Am I too sensitive...

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Tone can be hard to read on the internet. That and yeah, some people can be harsh on forums. That goes for ANY forum, not just MFP. I wouldn't say you're been too sensitive, but it doesn't hurt to get a thick skin before using online forums.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Welcome to the board. There is good to be had, and bad to walk away from. When you've been here a little longer, hopefully you will have found some people you can connect with and some people you'll not even bother to read. There are folks I enjoy playing games with and those I trust to answer my questions about exercise and diet and then there are folks who have actually become friends (or who were friends and have come to this board because I say it works for me, LOL) it doesn't work for everyone.

Good luck on your journey.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Okay, first of all.. This forum is full of a lot of sarcasm, so is the internet.
    It's not about thick skin, it's about blending in and following the joke to the next level :flowerforyou:
    But if you can't, don't worry. It's not for everyone.

If someone bothers you on here, ignore it and go onto the next person. Simple.

No one on here has anything to do with you or any say WHATSOEVER in your personal life, that's your power for you to hold onto yourself.

Just smile and go with it :flowerforyou:

Edit: Typo.
    Sorry, I'm on strong coffee.. My fingers are speeding bullets atm.

I'll have what you are having, fix me a cup!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    If this has anything to do with your "Shakelogy" post, in which you asked ""Are they a waste of my money? If so, why?", and posters responded with honest answers to your question, then Yes, you are too sensitive.

This is why we are friends. :flowerforyou:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    If this has anything to do with your "Shakelogy" post, in which you asked ""Are they a waste of my money? If so, why?", and posters responded with honest answers to your question, then Yes, you are too sensitive.

No silly, I was accused of being a spammer :grumble:

So, you interpreted one post suggesting that you actually promoting Shakeology and only pretending to ask questions as "rude" and extended that into claiming that a lot of people on the forums are rude? In that case, you're definitely too sensitive.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    I have found that people on this site particularly, are more inclined to give really stern, staunch OPINIONS on things, and these opinions vary from person to person. You make take someone's opinion as being "rude" - and it very well may be - but this is the interwebs and there are only words to convey a message, so it's largely left up to YOU how to interpret it. Maybe opinions should be accompanied by gifs to indicate what the writer means.

I once told someone on a "before and after" picture that she looked like she was pregnant before (she DID) and everyone jumped all over me - I didn't mean it rudely but I could see how it could be taken that way and I felt bad because I really wasn't being mean! Words are just words without appropriate communication to accompany them!

Some people are just mean but I don't see it that often. JustiIgnore them. Don't let the opinion of a stranger bother you if they are being mean, and don't take other people's opinions personally.
  • No you are not being too sensitive... there are some crazy/ignorant people on here............Just be prepared for "negative people" because they are everywhere........
  • If this has anything to do with your "Shakelogy" post, in which you asked ""Are they a waste of my money? If so, why?", and posters responded with honest answers to your question, then Yes, you are too sensitive.

So, you interpreted one post suggesting that you actually promoting Shakeology and only pretending to ask questions as "rude" and extended that into claiming that a lot of people on the forums are rude? In that case, you're definitely too sensitive.

Oh boy, whatever.

Do we have a rolling eyes smiley??????

Just an FYI, It wasn't just in my Shakeology thread and I noticed it in other members threads as well.
  • No you are not being too sensitive... there are some crazy/ignorant people on here............Just be prepared for "negative people" because they are everywhere........

Tanx :flowerforyou:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Sometimes I think it depends on the questions asked. For people who have been around quite a while it can be difficult to see their 1,000th "I'm eating 500 calories a day, losing my hair, and unable to stay awake, what could be wrong?!" thread or the millionth shakeology/body by vi/whatever quick fix post because those are usually started by coaches/salespeople to try and drum up business. The advice doesn't usually change. You'll get people screaming do this and others screaming violently don't do this and people in the middle giving more moderate advice.

For new comers to the boards I always suggest using the search function. Most of the questions we ask as newbies have already been answered a hundred times over and a few minutes looking through past threads can usually find an answer.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member

Oh boy, whatever.

Just an FYI, It wasn't just in my Shakeology thread and I noticed it in other members threads as well.

:noway: <--sort of??
    :huh: <--kinda? Idk lol
    :yawn: <----...maybe?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    If you have to ask...
  • If this has anything to do with your "Shakelogy" post, in which you asked ""Are they a waste of my money? If so, why?", and posters responded with honest answers to your question, then Yes, you are too sensitive.

Oh boy, whatever.

Haha, thanks, I will have to remember to use them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Oh boy, whatever.

Haha, thanks, I will have to remember to use them.

:yawn: :huh: :noway:
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Generally, in all avenues of life, people are *kitten*. When they have a tiny piece of knowledge thrown into that, they become know it all self righteous *kitten*. And thus you have internet forums!

Edit: You know, where applicable. I'm not saying everyone on here is a self righteous *kitten*. Most people are just annoying with it (like every thread MUST REFERENCE MODERATION. lol) -- so in some cases you may be a little sensitive, but that's okay. :-)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    or do a lot of people on here have attitudes?

I ask a question and I get a lot of negative responses. Not always, there are many of you that are phenomenal in constructive criticism and I thank you for that.

And I'm not just speaking for myself. There are many newcomers on here that are in need of help and are steered away from this community because of the negative feedback.

Just my opinion and I would love to hear yours.

Just my opinion but there are plenty of stupid negative people on here as well as plenty of decent ones.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    I think there are many people on here with strong opinions. We have all shaped up using our own ways, some tweaked from conventional methods and some strictly following a diet/exercise regime. I think that we all do what works for us but there are a few fellow MFP people who think they know everything and get a bit sarcastic when people who are starting out don't quite yet understand the ins and outs of weight loss and eating healthy. On the whole I have found these forums informative and most people are friendly enough but I sometimes think twice about posting a topic as I am worried about getting told off by the major health freaks with opinions.

Also people can be a bit mean by one little typo...

I think at the end of the day forums tend to be positive and negative, that's the internet for u, if u don't want the answer, don't ask the question :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I would strongly advise any "newcomers" stay off the forums until they know what's going on and how things work.

Sounds odd right?

I only say that because "some" people look at the forums as Entertainment and Fun Time. Which is fine for them but comes off very hurtful, mean and even rude to others.

It sounds odd because as a newcomer, the first thought might be to jump in and be part of the community, when in reality, sometimes a few good friends can get you on your way and THEN jump into the forums. Anything goes on these forums. Don't believe me? hang out and read for a while.

Start with a couple fiends and know your way around things. Then hop on the forums. Otherwise, discouragement could drive you off the site and for some that means giving up on their goals.

My advice wouldn't be to stay completely away from the forums, but to lurk for awhile and get a feel for how things work and which posters know their stuff.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Starts shakeology thread.

Then starts this.

Lmfao!
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    just break up.

or just a&d ointment.