Today at the gym

Options
124»

Replies

• tulip_in_a_cup
    tulip_in_a_cup Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this too, I go to the gym six days a week to lift weights and use the elliptical and cycles. I always remind myself that no one knows what my goals are except for me. It's not up to them to worry about what you are doing. Be proud!
  • aurora15
    aurora15 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I pretended nobody was there and did my own thing. This is my health and I am in charge!

Or... you can be super friendly and say HELLO! can you help me? :) I tried both lol

deep breaths, and you will feel better knowing that you did it for yourself
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

Know what you need to do- and go do it. Women are everywhere- we make up what over 50% of the population- no one should ever be shocked when a woman walks into the free weight area.

Should and are=two different things. Don't try to tell me everyone's gyms are exactly alike. I live in a small town with very little diversity of any kind so my experience might be different from yours.

I don't wear headphones and neither do they. There is music in the free weight area where we work out.

I guess I just get annoyed at all these other women dismissing other women's experiences and feelings. You have good experiences, great. So do, I. But don't pretend that only your experiences are valid. I'm nearly 41 years old and I have been lifting weights in a variety of settings since 2000. So what I've been through and what you've been through might be a generational issue.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Know what you need to do- and go do it. Women are everywhere- we make up what over 50% of the population- no one should ever be shocked when a woman walks into the free weight area.

Should and are=two different things. Don't try to tell me everyone's gyms are exactly alike. I live in a small town with very little diversity of any kind so my experience might be different from yours.

I don't wear headphones and neither do they. There is music in the free weight area where we work out.

I guess I just get annoyed at all these other women dismissing other women's experiences and feelings. You have good experiences, great. So do, I. But don't pretend that only your experiences are valid. I'm nearly 41 years old and I have been lifting weights in a variety of settings since 2000. So what I've been through and what you've been through might be a generational issue.

I'm not dismissing their feelings- I have been lifting for longer than you- and I still have to tie up my boot straps and step to it when I'm at a new gym. there is always that moment when you walk into a new place where you KNOW all eyes are on you. It is what it is. It happens at every new gym. Still go in and handle your buisness.

That was more a comment toward the fact there is no reason men should be shocked to see a woman in the weight room. Seriously- it's NOT a crisis. It has nothing to do with a woman feeling insecure- that's another issue all together. Seriously- it's not like we magically transform from street clothes to gym clothes- and neither do they.

And the bulk of the people wear headphones- so i'ts a pretty fair statement to make. And it helps if you are insecure to have them- you can keep to your own world. But it doesn't matter if you have head phones or not- go in and handle your chit.

I wasn't belittling anyone.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'm not quite sure the guys know what it can be like to be looked at as the only woman in a room full of guys (in certain contexts). So I'm not big on guys saying women are imagining it. I do agree that folks look up when someone walks into a room where there are mostly 'regulars'.

It's funny, I was scoping out a new gym the other day and forgot to notice the men (or anyone) in the free weights section. A trainer was vaguely showing me around, and I walked in and jumped right on the roman chair to see how theirs fit me/felt. Every time I go to check a place out I forget to notice the actual people at the gym, lol. I'm looking at all the equipment, so if I get stares I have no idea about it.

That trainer found me because I was looking around, btw. It's fine to look around when you are new. How else do you even know where to go or what equipment they have? I wasn't 'lost'; I was checking out the equipment as a potential new member. I still must have looked like someone looking for something, but that's normal if you are new, I'd think.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    stare right back at the lunks, or flash a huge smile. predators only prey on what they deem weak. you did exactly what they wanted...left.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I can COMPLETELY relate! I am a veteran at weight lifting too, I used to be a college athlete and I had to lift with the football and basketball players - I was insecure then and I'm insecure now.

I swear, every time I walk into the weights section it's all uncomfortable glances in my direction. I don't think anyone literally stops what they're doing, but they look at me and in my mind I think "yea he's just checkin me out cuz i'm a hottie!" even though that's the furthest thing from the truth.

Then I walk to the weight rack and grab the 15 or 17.5 pounders and start doing SOMETHING. Usually its random because I'm so nervous and guys are looking at me so strangely I almost forget what I walked into the weight section to do!

When I started working out last month the FIRST time I went to the weights section I felt so stared-at and so ridiculous just doing normal weight lifting, I started incorporating these ridiculous karate-type kicks into my lifting reps. Honest to god - EVERYONE looked away once I started doing the kicks. I looked horribly ridiculous and everyone stopped staring at me. It actually made me feel way more comfortable though...
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sarah, I asked the PT that showed me around but he told me that 'girls don't lift' and I should use the treadmill. I'll scope out another PT who looks like they know what they're talking about..

Thanks for your replies!

WHAT! He/She needs to be hit over the head with a dumbbell!!! What an idiot!
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I get this whenever I step foot inside the free weight area, and guess what? I know I'm a badass, I know what I'm doing, and I love getting stronger. I could care less if the guys stare. Well actually, I just tell myself they are staring because they know I'm a badass too! Lol ;) My advice: just get it done and remember that you, too, are a badass!
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated by the men at your gym. Just walk into the free weight area with confidence, wear your head phones, and take care of business. If you're scared, you're dead in the water.
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't take it personally. People stare all the time. They look at you when you're overweight, they look at you when you're normal and they will look at you when you're muscular, so better start getting used to it and don't be intimidated. Heck, I look at people who walk into the free weights section too. I like to being able to recognize who's sitting next to me in case they decide to hit me over the head with a dumbbell and run.
  • blahblah123314
    blahblah123314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Like Nike says, Just do it. Seriously, once you start going to that area regularly, your fears will subside. I was terrified to start lifting in front of people, but I sucked it up one day and walked over there. Go with a plan, maybe just start off with a few moves, bodybuilding.com's exercise database has videos that show you how to do an exercise- super helpful! Honestly, the guys don't really care, everyone looks around during, especially durings rests.

I tend to avoid the free weights area when it's super packed but I'm just anti-social at the gym like that. Just start, I believe in you :)
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just give the 'sup head nod, and walk in there like you own the place :flowerforyou:
  • Renegade706
    Options
    Agree with most of the comments your getting, Your not going to be a beginner and not feel uncomfortable or nervous, hell thats not just the gym thats about any new thing you attempt. The main thing is not to let being uncomfortable be an excuse to not do it. Almost everyone who has ever accomplished anything in the gym had nervous days in the beginning, just push through it anyway. I promise you lifting will change your body like nothing else! Good luck I got faith in ya!
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I went to the free weights. I saw people lifting way more than I could and I wasn't sure about some of the lifting I was doing. After awhile I said "eff it" and realized I would never improve or learn if I did not just do it. Maybe people look to see the new person or whatever. I just know you have to start somewhere and I would rather be the person working out and doing it rather then person not working out.