How to be polite?

Options

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Im a lady grunter. And if someone asked me to tone it down i'd be mortified. then i'd ignore them and carry on as i was. i can't stop the noises- it's the effort put in, not the weight lifted. I also grunt on the hard parts of hill runs, and essentially during a lot of exercises.
    I agree that if the noises make you uncomfortable then be somewhere else.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why it bothers you to the point where you would leave the gym because of it.

We all have different tolerances. My limit, apparently, is hearing "sex" noises from a young man about the same age as my son. I am sure other women would love hearing those noises.

Can't you just tell yourself that those are work out noises, unless they are sex noises, because the guy is having sex in the gym.
    I am a woman and don't quite understand why your interpretation of his noises are his responsibility .
    And to be honest; with my 66 years I have had sex a few times and I would say that sex noises are nothing like gym noises.....unless of course I did not do it right.
    i brought a friend to the gym with me and he told me about half way through that i need to stop making sex noises, although they were not loud i guess it sounded sexual to him:blushing:

lol...oops...i had no idea.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I don't think there is a polite way to ask him to tone it down. I am surprised you can't drown him out with your music. My gym sometimes gets loud grunters, and while it doesn't bother me personally, my earbuds block out any and all loud noise. Maybe invest in some different buds?

Makes me wonder if people think I'm making sex noises when I breath/sigh heavy when I use weights. :huh:
  • Thimbelinda
    Thimbelinda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a polite way to ask him to tone it down. I am surprised you can't drown him out with your music. My gym sometimes gets loud grunters, and while it doesn't bother me personally, my earbuds block out any and all loud noise. Maybe invest in some different buds?

Makes me wonder if people think I'm making sex noises when I breath/sigh heavy when I use weights. :huh:

Maybe you are right. I might need to invest in some noise cancellation headphones, after all I had my iPod at max volume.
  • TallDave4296
    Options
    I totally agree! !! ;)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Crank the volume and work out harder!!! Get laser focus on what you're doing and ignore others who are inconsequential. You will stop being bothered by the noisy dude (I got one who roars through the tough parts of his workouts- but I get amused by it), and you will see better results for your efforts. Win-win!!! Go get em tiger!!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why it bothers you to the point where you would leave the gym because of it.

We all have different tolerances. My limit, apparently, is hearing "sex" noises from a young man about the same age as my son. I am sure other women would love hearing those noises.

Well, as it is YOUR limit, perhaps you should start reconditioning yourself to think of it as "workout" or "exertion" noises instead of "sex" noises.

Or start working out so hard you make some noise of your own!
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just ignore him. That's what I did the other day when this guy was grunting (Okay first I looked at my mom and kinda smiled) but after that I ignored him and he went away on his own.
  • Thimbelinda
    Thimbelinda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is there a polite way to ask a "sexual" grunter to tone down the noise?

Here is the situation. Guy is grunting, sighing and moaning. He is doing this for every lift no matter weight size, even when doing pull ups. I felt very uncomfortable. My iPod volume was maxed out. I was about to leave when he packed up to leave. I believe grunting has its purpose. I believe in his right to grunt. I also believe we both should have the opportunity to utilize the gym without molestation.

Not looking for a debate, just some "friendly" advice. Is there a way we can coexist in harmony? I am hoping there is a way to work this out politely, rather than having to leave whenever he is there.

For all those that didn't actually read the post. I mentioned "grunting, sighing and moaning"

I have been to many gyms over the years and never before heard a lifter sighing and moaning as he worked out. Deep guttural sounds of pushing your limits to the max do not involved sensual moaning.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I don't know about other women, but my brain doesn't register gym grunting as "sex noises".
    Perhaps the issue isn't with the actual noise, but with the way you think of it.

You should have seen this one guy at my old gym. Not only did he grunt and moan, he basically dry humped the floor when stretching between sets and I am sure he was trying to seduce the smith machine. It didn't help that he wore really really tight pants. It had to be seen to be believed. I tried to video him surreptitiously, but never managed to get a good shot. It was both disturbing and hysterical at the same time.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Being a former Army Combat Medic, I have spent a lot of time around men, in and out of the gym. I assure you I can tell the difference. Thanks anyway for your "friendly" advice.

Is this because you dont like what you are hearing? I think you are over-reacting too, but hey ho, when everybody else on the forum pretty much tells you the same thing, dont bother taking their advice. Just wait a while until someone tells you what you want to hear.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You do realize pull ups are one of the most difficult exercises... If I do grunt at the gym, it's usually while performing squats, deadlifts or pull ups.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I joined an all women's gym...that way its more comfortable.

you prefer to listen to the sex noises of females instead of from males? me too! *high fives*

LOL NO! It's just more comfortable and cleaner. Plus none of us don't really make any form of noise lol.
    Totally unclassy! ha

I grunt occasionally on a really heavy set.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Is he good looking? Could you include it into a fantasy that could make you workout harder?
  • macbrian87
    Options
    totally agree that some people at the gym can be borderline obnoxious. Of course it's ok to make a sound here and there and pursue you own 'workout-style', but there's the occasional grunt and then there's the grunts you cannot even tune out with your ipod on max. But, unfortunately there really is no polite way to ask him to grunt less :D
    Just try to avoid him. Or maybe talk to other people in the gym, see what they think, that way you might find out if you're really the only one who perceives it that way (as many here have suggested). Other than that, keep your sense of humor and don't let it discourage you!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a serious public nuisance where multiple people at the gym are having the same problems with it, then I would say it's your problem, not his.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    ...Molestation?! Get better headphones
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I ignore. I don't wear headsets and my workouts are intense enough where everything around me gets drowned out
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Replay the noises for him! Maybe he doesn't realise just how loud he is or how sexual he sounds. Everytime he makes the noises you make them as well! Mirror his reps and noises exactly!! Maybe he'll realise how annoying it is! Lol. Sometimes people just don't realise how annoying they sound!!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Is there a polite way to ask a "sexual" grunter to tone down the noise?

Here is the situation. Guy is grunting, sighing and moaning. He is doing this for every lift no matter weight size, even when doing pull ups. I felt very uncomfortable. My iPod volume was maxed out. I was about to leave when he packed up to leave. I believe grunting has its purpose. I believe in his right to grunt. I also believe we both should have the opportunity to utilize the gym without molestation.

Not looking for a debate, just some "friendly" advice. Is there a way we can coexist in harmony? I am hoping there is a way to work this out politely, rather than having to leave whenever he is there.

I dunno, but it would drive me nuts too.

This is the exact same reason that I had to stop watching women's tennis on the TV, the continual, stupid grunting noises drove me insane and are frankly, unnecessary and used as gamesmanship.

He is doing it to make you notice him I reckon haha