Options

Replies

• bernicesmission
    Options
    keep!
  • SandyQ229
    SandyQ229 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    wow this is so me. and it really hit home. thank you so much for posting this!!
  • MaryGrace1965
    MaryGrace1965 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What a great read. Wow!! I am not a runner and will never be because of my knees but I was that girl! When I first started on this life style change I could barely breathe and I still sweat like that. : ) I get that from my mother. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing. I too will print this out and put it in my journal. : ) You made my day!!!!!!
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Love this. I am not a runner, but I go to the gym, and I still have to talk myself up to actually go in front of people and work out. I have printed this to place it on my fridge. Thank you for posting. :flowerforyou:
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    yes, it has been posted before but so awesome it deserves to be posted often. Thanks for sharing. :drinker:
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This made me tear up. I've always been the "fat girl" since I started puberty. I was teased mercilessly and called Miss Piggy all throughout my school years. It makes it hard to get out and be seen. The sweat usually mixes with tears of frustration and jealousy at the other runners who seem to do it so effortlessly. I am growing up now, ignoring the taunting voices of my childhood in my head and getting out there.

I ran for the first time in probably 20 years this past saturday. It was only a quarter of a mile...but I RAN!

Thank you for this post. I am going to have to reread it again and again.

:heart:
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wish I would have seen this when I started running. Beautiful! Thank you for posting it!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Most of us have been that 'fat girl' before, this is such a lovely post. I wish I had read it when I first started out...
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I love this so much.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I refer to this a lot. When I started exercising at 399 # I was only walking. Everyone was staring and laughing. I KNEW they were. I wish I'd read this then. I found it through the blogs last Summer, it is worth the repost. Again and again.
  • shaydenee
    Options
    bump so i can read it again and again.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Being that fat girl sucked. When I crossed the line on my first 5k, it was so liberating that I lifted my arms in the air and cried. That was when I finally said goodbye to the fat girl. I was a runner. I had fought my body the whole way...Through stitches and shin splints, gasping for breath, sweating through all my clothes... And when I got over that finish line, I realised I had won.
    Every time I feel like I don't want to go for a run (it's too cold outside, I'm tired, any excuse) I remember how hard I fought to be ABLE to run. And then I go.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a "like" button on MFP forum.

me too.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was very touching, once you made it past the second paragraph. I always admire ANY runners I see out there, such dedication.
  • geeberscreepers
    geeberscreepers Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Teared up a little reading this... I always feel like the fat girl at the gym, it takes a lot of courage for me to leave the locker room because I feel like everyone stares at me sweating and panting, thinking that I don't belong there. I will remember these words next time!
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was going to the gym a year and a half ago as a futile attempt to be healthy and I felt like that girl. I only went after work at 10:30 at night. Every time I did something wrong or couldn't lift as much as I did the week before I would feel so embarrassed. Sometimes I broke down and had to leave. I couldn't deal with the mirrors or the people or the numbers being too high here and too low there. Then the boyfriend I was with left me, my sweet beagle died in my arms of cancer and a friend lost his life in a car accident and I just couldn't handle it anymore. I don't know if I'll go back to the gym again any time soon but I hope people saw me as that girl and didn't scoff at my mistakes or laugh behind my back.
  • ezloshead
    Options
    Kids called me Miss Piggy too. It hurt to be dehumanized and made into a caricature.
  • ezloshead
    Options
    This made me tear up. I've always been the "fat girl" since I started puberty. I was teased mercilessly and called Miss Piggy all throughout my school years. It makes it hard to get out and be seen. The sweat usually mixes with tears of frustration and jealousy at the other runners who seem to do it so effortlessly. I am growing up now, ignoring the taunting voices of my childhood in my head and getting out there.

I ran for the first time in probably 20 years this past saturday. It was only a quarter of a mile...but I RAN!

Thank you for this post. I am going to have to reread it again and again.

:heart:

I meant to quote you with my last comment. Sorry, still figuring this stuff out!
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This made my heart sing.
  • NancieFeatherston
    NancieFeatherston Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love this! :wink: Thanks for sharing it again!