swimming at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    as far as etiquette goes, it doesn't really matter. it would just seem to me that bikinis are more for hanging out and looking cute and what nor vs actually working in them.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I sometimes swim laps in a bikini, (not much going on up top to worry about:grumble: ) but my main reason for buying a gym-specific suit is the pool EATS MY BIKINIS! My gym uses bromine instead of chlorine, which is less harsh on your lungs but really rough on fabric. Depending on what chemicals your gym uses, your cute bikinis may get all faded and baggy really quickly! I am not positive, but I think sports suits are built to withstand the chemicals more than fashion suits. You can find sporty two-pieces as well.

This is very good to know. Thanks
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I sometimes swim laps in a bikini, (not much going on up top to worry about:grumble: ) but my main reason for buying a gym-specific suit is the pool EATS MY BIKINIS! My gym uses bromine instead of chlorine, which is less harsh on your lungs but really rough on fabric. Depending on what chemicals your gym uses, your cute bikinis may get all faded and baggy really quickly! I am not positive, but I think sports suits are built to withstand the chemicals more than fashion suits. You can find sporty two-pieces as well.
    Yup. Many competitive swimmers will actually wear two suits when they practice for fear of the dreaded crotch break.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Funny, my pool just put up a sign the other day forbidding bikinis. I asked why(although I'd never wear one for laps--for all the reasons already given) and the instructor told me you'd never believe what you'd see once women start swimming.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    A bikini is for a beach where you don't move. Keep everything in place in a one piece for actually moving! haha
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yup. Many competitive swimmers will actually wear two suits when they practice for fear of the dreaded crotch break.

THey do it for the extra drag.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

THey do it for the extra drag.
    One of my old co-workers is a synchronized swimmer, her suit broke while she was practicing one time, after that she always wore two suits.