, if you want to get all particular about nutrient timing, I would have the majority around training time. Just remember that the timing is far less important than total amount.

insulin-fairy-reloaded.jpg
  • Hauntinglyfit

I had to peruse your other posts to see if you were being sarcastic or not. :smile:

Yes, according to old mate who wrote Carb Backloading we should be having ALL of the carbs at night.

Personally, if you want to get all particular about nutrient timing, I would have the majority around training time. Just remember that the timing is far less important than total amount.

insulin-fairy-reloaded.jpg

After looking at this for quite a while, FACE..BODY/ FACE...BODY... i am still very confused as to whether i'd be okay with this fairy visiting me at night or not.

I mean, i suppose it would be new and interesting..

ETA, i eat a bunch of carbs before working out or my lifts suck.
  • celiacgirl1
    celiacgirl1 Posts: 15 Member
    I am finding it so difficult to eat the number of calories I need to gain weight.
    My pie chart is heavy on fat and carbs as I am eating avocados, nut butters and adding coconut oil to smoothies to add calories. All I have managed to do is make myself feel bloated and gassy:( and I'm still not making my calorie goal. I have celiac disease and IBS, I'm eat fish and eggs, but no other animal products. I have yet to eat 1630 calories. Any ideas? No wheat, barley rye (gluten), no dairy and no meat or poultry!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Oreo's are an amazing choice for mass gainers- milk + oreo- how is this EVER a bad idea!!!! you cannot eat 3000+ calories in protein a day- it's not realistic- or healthy or conducive to building muscle. They are called macros- protein carbs and fat- and you need all three. Not just one.

QFT.

You rock Jo.

it's all Waldo's fault I am the way I am!!! LOL. But thank you.

LMAO- carb fairy. LULZ- my cats would eat him I think.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    I am finding it so difficult to eat the number of calories I need to gain weight.
    My pie chart is heavy on fat and carbs as I am eating avocados, nut butters and adding coconut oil to smoothies to add calories. All I have managed to do is make myself feel bloated and gassy:( and I'm still not making my calorie goal. I have celiac disease and IBS, I'm eat fish and eggs, but no other animal products. I have yet to eat 1630 calories. Any ideas? No wheat, barley rye (gluten), no dairy and no meat or poultry!

Wow, that's a lot of food you can't eat. I can see why this would be difficult for you.

I also have coeliacs and eat a lot of rice, potatoes and other starches...You could maybe cook up some fried rice with fish and eggs in it? Make some kind of shrimp stir-fry?

Coconut milk/cream products are very calories dense - a can has around 1000 calories, which you can sip on throughout the day or cook into a curry.

I also personally find baked bananas to be a godsend... Seriously: bake some bananas in your oven, microwave them, eat them with a bit of sugar, cinnamon and/or dairy free ice cream and you could probably down an easy 2000kcal in minutes, I know I could.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    This thread is better than school. Thanks guys! Muscles are the answer to so many issues. I'm a completely different creature now that I have some.

Can anyone answer me this? Why does Lyle McDonald advocate low fat when bulking? He may have changed his tune, or not be very highly rated here, but if seem to remember him saying that your excess cals are less likely to go to fat and more likely to go to muscle if there is a higher protein and carb content.

Is there anything in this? Or is it a way to lull fat phobes like me in to spending money on his diets?