How to stay motivated while being depressed/after a relapse?

Options

Replies

• nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yeah, #9 was/is important for me because I have a dysfunctional relationship with food in general. I do know about the health benefits of fasting and in general I think it can be a good thing; I forgot to mention it (+ is my list kind of a lot about structure. structured days, structured sleep, structured fitness and eating etc) and even though fasting can have good benifits, it can mess the rest up a little bit (if you are too focussed on food, I mean.)

and I think having some days where you do simply nothing is absolutely fine (and sometimes NECESSARY), I absolutely agree! Sometimes you NEED the rest and it's especially for your mind.
    I just stressed the 'small but daily' exercise so much because while working in a psychiatry I got to know how many people struggled with getting out of bed. It was not about a workout, it was not even about a 5 minute walk in the park.
    And I know that feeling, both the one where your body feels so eternally heavy that you cannot get up and simply the lethargy.
    And the regular activity is simply for breaking out of this vicious cycle of lethargy.

But it's hard to tell the difference, sometimes. And I agree that I have my days where I don't want to do ANYTHING and where it's perfectly fine to do so. It's not always about pushing myself. And if you have a slight idea of what you REALLY need right now, I think it's perfectly fine to listen to whatever your body tells you :)

and thank you all so much for these awesome replies :blushing:
  • nenshali
    Options
    :heart:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :-)
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I came in here fully expecting to see something much less positive than this. Living with some conditions myself it drives me insane to see them used as crutch or excuse. That is not at all what I found here.

Thank you so much OP for these workable reminders and motivators. Well done :flowerforyou:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have a loved one who suffers from dysthymia as well. Thank you for posting this, I will be forwarding it to them!
  • nenshali
    Options
    Aww I'm so thankful for all of your positive reactions :flowerforyou:
  • losing4life69
    Options
    I really wish MFP have a "like" button! <3
  • nenshali
    Options
    Thank you so much ♥
  • Lynzigzagzay
    Lynzigzagzay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Such a good post. Definitely going to come back and read this every now and then. Thanks OP!
  • richmalb
    Options
    Anyone on here using fitbit? Need some buddies on there too

Thanks
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    really glad I found this! especially the link to the why we eat what we do when we binge/emotional eat.

crazy that I just posted about my struggle with emotional eating on here.

totally saving that website in my bookmarks. :flowerforyou:
  • nenshali
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'm so glad it was helpful for you! I'm using that website over and over again as well :laugh:
    And thanks for your compliments you all :blushing:
    I'm always part of afraid when I read the comments that someone might say what kind of bull**** I said or something like that :laugh:
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This is vvery important. Bumping
  • pixeeedusty
    Options
    wow I really needed to read this today, and I am going to print it out so I can reference it later when I need to.
    It explains a lot!
  • nenshali
    Options
    I'm so glad if I could be helpful :flowerforyou:
  • kait_fitzpatrick
    Options
    Thank you. I needed to read this!
  • weliveaswedream
    weliveaswedream Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for compiling this. As someone who has been struggling with depression for a long time, these are all things I know but it's so nice to have it in one place. I'm bookmarking the page so I can read it again the next time I'm struggling.
  • nenshali
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • dmegan012
    dmegan012 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I really needed this today. I've been struggling with my depression and anxiety the past few days, and it's been very hard to make myself exercise.